Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Crap

I bought a new 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35K ! year ago last may. I thought if I bought a new one my troubles would be over for a few years.Well this week we went camping for 3 days and during that time I have discovered that the small seal that is around the slide outs on the inside edge are all rotten and coming apart. Also the wiper blades needs replaced because the rubber edge is rotten. Also the battery for the engine needs replaced. What a bunch of crap that it will not even last 2 years.I did find wipers on amazon. Don't know where to buy the rubber seal that goes around the slide outs but looking. And I guess next week I will just go to Walmarks and buy a battery. Does anyone know where to buy seal.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #2

No warranties on this rig? I would think they would at least fix the slide out seal, and the battery for that matter.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did this unit come with a warranty??? Sounds like you've put together a small punch list of items that the manufacture needs to respond to.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy View Post
I bought a new 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35K ! year ago last may. I thought if I bought a new one my troubles would be over for a few years.Well this week we went camping for 3 days and during that time I have discovered that the small seal that is around the slide outs on the inside edge are all rotten and coming apart. Also the wiper blades needs replaced because the rubber edge is rotten. Also the battery for the engine needs replaced. What a bunch of crap that it will not even last 2 years.I did find wipers on amazon. Don't know where to buy the rubber seal that goes around the slide outs but looking. And I guess next week I will just go to Walmarks and buy a battery. Does anyone know where to buy seal.
I agree warranties? or DIY …. Steel rubber products.com
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #5

I agree warranty! Hurry up and contact REV customer service with your list before the warranty expires. I had the same issue with the small seals around the slides being dry rotted and the dealer replaced them. The dry rot was caused by the RV sitting on the dealer's lot in the hot Florida sun and the seals not being treated. I also discovered some of the main slide wiper seals were cracking and had REV replace them at their service center under warranty.
davek104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I contacted Rev customer service and they tell me I have 1 month left on the factory warranty. I have had problems with General where I bought it and they want me to take it to Ocala for repairs. but I hesitate to take it for I am 100 miles from there and I don't want to have it in the shop of another month or two. I asked them if they would just either sell me the rubber seal or send it to me free but she hesitated to do either. Its to bad we buy these things and spend a lot of money and then have to go through with this. I am 83 years old and it will be my last one and had never bought a new one so thought when I bought it I would be home free for several years but now I just wish I would have had the old one rebuilt and I believe I would have been better off.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Once again we have proof that buying a new RV is no guarantee against problems. In many cases, a reasonably well kept used on will be superior in reliability, or at least no worse.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #8

A 2017 was probably built in summer of '16. Just a guess but only the OP can find out when it was actually built.
My wipers lasted 3 years from when they were built. I will take that as normal.
Seals? Did the OP maintain then with seal maintenance spray as the manual indicates? I do and my seals look like new. Mine was built in May of 2015. The first 2.5 years spent in the roasting heat and sun of Florida.
Engine battery? Hmmm, Ford usually has a 5 year warranty on the batt but check with Ford on that. And for what it's worth, if you don't maintain the battery properly it simply won't last. The battery charge profile for the chassis (engine) battery is completely different than the house batteries. So the design of the BCC to possibly charge the chassis battery along with the house batteries is NOT optimal. Again, check with Ford. They have a direct number for RV chassis warranty issues or go to a Ford dealer that is familiar with Truck/RV chassis work.
I am NOT defending REV here and if I thought it were a REV issue trust me I would say so. Some things fall on the owner to maintain. I agree with Gary RVroamer. Buying new does NOT mean years of maintenance/problem free use of your rv.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
A 2017 was probably built in summer of '16. Just a guess but only the OP can find out when it was actually built.
My wipers lasted 3 years from when they were built. I will take that as normal.
Seals? Did the OP maintain then with seal maintenance spray as the manual indicates? I do and my seals look like new. Mine was built in May of 2015. The first 2.5 years spent in the roasting heat and sun of Florida.
Engine battery? Hmmm, Ford usually has a 5 year warranty on the batt but check with Ford on that. And for what it's worth, if you don't maintain the battery properly it simply won't last. The battery charge profile for the chassis (engine) battery is completely different than the house batteries. So the design of the BCC to possibly charge the chassis battery along with the house batteries is NOT optimal. Again, check with Ford. They have a direct number for RV chassis warranty issues or go to a Ford dealer that is familiar with Truck/RV chassis work.
I am NOT defending REV here and if I thought it were a REV issue trust me I would say so. Some things fall on the owner to maintain. I agree with Gary RVroamer. Buying new does NOT mean years of maintenance/problem free use of your rv.
What kind of seal maintenance spray do you use?
Fltwood Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltwood Mac View Post
What kind of seal maintenance spray do you use?
https://smile.amazon.com/Premium-Sli...s%2C253&sr=8-4
Old 04-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the "Wonderful World of RVing." I'm approaching 300 fixes on my 2015.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well the battery was bad so I went to Walmart and bought a 5 year battery, thought if I had problems with it you can always find walmart. Also got the new wiper blades, same anco blades. Now I still have to address the small seal on the inside flange of the slide outs. I have tried to find the same rubber seal but so far I haven't found the exact type. May have to call Rev parts. I don't know if it all needs replaced or just parts of it. On the other two motor home I had they never had a seal in this location. Don't really don't know if it is important or not but I will try to make the repair myself. I just can't stand to take to dealer unless I have to. Probably all the bounders of this year also has that seal. Maybe someone will speak up and tell me if they have made that repair. The seal is a small bulb type seal about 1/2 inch wide by 1/4 inch high, it runs all the way around the backside of the slide out flange. It has just got rotten and is falling apart.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:52 PM   #13

Gary, do you have any advice, suggestions regarding the proper maintenance of the slide outs? I have a 2011 Fleetwwod Jamboree 28Z with side and rear slide sections. I’m really pleased with this unit only 28000 miles. Perfect condition.....I want to keep it that way. Here’s a salute to you and a unbelievable 17,000 posts.
Wmjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:30 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Know the feeling..

Darby:
I too bought new -- 2016 Bounder 35K 35th anniversary edition -- and the nightmares began.
Did get $15,000 from Ford for brake issues after RV was towed 4 times to a dealership whose techs couldn't figure out the issue. A Ford engineer in Dearborn called me explain all that was needed was a refresh of the system's computer. Lemon lawyers in Mesa kept $4,000 as their fee.
The "Blunder" has been back to Decatur twice for leaking windows, misaligned sewer, heating issues, entry door squeaks and a host of other issues.
Step motor failed at 15,347 miles, now the back-up TV system quit working at 16,233 miles..
This is indicative not only of REV's lack of quality control, it is endemic across the entire RV industry in the U.S.
Thinking of writing a book: "Beyond the Brochures," examining the sad state of quality of RV manufacturing...
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote