RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dash temperature problem

This is my first post . I was driving down I-5 near Stockton Ca on a very bumpy part when my AC suddenly went warm. I moved the temperature controller but it stays constant no changes.I have looked for the heater valve but i cannot locate it. i have a 32 ft 2004 Fleetwood Terra with a ford chassis. I hope someone can direct me where to look or have idea what might be wrong.

NaramataSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Vacuum Line

Yup, the roads around Stockton are pretty bad. Sounds lke a vacuum line may have fallen off or broken.

Ford tends to not use heater valves. The heater core is always hot. The airflow over the heater core is controlled pneumatically if it's anything like the F series chassis.

On my 2001 F250 (7.3 PSD) and my sons 2003 F350 (V10) I added a vacuum actuated water valve (from an older model Ford Ranger) to shut off the flow of hot water to the heater core because the A/C did not work well at all. The vacuum block on both of those trucks was on the passenger side firewall inside the cab. Yours may be similar.

Good luck with it!
Muddypaws

Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #3

To isolate the problem (i.e. is it the heater adding heat or the a/c failing to cool), I clamp off one of the heater hoses to stop the flow of hot coolant to the heater core. I prefer a vise-grip needle nose plier, but a small c-clamp can work also.

If this "cures" the problem, follow normal trouble shooting for the heater by checking actuators, valves, etc.

If not, you will have to focus on the A/C side of the system. My first test would be a static (not running) check of low side pressure to see if you have lost refergerant.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #4

agree with Muddypaws on the vacuum line theory. I have an older motorhome and I had the reverse issue were mine was always cold. It turned out to be two loose vacuum lines. I reconnected them and it's worked flawlessly sense. The two lines on mine came loose from behind the dash controls, but I have older GM chassis so the source of my issue may be different than yours.

I found that I had a leak in the vacuum controls by hooking a vacuum pump to the system and trying to draw a vacuum on it. I could not develop a vacuum with the vacuum pump, so I started looking. My N-laws motorhome had the same issue.
Winnebeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2004 Coachman with the Ford Chassis. I have a cable operated heater control valve. When I first got my MH the cable clamp was adjusted incorrectly & I had the same problem as you. My heater control valve is located in the engine compartment on the heater hose.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
found problem

Thanks for all the suggestions. I found the problem and a cable had fallen off a valve in the Fan area . Had a little problem finding out how to remove cover in front of the passenger seat . Now i need to find a locking cap so it will not fall off again.
NaramataSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #7

Try HD or Lowe's for the cap.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash