Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Credit Card Fuel Purchases

I have been with both Citi Bank and Bank of America for over 40 years, and pay the balance off each month.

I continue to have problems at truck stops where the credit card companies decline the purchase of fuel.

I have to call the companies and verify that I have authorized the purchase and they remove the block (yes I have called before traveling and told them what states I will be traveling through).

Citi has a text message system that the sends a text to my phone and I respond 1 to say I authorized the purchased.

I have had many discussions with both companies and the end result is the fraud department uses the statement "we have a computer analog program that flags accounts for verification". It makes no difference to them about length of relationship or the way the bills have been paid.

Do you guys have the same problems? What do you do to avoid them. It is down right embarrassing to have purchases declined, have to call them to get the card reactivated. I am getting to the point of carrying cash but really do not want to carry that amount of cash.

I do have cards to turn the pump on at most of the truck stops. (Pilot, Loves, Petro, TA, etc.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #2

I always call the banks before I go out on a trip, give them dates, places etc. I then ask for an increase to $150 for gas purchases, otherwise the pumps stop at $75. I imagine it helps prevents fraud.
mike1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

I mostly use AmEx.
Never had an issue.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #4

Had the same issue. So, got the Pilot /FJ credit card and no more problems. The balance is automatically withdrawn every month so no bills. And no limit at the pump.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #5

Not had that issue with any of my cards but I now use a Pilot/Flying J card so I can pay at pump and have lower price. I do at times use other truck stops but not had a problem from buying fuel. I do go inside first if not at a Pilot/Flying J. I think I have used 3 different cards besides the Pilot card. Pilot card I pay online and do so after 2 fills since I went manual pay with $1k limit.
I have gotten alerts while shopping with the wife and most the time they did not deny the card but a few times I had to call and have the charge re-run. (Once got a call on a fraudulent charge.) Anyhow I get text and email mostly and the one time a phone call.

Tom
Old 11-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #6

I had a problem with CITI. The second time I used it it would be declined. I have the text notifications and could feel the text come in when it's run. I have a back up card that I would use if that happens. I can reply with a y that it's my purchase but it's rude to make people wait until it's cleared.

I did two things. First I opened a flying J / pilot account. Now I pay at the pump ( 150 gallon class A ) it's an auto pay from a savings account.

The other thing I did was start using Samsung Pay. works off my phone even where Android isn't used. It's great.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We like and use the Pilot/flying J discount card...automatically is taken out of our checking/savings account with a discount and no pump limit.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1950 View Post
I always call the banks before I go out on a trip, give them dates, places etc. I then ask for an increase to $150 for gas purchases, otherwise the pumps stop at $75. I imagine it helps prevents fraud.
Your saying the CC determines kick off amount when charging large amounts?
Never new that. I always thought it was the individual station or chain that did that.

Pointrow
Old 11-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #9

Have had it with Citi and Cabelas cards. Never really bothered me since quick phone call got things moving again.

Have also got the calls asking if I tried to charge a car wash a few hundred miles from the house - nope - we’ll send you a new card.

Doesn’t happen often when traveling but personally I’d rather have them be too cautious than have to fight fraudulent charges later on.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Credit Card Fuel Purchases

Have a Citi Costco card .. traveled in the last two months ,have charged all over Europe and Canada and central USA .. my address is based in Oregon and the only problem I had was when I booked by phone a AZ campground for Jan stay after just buying gas in Illinois... I have text msg alerts and got a fraud notice that I ok’d . The park called back just after I returned the text it was rejected before I could tell her to-run it again it was approved.
I also used a Amex card and it had 0 problems. I charge everything on cards and pay off monthly so my “record” shows travel and the type charges I make so I fit the “ profile” in their databases. If not I get a text and correct it immediately.. gladly.
I also get text messages on every purchase .. my phone buzzes with a charge amount and location as soon as I press the charge key on the register keypad.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
Your saying the CC determines kick off amount when charging large amounts?
Never new that. I always thought it was the individual station or chain that did that.

Pointrow
Banks watch your account so if your car purchases $50, anything over $75 is suspect, gas stations cap also to reduce risk but can be waived if the bank pre-approved the higher amount. I'm not 100% on the explanation, a banker friend explained it to me some years ago. So I do what I do and never had another problem.
mike1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #12

When I used to travel on business a lot (Sales) I used a Discover card often and found that they watch unusual purchases more than the other cards, Visa and MC. I would return home and find multiple phone messages about charges made on the card and wanting to know if they were my purchases. About a year ago they called me and asked if I was in Miami and just wanted to purchase $175 worth of groceries at a Publics, I said I'm not within 500 miles of Miami, they replied that was what they thought.

The last job I had was at a truck equipment retailer and a customer came in to pickup a truck with a new body on it and gave me a AMEX card, the bill was for about $8,000 and it was declined. He called them to tell them what it was and they refused to honor it saying it was not in his regular purchasing profile, he had a $30,000 daily limit just not for buying truck bodies. He ended up using his private CC and the company reimbursed him. You can't really fault the CC company, they are watching for fraud which they should.

When I travelled out of the country or took a cruise I always notified them where and when I was going to be so I didn't have the hassel of being declined.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I use AMEX for my fuel, and I've not had a problem. I occasionally use VISA and MASTERCARD. and I do have issues with them.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have a Flying J/Pilot Good Sam Credit card. Never had an issue.

Downside is I only have two choices and if neither is available I use my Amex.
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, purchase