Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Disconnect Converter ?

I want to use a simple set up to use tv & dvd while dry camping for an occasional movie in the evenings after quiet hour. I have a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter that I can mount within 4' of my battery box.(two 6 volt golf cart batteries) I can then run an extension cord to my shore power compartment and use the 15 amp adapter to power my existing ac outlets. My question is how can I turn off the on-board converter as suggested to prevent it from trying to charge batteries during this time. I looked at my electrical panel and nothing is labeled converter. I do have one fuse block labeled E.C.C. but I do not know what this stands for. My coach is a 2004 Southwind 32V on a ford P53 chassis. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Photo's would be best lol
smorg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many convertors are plug in, if so, just unplug!
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

I did this conversion a few years ago in a Georgie Boy. It involved understanding of how the battery is wired to the converter. I did it so that I could have ac power on the road. It was a very manual operation.

I installed the inverter in the same compartment with the converter. I then installed a double throw center off switch on the side of the cabinet so that it was accessible to me when I needed to change the setting. I connected the inverter in parallel to the converter so that I could choose which power to use. I then found the breaker that powered the tv and rewired it to the double throw switch such that UP was inverter powered and DOWN was converter (normal) powered. And of course CENTER position was off. One of the problems that I had was that the inverter would have to be reset every time I wanted to use it. I used this system for two years. I also added an additional two 12v batteries to my house system.

I'm sure that there are at least two real electricians who know all the reasons this was bad, but it worked for me.

I no longer have the Georgie Boy.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorg007 View Post
I want to use a simple set up to use tv & dvd while dry camping for an occasional movie in the evenings after quiet hour. I have a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter that I can mount within 4' of my battery box.(two 6 volt golf cart batteries) I can then run an extension cord to my shore power compartment and use the 15 amp adapter to power my existing ac outlets. My question is how can I turn off the on-board converter as suggested to prevent it from trying to charge batteries during this time. I looked at my electrical panel and nothing is labeled converter. I do have one fuse block labeled E.C.C. but I do not know what this stands for. My coach is a 2004 Southwind 32V on a ford P53 chassis. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Photo's would be best lol
Not sure where your converter is mounted, mine is underneath the circuit breaker box. My converter is hard wired, so I couldn't just unplug the unit. When I upgraded my converter I also added a 120V-20A toggle switch in between the hot lead and the converter. Not much room so I had to flatten 2 of the louvered vents, then drill out a hole to mount the switch.
I also mounted my sw inverter close to the battery box, then I ran Romex cable back and added a 120v outlet inside the power bay. Now when I dry camp I just plug the shore line into the inverter outlet, turn the fridge onto propane and flip the converter switch off.
(The RJ11 cable in the photo is for the charge wizard remote)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ConverterSwitch.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	12919  

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know where my converter box is, no room in wall above or below near where electrical panel is located (which by the way is in the bedroom wall near the T.V.) I do have a large grate under the sink area that is too big for heater vent similar in size to the one pictured. I will remove the grate and see whats there.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If that's not it, try removing all the galley lower drawers. Some MH manufactures mount them to the floor under the kitchen cabinets.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Mine is under a draw in the bedroom in my Bounder. FW may be able to help you. 800-322-8216. Have your FW id# handy if you call.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I found the converter below the refrigerator behind an access panel, It plugs directly into it's own single 110 receptacle. So if I unplug this just before plugging the shoreline into my inverter I should be fine knowing that my refer is on LP and my a/c, electric water heater switch, and microwave are all in the off mode I should be fine-right. Or option 2 is to run an extension cord from my inverter into my entertainment cabinet and plug tv and dvd into a surge protector strip. Option 2 being a little bit more hillbilly lol
Old 08-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though I do not recommend doing it this way because Mrs. Murphy's law says YOU WILL FORGET:

Usually there is a circuit breaker or two you can turn off

Turn all off, turn on MAIN breaker, Then one breaker at a time turn it on, see if the TV works, then turn it off (Unless the TV works)

Suggestion: IF the breakers are NOT already labled.. Turn on one breaker, see what works, label it, go to the next one, likewise, till they are all labled (do this on shore power)

Converter may be marked Converter or CONV
Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Though I do not recommend doing it this way because Mrs. Murphy's law says YOU WILL FORGET:

Usually there is a circuit breaker or two you can turn off

Turn all off, turn on MAIN breaker, Then one breaker at a time turn it on, see if the TV works, then turn it off (Unless the TV works)

Suggestion: IF the breakers are NOT already labled.. Turn on one breaker, see what works, label it, go to the next one, likewise, till they are all labled (do this on shore power)

Converter may be marked Converter or CONV
Thanks wa8yxm for responding and yes I do know Murphy's Law. My panel is well marked for everything in the breaker panel but nothing refers to Converter or CONV. My tv breaker is clearly marked and I will turn off the breakers that I know I do not want to supply power to. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When I did something similar on a 99 pace arrow...

I physically located the 120v power feed to the front overhead, it ran along the pass side up high, and there was an outlet above the easy chair on the same circuit.

I broke the circuit there and capped the wires.

Then I installed my inverter, and wired it to the front half of that circuit. It powered the TV and DVD player, and an outlet under the dash, and the one over the easy chair.

I did nothing else. That circuit no longer connected to the coaches 120v system at all. The converter kept the batteries charged, the batteries ran the tv et al.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To find which breaker feeds the converter.

When you first get to a campground.. Turn on some 12 volt Lights and kill the breakers BEFORE you plug in.. Now plug in turn on the main breakers and while watching the lights.

One at a time turn them on.

Lights will normally brighten when you find the CONV breaker.

Tags
converter