Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #1

Talking Cost of Ownership Comparison

I know this is a challenging question, with all the possible variables and scenarios, but here goes anyway. We have been RV trailering since 2003 and absolutely love the freedom and many traveling advantages that come with a home on wheels.... We just sold our 32' trailer and will be back looking for a much larger Class A diesel Fleetwood unit for either fulltime or part-time retirement adventures.

The question and challenge we are pondering is what makes the most sense fiscally....
1) Sell the brick home and going on the road
2) Keep the brick home base and going for long trips throughout the year?

I know that the RV itself is a massive initial investment but we were in the process of building a comparison spreadsheet when it hit me that there might be someone else that might have already gone down this road.

Thanks in advance for any help this amazing forum of RV guru's might be able to offer....
jmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know about "fiscally," but we would never sell our home. We are strictly vacationers.

You might check out the "Full Timers" section of the forum to see what considerations others have made before making the plunge!! Good luck.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are looking at getting a RV home.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404683026.874365.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  61.0 KB

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

Brian, we are looking at that one too!!! Great looking floorplan!
Old 07-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #5

I agree, I would ask in the fulltime section. We sold our home and have nothing in storage. We are truly fulltime and love it. Everybody's situation is different as ice cream flavors and color choices. This is a decision you need to make since nobody knows YOUR situation better than you.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post

Attachment 67055

That's cool. Where?
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
That's cool. Where?

North of Gainesville, FL on our property. About 3 years away when DW retires. Gives us a small place when "home". Plan on traveling a lot.

Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I agree, I would ask in the fulltime section. We sold our home and have nothing in storage. We are truly fulltime and love it. Everybody's situation is different as ice cream flavors and color choices. This is a decision you need to make since nobody knows YOUR situation better than you.
Good tip, just posted over there too. Agree, everyone has different data points and priorities.

Before we re-invent the wheel.....we thought we might ask if anyone else might have already built a comparison spreadsheet.

Thank you
Old 07-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post

Attachment 67055

Where are the wheels? Is it a 5th wheel or a tow behind?
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Thanks again! How do you like your American Tradition? They are on our short-list and are big fans of the 42G floorplan! Just curious, did you also look at the Revolution model? If so, what feature(s) moved you up to the Tradition?
Old 07-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #11

We decided to go full time after some long trips and realizing that worrying about the house while gone simply wasn't worth keeping it. Especially when we only lived there a few months out of the year. Sold the house and everything in it. All the proceeds went into short term investments so we can buy another house should we chose. You do need an exit plan when full timing as you never know what tomorrow holds.
Don't know your financial situation but changing your domicile to a state with no state income tax can be a real advantage. Same with regestering vehicles. In Indiana my MH plates cost over $3K, in Florida my plates for both MH and toad for two years was $685.
There are other savings to be had in selling your house as well; property tax, lawn maintenance, utilities, etc. That said, full time may not be that much cheaper. We travel a lot, spend some times in high end resorts, eat out at local restaurants a lot more, and generally do more that takes money. Oh yea, don't forget the cost of the RV itself and associated maintenance. I don't keep track but I would guess for us it's about the same.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
We decided to go full time after some long trips and realizing that worrying about the house while gone simply wasn't worth keeping it. Especially when we only lived there a few months out of the year. Sold the house and everything in it. All the proceeds went into short term investments so we can buy another house should we chose. You do need an exit plan when full timing as you never know what tomorrow holds.
Don't know your financial situation but changing your domicile to a state with no state income tax can be a real advantage. Same with regestering vehicles. In Indiana my MH plates cost over $3K, in Florida my plates for both MH and toad for two years was $685.
There are other savings to be had in selling your house as well; property tax, lawn maintenance, utilities, etc. That said, full time may not be that much cheaper. We travel a lot, spend some times in high end resorts, eat out at local restaurants a lot more, and generally do more that takes money. Oh yea, don't forget the cost of the RV itself and associated maintenance. I don't keep track but I would guess for us it's about the same.
Awesome feedback, thank you Paul and Kathy. Those are the data points we are trying to capture to make sure we get the right start and finish to all the fun we intend to have while on the road. It seems like the best bet is to sell the bricks and sticks, hit the road for 1, 2, 4, 8.... years then settle back down in a rental or at least smaller home (kids in college now and more than likely off to their own homes next) from their. Maybe even a home with an RV garage! Just want to map all the options now and maximize on the adventure.

Tags
comparison