Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Digital TV antenna for AC Tradition

Are there any other AC MH owners who use their television antennas rather than the satellite for local channels? On my previous discovery antenna I purchased the digital adaptor that fit on the antenna and was able to pick up some of the digital channels. Have not been able to find a digital adaptor for the fancy electric antenna on this coach. Am I the only one who is to cheap to pay for satellite tv in my coach? BTW, most of the campgrounds I go to have cable so even harder to justify the extra cost even if I can get Dish on a monthly basis. Thoughts?
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #2

Guess I don't understand the problem or question. Our our AC Allegiance, we crank up the antenna and use as we did on any of our previous RVs. BTW, we also refuse to buy into sat TV since most CGs have cable.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #3

I believe it's your tv's not your ant. they probably aren't digital. I use sat. at home so it's only 6 bucks a month for the coach. If I can get a signal I'll use sat. if not we use cable or ant. if that doesn't work no ones happy if you get my drift.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First there is no such thing as a digital antenna. Any VHF/UHF antenna will pick up analog or digital signals. If you do not have digital TV sets, you will need an analog to digital converter box. Some work OK, some not so OK.

We ditched the old analog TVs and went to a new digital TV.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
First there is no such thing as a digital antenna. Any VHF/UHF antenna will pick up analog or digital signals. If you do not have digital TV sets, you will need an analog to digital converter box. Some work OK, some not so OK.

We ditched the old analog TVs and went to a new digital TV.

Ken
Exactly what we did too. I did try the converters for a while but they didn't work too well so gave up and upgraded the TV's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hooverbill,
With my 1999 discovery, I had to add a digital adaptor to the antenna that came on the coach. Then for the non digital tv in the bedroom, I had to use a digital adaptor between the antenna and the TV. I was thinking I needed to have a digital antenna for this coach also. Actually purchased a part that was to be added to the antenna but it didn't fit the electric antenna on my coach. Maybe because mine is a 2006 model year it is not digital capable?
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Nope, you're not too cheap. We don't do satellite either. We take what we can get with OTA or cable, if the CG has cable.

Since you've got a 2006, there's a chance your TV's aren't digital. I looked at the 2006 brochure for your Tradition & LCD HDTV's, which I think were digital then, are listed as "optional". If you've still got the flat screen analog TV that was standard on AC's then, you'll need a converter box as Ken stated. That's what we had to use until we upgraded our TV's.

I'm not familiar with the electric antennas. Do they not fit a Wingman (what we use to better pull in digital signals)?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As I said, any antenna that will receive the VHF/UHF band will work for a digital or analog TV. The TV signals now being transmitted are in the UHF band for the most part. A few stations are in the upper part of the old VHF band.

The converter is not for the antenna, it is for the TV signal. A digital to Analog converter (D to A) takes the signal from the TV antenna which is now in a digital format and then converts it to the appropriate analog signal on channel 3 or 4 for the TV.

I think the best antenna for the RV is the Winegard Sensar IV which includes the added Wingman to help on the UHF signals. The digital signals are weaker and you either have a signal or you don't...there is no longer a weak picture with snow. The antennas are more directional and they take a bit more time to get zeroed in on a signal.

A digital TV will not require a converter, just a signal from an antenna. The antenna does not know if the signal is in digital or analog format.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: There is no special antenna needed for Digital Over The Air tv, the standard Over The Air antenna from last century works just fine,, Though, that said, the Winegard Sensar (Batwing) can benefit from the addition of the Wingman, which improves it's UHF performance.

Now, if your televisions are newer and have ATSC tuners (They will have a "Dash" or period button on the remote and or display channel numbers like 7.1 or 7-1). then you need no adapter, it's buit in.

IF you have older TV's like I do,, Radio Shack still sells adapters.. Some other places do as well. I'v enot shopped for one in a long time.

My set upt.. Wineguard Sensar II with Wingman (Making it a S-III) Winegard multi-switch (Box of many buttons) feeding two different converters (DTV-Pal and Insignia/Zinith, one each feeds one of two Replay TV DVR's (Think TIVO on Steroids) feeding two older analog only NTSC televisions.

I can record two shows at once, and watch one on my tv while wife watches other, OR, we can both watch same, don't matter which machine did the recording.

Tags
antenna