Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Cost to use washer and dryer

We have a washer/dryer combo that we use almost everyday for 1 to 3 loads depending on the need. We are headed north for the summer and the campground we're staying at charges for electric use. We've never had to pay extra for electric before so I'm not sure what to expect. The rent alone there is >200.00/ month compared to our current location. That being said, we have "to tighten up"! We have a 6 y/o boy and we will definitely try to be more conservative but I'm just wandering if others have any input on this. Staying at another campground isn't an option.
BINGHAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #2

Since they wash such small loads a laundry mat would be more efficient. I would think you electric bill would be mostly AC.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #3

Well let's consider the alternative. What will it cost to wash and dry at a laundromat ??
Frankly we have never seen significant increase in cost when using ours for electric.
Now I know there are those who will claim they can do wash for a $1 or 2 a load and use the big washers and toss it all in etc.
For me my clothing is treated well so that it doesn't look like crap. And frankly by the time I factor in the lugging, the gas to drive there and back, and the $20 + a week to wash and dry then nope I'll use my own
No way it will use in electric cost what it cost to go to the laundromat
That however is my opinion
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Agreed. You won't save money by pumping quarters in a machine. And the inconvenience versus doing it at home is the clincher.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #5

1-3 loads A DAY?
That's a lot of laundry. I guess there are some advantages to living alone.

I stayed in a long term cg back in 2011 in FL. They charged for electric. I did 2-3 loads per week and only ran the AC overnight as I worked during the day. I was paying 150-200 a month in electric. Certainly not cheap but I didn't have another option at that time. Take a look at what the kW hour charge is.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
1-3 loads A DAY?

I stayed in a long term cg back in 2011 in FL. They charged for electric. I did 2-3 loads per week and only ran the AC overnight as I worked during the day. I was paying 150-200 a month in electric. Certainly not cheap but I didn't have another option at that time. Take a look at what the kW hour charge is.
Yikes! I have to admit I'm ignorant when it comes to how parks price their electricity, but that is so much more expensive than you pay the utility company
Old 07-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
1-3 loads A DAY?

They say the electric charges are in that range in Yuma during the summer where the temperature seems to hardly ever to below 80 at night and 100+ during the day.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #8

Some camp ground have fishermen that show up & plug in a boatload of freezers! Thus the additional electric charges.

We do the laundromat every couple weeks. The LARGE machines, 35lbs+ for $4.00 & dry for about $2.00. We do have a Splendide 2KS that I just had to order a part for but it will be back to 100%.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
When we winter in South Texas, I string clothes line behind the motorhome, and hang the clothes. By the time the next load is washed, those hanging are dry. I never use the dryer. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #10

Thanks for all your responses. I think I mentioned we have a 6 y/o boy and also 2 dogs. So convenience is very important as I don't want to be in a laundromat a couple times a week. The washer dryer does small loads but I find by doing it often, I can keep up. I guess I'll find out. I realize an adjustment will be necessary but I'm going to try it and see. Laundramats are not cheap as I think someone mentioned earlier.
BINGHAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:39 PM   #11

Perhaps a combination solution. Such as washing the dog towels then line drying them. I suspect the dryer is your largest power consumer so anything you can line dry would be a big help such as towels. Also consider using the generator for laundry day. I'm not sure it's cost effective, but your electricity rates don't seem 'cost effective' either. If you're there long enough, you should be able to do some tests and measure the electricity usage for these various events, such as only-laundry, then only-dryer. Then dryer of bed sheets versus dryer of dog towels. If you find anything conclusive, please post, it would be interesting for the rest of us.
LittleBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Like others have said, I can't imagine that using a commercial laundry would be any cheaper than whatever electricity you'll use. Remember, the laundromat has to not only recover their costs, but make a profit. If any difference, it has to be pennies, as measured against the convenience.

Previous responses are right on. The number one consumer of electricity will be the A/C units. Being conservative in their use will reap far greater savings. Cool only the part of the coach you are using, set the thermostat a bit higher. If cool enough at night shut them down, open a window and turn on the overhead exhaust fans.

Our monthly electric bills, 45' coach, at least one load of laundry each day, on average, we'd expect to be something in the $120 - $150 range, assuming we have to run A/C 24/7.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see no mention of the electric rates the CG charges. We did experiment at a park in TX that charged 14¢/kwh, one month using the w/d, one month elsewhere.

Both months we used the AC a lot, though of course I can't say with certainty it was equal. The difference in the electric bill I think was $14. We are full-timers and do 3 small loads about twice weekly. All sheets and towels are taken to a laundromat.

BTW, I just replaced the handle I broke ($40) on the Splendide. Easy job; instructions are very clear. Just be sure you have a Torx driver to remove the door hinge. We were without a handle for 2-3 weeks; two screwdrivers (one to push, one to pull) worked fine to open the door.
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #14

At the campgrounds we have stayed at, on the Texas Gulf coast, electricity has been 13 to 15 cents per hour. Usually runs $60 to $70 per month (no washer/dryer). Laundry runs $20, once a week, at laundromat.