Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 12:54 AM   #1

Costs for Upgrades to New 2015 Bounder Classic 34(B)

Dear Folks:

I am finalizing the purchase of our new Bounder Classic 34(B) on Wednesday. Today, the dealer gave me the rough prices for various upgrades, and I wanted to see if you thought they were reasonable. I have not yet committed to these upgrades.

Upgrade to the rear end (i.e., anti-sway bar and other stuff installation) - about $1,000

Upgrade to the front end (i.e., anti-sway bar and other stuff installation) $1,000-$1,250

Increased insulation to the engine compartment (to diminish engine noise) $800-$1200

Blue Ox Dinghy towing equipment (to tow a 2016 Chevy Malibu) about $4,000

Is this about what you guys experienced, assuming you did these upgrades? This dealer does have a good reputation.

Thanks.

Bernie Poskus
BernieCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 03:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think the prices are excessive but as with anything someone is always cheaper, if the dealer stands behind the work being done for whatever reason that alone is worth something. I like your upgrades, well done. Have safe travels and enjoy your new coach.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:33 AM   #3

As far as anti sway bars, get them to do the CHF on them for 2 hours of labor, rather then replace them. Lookup CHF on this site.

Don't know much about engine noise insulation, except the 2016 6 speed model has less noise. The new configuration of the V10 engine turns at lower RPMs, making it quieter.

As far as towing, that seems to be the going rate, unless you go with a dolly for less than 1/2 the cost.

The negatives of dolly towing will come piling in, right after I post this.

As far as reputation, the dealer is there to make $, so selling upgrades helps HIM in that department.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:26 AM   #4

I installed anti-sway bar upgrades to the front and rear, using Roadmaster devices. The rear is an add on, the front a replacement. Both were around $600 each and I installed them myself. Can be done without jacking up the coach, with hand tools and some grunting. I am pleased with the improvement in handling. I've heard about the added insulation and would love to have that at their price. I tow a Saturn Vue with a Blue Ox set up. I bought the baseplate, (part that you install on the car), from Amazon for under $400, (free shipping is great when its that heavy), and again installed it myself. You better be pretty handy to do that, but again just simple hand tools, good instructions, and some patience. I picked up the tow bar on Ebay, but would recommend going for a new one as they need regular servicing. Search the internet for that- Amazon has the 10,000 version, (the stronger the better), for under $600. Their latest model is $800 and looks nice. Last would be a braking system for the tow car- there are several types, all around $1000, but can be picked up used for less. I use a Brake Buddy Vantage that I got used. Nothing to install, just set it down in front of the driver seat and plug it in. One more thing- wiring up the tow car for lights. I ordered a kit on line and spent some time crawling under the car. Blue Ox is a good choice and I'm very happy with how it works. Remember that the car must be certified by the manufacturer to tow on four wheels- otherwise you'll need to go with the tow dolly approach, or pay for some additional modifications. Good luck with your new coach!
rbylsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #5

Your upgrades fit a 34 and your coach would be the way you want it when you pick it up. I would be curious on what they are going to do to quiet the engine. That and the rough ride were the most annoying things about my Ford Chassis. Go for it.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Instead of the sound deadening, purchase a 5 star tune. Not only will it be nice and quiet but it will outperform any v10 on the road.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieCheryl View Post
Dear Folks:
I am finalizing the purchase of our new Bounder Classic 34(B) on Wednesday. Today, the dealer gave me the rough prices for various upgrades, and I wanted to see if you thought they were reasonable. I have not yet committed to these upgrades.
Upgrade to the rear end (i.e., anti-sway bar and other stuff installation) - about $1,000
Upgrade to the front end (i.e., anti-sway bar and other stuff installation) $1,000-$1,250
Increased insulation to the engine compartment (to diminish engine noise) $800-$1200
Blue Ox Dinghy towing equipment (to tow a 2016 Chevy Malibu) about $4,000
Is this about what you guys experienced, assuming you did these upgrades? This dealer does have a good reputation.
Thanks.
Bernie Poskus
BernieCheryl
IMO a "new Bounder" shouldn't need any of those "upgrades", (with the exception of the "dinghy towing equipment"... which BTW appears to be overpriced at $4,000).

I suggest you wait and see if the Bounder needs upgrading before wasting your $$.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
BernieCheryl
IMO a "new Bounder" shouldn't need any of those "upgrades", (with the exception of the "dinghy towing equipment"... which BTW appears to be overpriced at $4,000).

I suggest you wait and see if the Bounder needs upgrading before wasting your $$.

Mel
'96 Safari
I'm going to have to agree with Mel on this one... I own a 2012 F53 chassis RV and I wouldn't spend any money on "improvements" for my RV.. the new F53 chassis's are far better than the older ones... I would STRONGLY suggest you make your purchase and then drive it thru one season... after that, if you feel you need any of the chassis enhancements, go for it...

I think you're putting salt/pepper on your dinner before you've taken the first bit...

Also.. I would listen to mojoracing and get the 5-Star Tune... boy what a difference that made to our rig.. best and only money I've spent on my 2012 unit...

Good luck and enjoy the ride !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #9

I'm with Mel too on this one.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade, bounder