RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #1

Direct TV?

I bought a slightly used 2017 Bounder 35K. Love it. It had a direct tv dish on the roof but it was removed. It looks like it was something the previous owner had installed as the cables run from the front of the roof to a air conditioner. I haven't been up on the roof yet to check it all out.

If I want to take it in someplace and have them mount a new dish what should I get? I just use the MH occasionally but I can take a receiver from home the way I understand it.

School me please!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #2

A portable type will give you better access if you encounter trees between you and the 'bird'......there are the automatic ones that find the 'bird' at a push of a button...

Old 07-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you have everything else still there, Winegard Traveler Slim Line Antenna. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
A portable type will give you better access if you encounter trees between you and the 'bird'......there are the automatic ones that find the 'bird' at a push of a button...

What do you mean by portable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
If you have everything else still there, Winegard Traveler Slim Line Antenna. Jim E. OKC

I think all I have is a couple cables. One is a coax and the other cable has a square plug on each end with a couple wires.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
I bought a slightly used 2017 Bounder 35K. Love it. It had a direct tv dish on the roof but it was removed. It looks like it was something the previous owner had installed as the cables run from the front of the roof to a air conditioner. I haven't been up on the roof yet to check it all out.

If I want to take it in someplace and have them mount a new dish what should I get? I just use the MH occasionally but I can take a receiver from home the way I understand it.

School me please!!
Bob, I would bypass altogether purchasing a dish and taking a receiver from the home and taking it with you. My Directv bill alone was $180 a month and I said enough is enough. I recently signed up for Directv NOW Which essentially gives you the programs you might be used to now (Depending on your package) for a fraction of the cost. All’s you need is a Roku device from Amazon which you plug into the hdmi slot on your TV and the remote that comes with it is also voice activated which is nice. Of course you’ll have to sign up for the service and see how you like it. I pay $45 monthly to basically have the same channels I had with Directv but without paying for all the boxes, DVR service etc. I have always been looking for an alternative to watching TV and I haven’t looked back. I guess I should have mentioned that you use your Hot Spot from you iPhone to connect to the Roku device using your data. Hope this helps and happy travels.
Bodean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodean56 View Post
Bob, I would bypass altogether purchasing a dish and taking a receiver from the home and taking it with you. My Directv bill alone was $180 a month and I said enough is enough. I recently signed up for Directv NOW Which essentially gives you the programs you might be used to now (Depending on your package) for a fraction of the cost. All’s you need is a Roku device from Amazon which you plug into the hdmi slot on your TV and the remote that comes with it is also voice activated which is nice. Of course you’ll have to sign up for the service and see how you like it. I pay $45 monthly to basically have the same channels I had with Directv but without paying for all the boxes, DVR service etc. I have always been looking for an alternative to watching TV and I haven’t looked back. I guess I should have mentioned that you use your Hot Spot from you iPhone to connect to the Roku device using your data. Hope this helps and happy travels.
I guess as long as I have WiFi that would work. I have an unlimited plan on my phone so a hotspot isn’t available to me.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have DirecTV at home and as one other person posted, have an existing bill to pay with quite a bit of programming. Unless you are going to cancel your current Directv at home...it is just another $8.99 charge for the additional receiver.

We get all the programming we have at home, except local channels in the RV. We had an extra HD reciever so did not have to purchase one.

If you do not have DirecTV at home...the ROKU sounds interesting.

Big Bertha - 2003 Bounder 35R
mttop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
I guess as long as I have WiFi that would work. I have an unlimited plan on my phone so a hotspot isn’t available to me.
Counting on Park WiFi to supply streaming video is a fool's mission. You can cut the cable/satellite at home because you can have broadband Internet. In many parks being able to do email can be challenge.

Even using wireless can be a challenge is many places in the country. I am in northern Wisconsin and the Verizon is just a bit better than the AT&T and definitly not suitable for streaming video.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Counting on Park WiFi to supply streaming video is a fool's mission. You can cut the cable/satellite at home because you can have broadband Internet. In many parks being able to do email can be challenge.

Even using wireless can be a challenge is many places in the country. I am in northern Wisconsin and the Verizon is just a bit better than the AT&T and definitly not suitable for streaming video.

Right. At some places I normally stay WiFi is no issue, But you can't count on it.

I like the slimline. Pricey though.

I've heard Direct is changing thinks soon and a lot of dishes won't work any longer.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #10

DirecTV use of Ka band for HD signals really limits users choice of dishes because all domes come with Ku LNBF heads. That limits domes for DirecTV to satellite 119 which is SD channels only. What DirecTV is going to do with 119 after they decommit SD channels is unknown. There are reasons to depart from satellite 119.

The best choices for DirecTV is an automatic roof dish (Winegard Trav'ler or RF Mogul Eagle) or a tripod with a slimline dish. You get the full spectrum of DirecTV channels available.

This is where Dish has an advantage as all Dish satellites use Ku bands transponders and there is a width choice of dishes to use.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #11

This is my portable....is compatible with Direct, Dish, and BellClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160621_115000524.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	211646...........King Flex....