Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

Discovery 2006 CAT Engine Concern?

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39', Cat Diesel C7 330hp with about 45000 miles on it.
I had a cooling system flush this past September prior to a 4000 mile trip south from British Columbia. Within 10 miles of picking up the unit after flush, I had a low coolant indication when climbing a hill. I then added 1 litre of coolant/water to the expansion tank. Over the next 1000 miles, the coolant was down again several times, so I topped it up as needed and checked under the unit. There was a steady drip of coolant from the bottom of the engine but could not find source. It generally only leaked a cup or two after shutting down and would not be leaking when engine was cold. The engine never went above normal temperature during the entire trip. I added about 2 gallons of coolant during that first week. The "leak" stopped mid way through the trip and did not occur again.
My question: could it have had an air pocket somewhere and it was just "burping"? I would take it back to the dealership that worked on it but don't trust that they would admit to not bleeding properly and would likely face a hefty "fix".

Thank you
Love the forum, been lurking for years.
brandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #2

When I first bought our Discovery coach with the same engine, the previous owner had the coolant flush performed just before the sale. I also experienced a low coolant warning light and put in exactly one gallon of antifreeze/water mix. But unlike yours I never saw anything leaking, and after putting in the gallon I never had to add any more.

During the flush the mechanic is supposed to turn off the heater valves on the engine and turn them on in a certain sequence so all water in the heater circuit is replaced and no air is trapped. It is possible the valves leaked a little when they were turned off and on since they aren't used very often.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

You might want to check the condition of the radiator as well. Rear radiators like to get plugged up real easy. You have to pull the hatch & get your head down in their & with a good flashlight look into the radiator, between the fan blades. Dirt & such can really plug those rear radiators up! Most dowse the radiator down with something like Simple Green and let her soak awhile. If you have been lurking for years you have probably ran across some of radiator posts. Be very careful with a power washer, too high pressure can do some scary things to radiator fins!

Welcome!!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Make sure it's Simple Green Extreme, developed for aircraft and aluminum products or you can damage the radiator.

BTW

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #5

Thanks Clay!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat