Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

"creaking" noise

Hi gang, I'm working on an '08 Bounder, Ford chassis. It has a strange creaking noise when the coach rocks. I can't pinpoint the exact location but it sounds like near driver area and low. I wouldn't rule out a dash/firewall related issue, or a suspension problem. I've checked shock absorbers, spring bolts, pins, dampeners, and sway bar bushings. You hear it best when the coach rocks side to side such as when on a road with potholes or if you intentionally rock it with the steering wheel. I've also inspected the front body mounts as well as the mounting of spring hangers, steering gear, radiator, engine, etc.

Anyone ever had this?
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Community Administrator

What model ? I have the 35E and don't have any squeaks.
These are the left and right supports in the front. There was a thread here where someone had these fail ( crack ).
That would cause a squeak.
Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1615845630.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	32589

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2551604835.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	32590

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #3

i know this sounds stupid and is probably not related but i had a similar incident one time. i was leaving my yard to go camping and was pulling my trailer with two atvs on it. i had my rear camerea on so i could keep an eye on the trailer. i could hear this funny noise that sounded like it was coming from under the driver some where. after several attempts to find it , it was still there every time i moved the coach. suddenly i realized my rear camera which was on was making the noise. i have a microphone at the rear so i can hear my back up spotter. i turned down the volume on the camera and the noise instantly disappeared. the speaker for the back up camera is in the left corner of the dash so it made it sound like it was underneath the coach. the noise i could hear was the trailer. duh. slapped forehead and proceeded to go camping.
winniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

Cliff, the body mounts on this one look different than your pictures. I inspected them closely but I saw no cracks nor loose bolts.

Winniman, I'm certain it isn't the camera. I have had incidents similar to what you mentioned before though. Thank you for replying!
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

your welcome. always nice when it is something simple and not $$$$$$$ good luck.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My noise was weak welds and, at places, no welds between the coach and chassis.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
could be from sway bar bushings
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sit in the drivers seat and pull back on the steering wheel. The wheel should only move slightly. If you can pull back and the wheel moves a couple of inches or more, the bolts securing the steering tower to the motorhome are broken or pulled loose. If the steering tower is loose, you will get rattles and squeeks. Fleetwood used lag screws to secure the tower to the home. These sometimes shear or pull loose. In my Pace Arrow they pulled loose and I drilled through the support and installed bolts and nuts.

Tags
bounder