Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
DirecTV receiver in bedroom

I would like to add another Direct TV receiver in the bedroom of my 2006 Discovery. Does any one have two receivers run off of one roof top round dome satellite dish? Can this be done? The one in the front works good and I can watch satellite tv in the bedroom by using the BOMB but both tv's have to watch the same channels. My idea, probably not right, is to add another receiver in the bedroom that would control the bedroom tv leaving the one in the front for that tv. Any ideas, thanks for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well...I'll take a shot. You don't say how many TV's in the coach, but I assume 2. Go up on the roof and see if you have 1 or 2 cables out of the dish. If you have 2, then there will be the other end stuffed near the bedroom TV. If so, easy to purchase another receiver and connect. I don't think your coach would be HDMI wired, but I could be wrong. If there is only 1 wire out of the dish, you would have to find a satellite friendly splitter, then run a new cable from that to the bedroom TV.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
Well...I'll take a shot. You don't say how many TV's in the coach, but I assume 2. Go up on the roof and see if you have 1 or 2 cables out of the dish. If you have 2, then there will be the other end stuffed near the bedroom TV. If so, easy to purchase another receiver and connect. I don't think your coach would be HDMI wired, but I could be wrong. If there is only 1 wire out of the dish, you would have to find a satellite friendly splitter, then run a new cable from that to the bedroom TV.
Thanks Brian, I have the other receiver and ready to connect. I thought maybe someone with a 2006 Discovery had a second receiver already in the bedroom. I'll take a look at the dish when I can get the cover off and see where it leads me.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #4

You will need two LNB's on the satellite dish in order to hook two receivers to watch different channels on a second receiver. A second LNB will provide you with a second cable from the satellite dish.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #5

In non tech that means you need two coaxial cables run to the roof and one of them going to the bedroom satellite receiver location.

The Dish on the roof also needs to have a dual LNB (Low Noise Amplifer (Type B). That may need to be a hardware upgrade to the dish. Or if you have a newer dish that uses SWIM (Single Wire integrated Multi-switch) only one coax to the roof is required.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your coach is anything like our 2007 Bounder, then Fleetwood installed a dome with a dual LNB, but only ran a single cable through the roof. The connector for the second LNB has a rubber cover on it. I ran a second cable through the roof into the entertainment cabinet above the copilot seat and have both receivers in the front cabinets. The second receiver feeds the AUX input of the video switcher. The only downside is that both receivers operate with the same remote so it becomes a battle when wifey and I are watching different channels and one of us decides to change channels!
Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #7

I believe my 07 Discovery has both coax from the dome to the front compartment. I am currently only running one Box, that's up front. I'll dig deeper BUT I believe you need to mount both boxes up front unless you have the 2nd coax already run to the rear. Should be able to run 2 remotes with 2 boxes.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
If your coach is anything like our 2007 Bounder, then Fleetwood installed a dome with a dual LNB, but only ran a single cable through the roof. The connector for the second LNB has a rubber cover on it. I ran a second cable through the roof into the entertainment cabinet above the copilot seat and have both receivers in the front cabinets. The second receiver feeds the AUX input of the video switcher. The only downside is that both receivers operate with the same remote so it becomes a battle when wifey and I are watching different channels and one of us decides to change channels!
Just get yourself a DirecTV RF remote and go through the setup in the menu. That receiver will then ignore the original remotes... Therefore neither remote will affect the "other" receiver.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
I believe my 07 Discovery has both coax from the dome to the front compartment. I am currently only running one Box, that's up front. I'll dig deeper BUT I believe you need to mount both boxes up front unless you have the 2nd coax already run to the rear. Should be able to run 2 remotes with 2 boxes.
Thanks MCHERO,according to my dome information there are two cables going out, but if Fleetwood ran one to the back I cant tell.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #10

Bud
Might want to double check the entertainment center up front & see if you can find an extra coax laying around. I have a full slide on the drivers side, not sure where they ran the lines back to the rear TV. If I'm not mistaken I have no other lines other than a single coax to the rear TV.
I'll head out later & take a look if I have the time.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #11

I purchased an automatic portable satellite dish for the second receiver and used two flat cable connectors to run through one of the BR sliding windows so I could keep the window closed. Sometimes the roof dish signal is blocked by trees and the portable can also be used with or without the RV. Using the preinstalled cable from the front (roof satellite) to the rear TV I can use either or both dishes and the digital air signals as well. I also have a wireless RF remote control extender to control the front receiver from the BR. Both receivers are recordable. I am not that addicted to TV but over the years and got these things and applied then to our current RV. I can watch the Westerns and my wife what she likes and record what we want on each.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #12

I had the same situation in my 07. I had a powered splitter from direct tv that gave me multiple outputs. I tried a cover over the second box so that only one receiver at a time would get the signal. I tried comercial rf controls. I really did not find any solution that worked to my satisfaction. The box in the bedroom must have an uninterrupted connection from the splitter or the second antennae lead.

I finally gave up and put a winegard traveler on the roof and a genie wired system in the coach. I still had to run coax but now I have tv's and sat antenna that work all the time.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
Thanks MCHERO,according to my dome information there are two cables going out, but if Fleetwood ran one to the back I cant tell.
It should be coming out of the ceiling with the coax from the front of the coach.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #14

My rear tv is a Samsung LCD on a hinged panel above the washer/dryer. Just below TV is a shelf that houses Samsung home entertainment system. No room for a Sat. box back their.