Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

Corrosion on battery hold downs?

Was checking the fluid in my house batteries and noticed quite a bit of corrosion on the battery hold downs, has anyone had this issue? The terminals are clean and the fluid level is above the plates on all batteries..
bulldog620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see you have a 2015 fleetwood - should not be much corrosion if you have a 3 stage AC/DC converter.
My 2 cents worth: If you have a one stage (13.6V always) and always plugged in, it is probably overcharging and causing a fine acid build up on top of the battery. Cleaning with baking soda and adding a couple pennies on top of the battery may help, but you should look into upgrading to a 3 stage converter.
Of course this is N/A if you already have a 3 stage converter (about 13.2V holding, 13.6 V top off and 14.2V bulk charge)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If he has a bounder, it should be a 3 stage from the factory. If its a bounder classic it might not. Not totally sure on the bounder classic.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #4

I had some on mine before I pulled them out.They are metal so subject to rust already. All in the gassing of the batteries and then they are open to the weather and there you go. On the '16 I know they paint the terminals and connectors in that red anti corrosion (I think that's what it is) paint.
I am not experiencing any corrosion on my lithium batteries
Old 03-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

Thanks Tom, what you're saying makes sense, the monitor is showing 13.7. I've had it plugged into the house AC for maybe two months now. My girlfriend wanted to keep the fridge running for company. MJ, it's not a classic, and I never see any different voltage unless I kill the AC from the house. Its seems strange that the hold downs have the corrosion and the posts are clean. And what fun pulling the stairs off, I've got to change that.. Thank you both for your input....
Old 03-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #6

In general, you can also buy battery corrosion inhibitor from most any auto parts place, or even Walmart.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #7

Take a close look at the battery tops. Mine had some corrosion on one of the hold down. On closer inspection it looks like the hold down may have been over tightened. There looks like a small hairline crack on the edge of the hold down where the corrosion was. I cleaned and treated the hold down and put a layer of RV Goop on the suspected crack to seal that.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:46 AM   #8

My batteries were gassing and acid destroyed the battery hold downs and some of the cables. I used the spray stuff and cleaned my batteries a couple times each year.

My problem continued......

I finally decided to try adding mineral oil to the batteries to help prevent gasses from escaping.

That was 5 years ago and I have had no problems since then, I check the acid level every couple of months and still rinse off the batteries a couple times a year.

I am very happy with the mineral oil results.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:43 AM   #9

Thank you to all that took the time to respond, all good advise. I will update a little down the road...
Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Im almost positive you have an inverter / charger correct? If so, your inverter remote panel will show the different charge rates. It should show bulk, float and one other I cant remember. These are the different charge rates. If you have the better remote, you should be able to see even more info using the menu on the remote to navigate through info and settings.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:07 AM   #11

Update:
Found what I needed on line. MOJO, you were correct, I do have the three stage Magnum inverter/charger. Some of the parameters were incorrect. Everything is cleaned up and changes were made. Earlier I commented on the step removal to gain access the batteries. It appeared that the step riser was installed after the steps were attached to the frame. In order to remove the steps, I had to remove the trim angle that was attached to the floor, just above the steps. Once removed, I cut down the width of the riser, much easier to remove now. Thanks to all for your feed back. Hitting the road in early April....
Old 03-23-2017, 06:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Im almost positive you have an inverter / charger correct? If so, your inverter remote panel will show the different charge rates. It should show bulk, float and one other I cant remember. These are the different charge rates. If you have the better remote, you should be able to see even more info using the menu on the remote to navigate through info and settings.
Absorb...

Tags
battery