Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #43
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Glennlevver, you mention that the dealer dragged their feet when you mentioned lemon law to them. Its not what you think. The dealer has very little to do with it and a buy back does not effect them in the least. The buy back in 100% between the manufacturer and the customer. The dealership will merely be the place an exchange takes place if there is one. As a dealer, I never look forward to a customer being unhappy with their rig but I do look forward to the actual lemon law replacement if there is one as it simply means I get to sell another unit! Most manufacturers wont let us get involved. We simply give the customer the phone number and the manufacturer handles it from there. We simply keep our fingers crossed that we get to deliver another unit. Kind of a two for one deal for us!
I was unclear in this statement

"Just a heads up going to the dealer and threatening to File Lemon Law got me nothing. They do not think you will actually do it. Even once the state approved my paper work they dragged their feet."

I wanted to make two points. 1) Threatening dealer with lemon law will not get you anything 2) When I stated "Even once the state approved my paper work they dragged their feet" I was referring to the manufacture. Ford has a department on the corporate level that handles the buy back.

I also stated "Once it became clear that I had a winning case they fell all over them selves to resolve the problem." this was the dealer.

I think we are seeing here, one of the reasons why the quality on new RVs is so poor.

Consumers are so willing not to demand what they pay for. They find ways to fix the problems the manufactures should have addressed in the first place.

I have read replies "easy fix" "$500 in a kit solves the problem".

If you bought a passenger car from one of the big three and then were told you have to install "these" parts to drive it down the road would you except that (not "You" but the general RV community).

When you pick a car up from a dealer do you check the tire pressures or do you expect the service department did that for you before you picked up your vehicle.

If "you" want the RV manufactures to improve their quality "you" are going to have to make them. The best way to communicate to them is through the bottom line (they care about one thing, profit). If they start to see an effect on the bottom line due to come backs, they will do something about the come backs.

If it is cheaper for manufactures to produce a quality product, that is what they will do.

I am also not saying you do not have to do the due diligence when you purchase. If you drive off the RV lot within the hour of purchase you have not spent the time to inspect your new purchase properly.

Sorry for the rant. I truly feel a large part of the poor quality problem rests on "our" shoulders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #44

I just got my Bounder back from Ford today. They said everything they were responsible for was checked. Even though the service rep said it was horrible to drive there was nothing he could do. The RV dealer says they could add a steering stablizier a 5 star tune for shifting help and track bars for another 1500. To me this is bull. If someone knows how Fleetwood can sell vehicles like this let me know.
marvsi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvsi12 View Post
I just got my Bounder back from Ford today. They said everything they were responsible for was checked. Even though the service rep said it was horrible to drive there was nothing he could do. The RV dealer says they could add a steering stablizier a 5 star tune for shifting help and track bars for another 1500. To me this is bull. If someone knows how Fleetwood can sell vehicles like this let me know.
Well its not Fleetwood, its FORD, and if I had a service rep tell me it was horrible to drive and nothing he could do, he would get a mouthful on my way to see the boss.

There is obviously something wrong with your chassis if even the rep says that, and if it is that bad, 1500 worth of add ons is not going to fix it.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #46

Quote:
That's actually about $500 less that what those parts would actually cost. Not a bad deal, really.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Good list of mods...

Computerguy summed it up pretty good with:
"Check the ford chassis forum on irv2. Look up "chf", "5 star tune", "rear track bar", "tire inflation", "safe t steer", "sway bar" and probably a bunch more."
Be sure to add front end alignment from a local truck alignment shop. (be sure to get extra caster. Something over 6 is better) Another option is SumoSprings. Also Bilstein Comfitrac shocks and steering stabilizer.

Doing all of these mods will cost between 2K and 3K, but the coach will be stable and much easier to drive.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 05-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hey man, I agree, and I getcha completely. You would think, for the money, all rv's and all coaches, and all trailers would be delivered with all of the quality basics.

But what I've found is this just isn't the case.. until you get to the super high dollar RV's... then everything is amazing.

But down here on Earth, they deliver a mostly good unit (some are mostly bad), and it's up to you to deal with it after that. There's many many posts on the subject. If you're new to RV'ing, it can be a cold culture shock at first.

Manufacturers skimp, dealers and service centers pass blame back and forth, it's their fault, or their fault.... result? You get to sink an extra 1500 on top of the hefty price tag.

Do it though, cause it's really worth it. You'll gripe for a while (as I would too, grumpily) and then it will pass and you'll appreciate the upgrade.

I'd rather the factory put it on and just add it into the price... course it would be triple (1500 x 3) if they did it at the factory...

and I know exactly how they sell them like that... cause people keep buying them. Seriously... Written word can be funny to interpret, I'm not saying you were a sucker or anything, just saying dealers keep selling them. Plus how are you, as a new RV'r, supposed to know everything about it prior to purchase?

And the RV whirlpool on your wallet begins
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #49

Yep. Load up the money cannon.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #50
HGC

Bounder Death Trap

Our best friend has a Fleetwood Southwind. Took it to Ford for AC work. Ford screwed it up then took to Fleetwood factory service in Indiana. He said it was the best service he has ever had on anything. He also asked if there were any good dealers for service and the manager replied that they hadn't found one as of yet.
Take it back to where they built it. And as far as noise, look at the utube "Gone with the Wynns". Fleetwood has a new spray on foam noise package that is highly recommended.
We bought our Tiffin(ordered new) and it came with over 40 problems. Still fixing some. Won't let our dealer near it anymore. They made a mess of most things they worked on. Really, your factory service can fix it all as far as the coach goes.
We installed Sumo springs, steering stabilizer, and 5 Star Tune and found these help a great deal on the chassis end. Tire pressure can also influence the ride and handling. But remember, this is a truck chassis not a Cadillac.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check the tire pressure, if you haven't already. Horrible to drive? compared to your car? or ?
If you're comparing it to your car, it will drive differently. You'll have to make corrections more so then a car, as far as being pushed by the wind or a passing truck, yes that will happen. Is it all that bad, or perhaps something you're not use to and with more driving you might get somewhat more comfortable with. If it is terrible, then you can go the route of the steering stabilizer and say bars, they will help for sure, but won't make it completely go away. As far as the engine screaming, it shouldn't be when cruising along on a level stretch of hiway, yes it gets loud going up a hill when it down shifts and the rpm's increase. It's a shame you didn't take it out on the freeway on a test drive, I always tell people to test drive them in all conditions possible, including going up and down grades. Generally speaking diesel motor homes, handle and drive better and are less quieter then gas motor homes. However there are some diesel chassis's out there that ride harsh, so always test drive, and then test drive some more in and on all road conditions. Perhaps your dealer would work with you on a trade on a different model...........or perhaps even a different dealer would work with you. Maybe even a call to Fleetwood might help, never know till you try. Sorry for your troubles, I hope they work out.
Brian
Old 05-16-2016, 06:22 AM   #52

Just purchased a 2016 Bounder 33C and had similar problems, but dealer has been great about repairs. We had front and rear stabilizer bars and steering stabilizer installed and the ride is great. No sway from passing trucks at all. Highly recommend the investment.
rc3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
Our best friend has a Fleetwood Southwind. Took it to Ford for AC work. Ford screwed it up then took to Fleetwood factory service in Indiana. He said it was the best service he has ever had on anything. He also asked if there were any good dealers for service and the manager replied that they hadn't found one as of yet.
Take it back to where they built it. And as far as noise, look at the utube "Gone with the Wynns". Fleetwood has a new spray on foam noise package that is highly recommended.
We bought our Tiffin(ordered new) and it came with over 40 problems. Still fixing some. Won't let our dealer near it anymore. They made a mess of most things they worked on. Really, your factory service can fix it all as far as the coach goes.

I would have little faith in the factory fixing all the issues . . . After all, didn't they already have a chance to make it right when they built it? They obviously failed miserably if we are to believe the problems people are experiencing!

Not sure that giving them a second chance to do what they should have gotten right the first time is the best course of action . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #54
HGC

Bounder Death Trap

My experience has been with Tiffin. We ordered ours new and it came with a mess of problems. Dealer was no help. Will eventually take it back to Conn, Motor Cars , a surrogate of Tiffin with a great reputation. They have the capacity to rebuild the whole thing. Since Tiffin is in Alabama I will not be going there. We are in western PA.
The next motorhome I buy will probably be a Discovery. And I know Fleetwood has first rate factory service. There are very few dealers capable of handling structural service problems. They are closer to us.
IMHO I would definitely make an appointment with the factory and let them deal with all of your problems. They know their product best. Good luck!
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I don't think I should have to spend another 1500 to correct driving problems with a 4 month old motorhome. When I test drove the thing I did not get it on a expressway.
Why not? How are you going to know how it drives if you don't drive it.
I drove at least 12 different pushers before I bought this one. My shortest drive was about 20 miles of freeway most were longer.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Did they do an all wheel alignment? Most coaches in the owner's package will have a recommendation to have an all wheel alignment done after you get it loaded as if you were leaving on a trip. I would have full fuel, propane,water, at least 1/2 on black and gray holding tanks. Heck I would do full holding tanks just to compensate for "weight creep".
The added weight in the coach changes the ride height and the front end alignment.
The first thing I would add is a rear track bar. This will do the most to stop side to side sway from passing trucks.
This is also the way you want it loaded when you have it weighed (loaded like you were leaving on a trip) not empty.
" To me this is bull" What is BULL is not doing your do diligence in researching class A motorhomes before you bought. If you had you would have known about what handling problems to look for. You didn't drive it on the freeway and now are complaining it doesn't drive the way you dreamed it would.
NOW if you pay attention We will help you fix the basic problems. The first thing I would add is a rear track bar and maybe the 5 star tuner. I would add some insulation under the engine cover to make the engine noise quieter. It is made to be a hi revving engine don't worry about it you can''t hurt it by revving it.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote