Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2016, 08:45 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Counter Top Dishwasher Install

I have searched somewhat for any installs of a counter top dishwasher into a motorhome cabinet and found very little. I may not be searching with the right words. So I took it upon myself to figure it out. Here's my progress so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bounder 10d.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	120305

What I want to do is remove the range and put the dishwasher there with a cook top over it. We use the oven for storage anyway so there will be no loss of anything to us. If we need an oven there isn't anything we cook that can't be done in the toaster oven that's sitting on top.

Name:	Danby DW.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	120306

I bought this Danby Counter Top Dishwasher on line. It's a simple machine with several features and by the looks of it a relatively easy install depending on where I wanted it. It is a little wider than the range but will fit into the cabinet with a little modification. Or so I thought.

After I bought the dishwasher I looked at cook tops to install over it. Was I surprised by the cost. I didn't see one for less than $200 shipped so I thought why not see if I can remove the cook top from the range and use it?

Name:	CT Front.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	120307

There it is. I removed the cook top from the oven but had to make new panels for the sides and back.

Name:	CT Gas fix.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	120309

I also removed the oven control from the gas rail and capped the opening.

Name:	CT Gas Fix 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	120310

I got a plug for the Oven opening and popped it right in. To make the sides I got some galvanized sheet metal and used the oven panels as a pattern.

Name:	CT Side Panel.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	120308

Here you can see one of the side panels. I clamped this panel to the oven side where the cook top attached to the oven and matched drilled to fit. Then I transferred the panel to the cook top bottom plate and screwed it together. The black L shaped channel came from the range and I shortened the lower leg to fit. I did this for both sides of the cook top. If you look at the first cook top pic you will see one of the cut off legs I mounted under the control panel for support and trim.

Name:	CT Rear Panel.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	120311

The back panel I made from the remnants from the side panels. The gas line goes in where the black rub strip is located. I now have a cook top for under ten dollars and a little elbow grease.

With that done I set out on the installation. First I had to figure out power and water.

Name:	Drain Plumbing.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	120312

I removed the original drain and added the white drain line with the dishwasher tee. Then I routed the water lines from the dishwasher cabinet to under the sink.

Name:	DW Cabinet Utilities.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	120314

This picture shows the water and drain lines and the electric I added.

Name:	Electric Rough In.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	120313

Here is where I have roughed in the electric. I picked up the water heater / microwave circuit and will install a switch to control the dishwasher so as to not overload the circuit. It's a 15 amp circuit and the Dishwasher draws 5 amps max. You will see on the left 2 switches for the microwave and water heater. The original installation had a single switch to go from Microwave to Heater. I reworked the switch arrangement by adding a switch to control them separately. It was a bother resetting the M-wave clock every time we wanted the water hot. Now when we nuke I just turn off the heater for a while.

That's as far as I have gotten. I will add to this thread as I go.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey that's a very cool mod! Great job!

Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, install