Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #1

I'm new to this forum and am hoping far ANY input.

For the first time, DW and I looked at a "new" '07 Diesel Bounder (38N)at our local dealer. Never looked at them before. Had been interested mainly in sob gassers of the same length.

We were really taken with it. DW loves the layout and I love the diesel. We understand the additional needs of the diesel and are prepared (we think) for them. The price is pretty good, but we'll need it a little better before we buy.

But, we will probably need to move pretty quick or it may be gone. So, we are looking to you experts for some help.

The questions are (and I know some are hard to answer):

1. Are there ANY good reasons to pass on (or at least be concerned about some issues) this coach?

2. What sort of average fuel mileage should I expect?

3. It has Goodyear tires. Most of what we've looked at have Michelin. Any substantial difference?

4. It seems to have a rubber roof. I've heard some not so good things about them. Any cause for concern?

5. DW and I are pleased with the fit and finish of the coach with the exception of the cabinet frames. Any issues with the "man made" wood used for the frames?

Answer one or answer all. We will be grateful for any response.

Thanks

SSteve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #2

I'm new to this forum and am hoping far ANY input.

For the first time, DW and I looked at a "new" '07 Diesel Bounder (38N)at our local dealer. Never looked at them before. Had been interested mainly in sob gassers of the same length.

We were really taken with it. DW loves the layout and I love the diesel. We understand the additional needs of the diesel and are prepared (we think) for them. The price is pretty good, but we'll need it a little better before we buy.

But, we will probably need to move pretty quick or it may be gone. So, we are looking to you experts for some help.

The questions are (and I know some are hard to answer):

1. Are there ANY good reasons to pass on (or at least be concerned about some issues) this coach?

2. What sort of average fuel mileage should I expect?

3. It has Goodyear tires. Most of what we've looked at have Michelin. Any substantial difference?

4. It seems to have a rubber roof. I've heard some not so good things about them. Any cause for concern?

5. DW and I are pleased with the fit and finish of the coach with the exception of the cabinet frames. Any issues with the "man made" wood used for the frames?

Answer one or answer all. We will be grateful for any response.

Thanks

SSteve
Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Cat

We have had a 2007 Bounder 38V since Nov 2007, we've put on about 5000 miles and have been very pleased with the Bounder. We have the full wall slide and have had some adjustment issues, but no serious problems. We have a Cat 300 horsepower engine, we started out at about 7.5 MPG at 62-65 MPH,it seems to be getting better average now 8.0 8.5.Hope it keeps getting better. Good power like the way it drives and rides and all the features.The roof is a TPO which is suppose to be tougher than plan rubber and need less maintnace. Tire are tires as long as you keep them inflated properly,in my opinion.All in all we really like ours.
I will say this I would not be in too big a hurry,RV sales are way down so you most likely have plenty of time to decide. I doubt it is going to sell that fast.Make sure you are getting 24-28% off MSRP. Price depending on opitions should be down 145000-155000. Good luck and enjoy the Hunt and make sure you drive any of them on the hiway at highway speeds in traffic before buying.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
You are looking at a very nice unit but you should be able to do better than the 28%. The 09's will be out soon and the 07 will be listed as a two year-old rv. Either they got stuck with a special order or it was a camper they used but never titled. I am sure it is a nice unit but make sure you get price based on its age.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #5

Cat and Tmar10,

Thanks for your replies--they pushed us over the edge. Good or bad, its all you fault.

We bought it. lots of options and at a price under what Cat recommended. We are very pleased with the layout and now DW understands and is a bit more than happy with the diesel (I'm elated).

We appreciate the time you took to throw in your most valuable two cents.

SSteve
Old 06-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Cat

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it as much as my wife and I enjoy ours. Have fun, travel,enjoy.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
From one Bounder owner (albiet, a gasser) to another, welcome to the Bounder family. Be sure to ask for some Fleetwood Owners Forum karma.

Many safe & happy travels.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #8

Congratulations
We have the 07 Expedetion 38V (Bounder Clone) and love it. Have just over 7 thousand miles and just got over 9 miles to the gallon on my last trip a few weeks ago. Once you go diesel it is hard to go back.
Paul Van Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #9

We have an '06 39Z. You can't go wrong with a diesel Bounder.
Enjoy!
ggeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #10

Congrats on your Bounder! We have a 2003 34M with a Cummins ISB 300HP and I love it. I get great mpg (11.2) and I do not tow at this time. I envy you as you have full paint!! Only complaint I have is that I have 2 windows that are fogged due to the loss of their thermal seal. 36000 miles and counting. Just returned from a trip to the Gunflint Lakes area of Minnesota (could / should also be called Canada) and will be heading off to Montana in a few weeks. I travel for a living (flight) and am excited to get home and get on the road with the family as often as we can.
I know that you will have many wonderful memories created from all of the trips you will soon be taking!
Happy Trails!
Bounderoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #11

Hi.
Does you 38N have a flat floor when both slides are out? My street side slide drops to give me a flat floor but my kitchen slide seems to go out all the way but stays 2 or so inches above the main floor. Is this normal?
Thank you.
John Kalsbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey John. I responded to your prior post. I've got a 38S w/3 slides. They all go flat to the floor.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #13

Thank you.
This is so strange as the brochue shows your and my floor plan to be the same. Yours goes flat and mine doesn't.
I called fleetwood and they claim that because it is a kitchen slide it does not go flat. Now I am really confused.Think I will need to visit my dealer as he has another one that I can compare with.
Thanks again.
John Kalsbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #14

John,

To be honest, I never paid any attention to whether or not the floor is flat when the slides are out, but I do recall the kitchen cabinet is raised a few inches from the floor (just like at home) with the slide in or out.

The love seat forward of the cabinet has two furnace vents in the "kick panel" , but because I paid more attention to that, I don't recall if the slide is flush with the floor.

I do plan to visit the 38N tomorrow (storage). I'll post again then.

SSteve