RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #1

Discovery 40* Experiences - recent model years

About to pull the trigger on a new Discovery 40D. We are considering transitioning from weekenders to full timers over the next few months. I would very much like to hear practical experiences from recent model year owners of Discovery 40* units. With respect to non-Discovery owner/recent owners, I'm not looking for "general" DP feedback (already reviewed plenty of that).

Apologies for the long list (and it's not even the entire list!!!).
  • Drive quality (sway, etc.), and handling in wind and with passing 18 wheelers...does the suspension handle this well?
  • Alignment. I will build into my deal an alignment at a Freightliner facility prior to accepting. As-delivered, did anyone have issues with this?
  • Noise. Can you have a decent conversation while driving (I know engine noise is no issue...talking here about wind noise). Is inside fairly quiet while camping/parked?
  • Build quality. I'm used to fixing a few missing screws and such, so mostly interested here in disaster stories to look for during pre-purchase inspection...like stuff that either did not work or failed quicker after delivery.
  • Towing ability in hilly terrain. We will be keeping our 2017 F150 SuperCrew, which is about 5500 lbs as-loaded. The 40D we are looking at has a 10,000 hitch, so here I'm interested in performance "heading over the Rockies" type towing.
  • Cargo carrying capacity. I *think* we will have about 4500 lbs of cargo capacity (need to look at the sticker, and I'd require a truck scale weight before purchasing), which is more than sufficient. However, if anyone has actually done a front/rear weight at truck scales I'd be interested in how the weight is distributed between the front/rear axles.
  • Major mechanical issues. I'm an engineer and DIYer, but the one thing I would not want to address easily is the large slide-outs (as an example). I can replace a motor if easy to get to, but concerned about reliability of the slide-outs.
  • Aqua Heat (or whatever water-based heating system they have). Does that work well (with the heated floors) to keep the coach warm? Anyone have issues requiring major repair? Are there things to replace/maintain?
  • Hot water. Does the hot water for showers come from the Aqua Heat (I assume so)? If so, is it continuous (do you ever run out of hot water)? When hooked up to water/power/sewer I'd like to avoid the short "submarine showers" if possible.
  • Solar. I see where this has a 160W solar panel. Is that sufficient to keep enough energy for the residential fridge to run if boondocking without power (and wanting to avoid much generator usage)? Does it charge just the fridge batteries, or all coach batteries? Expandable to more panels? Automatic or do I have to "switch to solar"?
  • Anyone use the energy management system to keep batteries topped off when parked? Is it settable for park restrictions on hours of operation?
  • I see this comes with an in-mortion satellite dish, which I'm assuming is for DISH. Anyone use that? Is the dish an HD-capable dish? Should I plan on installing an HD automatic stationary dish (like the Winegard Trav'ler, which is what I have now)?
  • Technology package. I see there is some form of WiFi extender and/or cell signal booster. They work decently? I work from home (soon to be motorhome), so Internet is critical to me. Rather than rely on park WiFi I have a hotspot that I use...so curious how good the cell signal boosting is.
  • Energy management system. Does this protect against over and under voltage issues? In my Sunseeker I have a Hughes Autoformer, which boosts voltage in parks with low-voltage issues. If the EMS shuts off on low voltage than I'd keep the Autoformer for when that happens.
  • Other? Horror stories? Advice?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #2

We have a 2017 40E. Have owned it for a little over a year now. Went full time in March of this year. I have only really encountered small things. 2 instances ofPlumbing fittings not being tight. The dishwasher feed line and the washing machine hot water feed line. We have the truma tankless hot water heater. Works fine for the two of us. Our satellite is set for direct tv but I believe it can easily be configured for dish.
We tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and don’t even feel it back there.

MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO58 View Post
I have only really encountered small things. 2 instances ofPlumbing fittings not being tight. The dishwasher feed line and the washing machine hot water feed line.
I have tools galore...including everything to do PEX plumbing work, PVC work, etc. I think at the pre delivery inspection I'll have them remove any access panels and show me where everything is. I'll also reserve a few nights at a nearby RV park to "pressure test" the whole operation (washer/dryer, dishwasher, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO58 View Post
Our satellite is set for direct tv but I believe it can easily be configured for dish.
Is your dish the small black in-motion dome up top? If so, do you get DirecTV in HD (high definition) or just SD (standard definition)? I think DirecTV can only get SD with the smaller dish...but good to know I can use either (had DirecTV for a few years and loved it, but DISH seems to be more RV-friendly with moving locations). We will be full timing in one or two fixed locations (6 months each), with small trips here and there. I'll probably start with DISH and and the factory in-motion dish and see how that works...I can always add a Winegard Trav'ler big dish if needed later.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #4

Yes in-motion sat. You correct that direct does not receive HD only SD
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I love a detailed post. Here’s a detailed answer to the points I have experience with. Note a few things for background: we have a 2017 Discovery LXE 40G. 1.2 years old. Prior to that we had a 2016 Bounder 33C for one year. So we’re newbies with only Fleetwood experience. My answers/opinions below. I did not respond to items I have no experience with (example: solar).

Good luck,

—Rod

—Drive Quality is very good, light years ahead of our Bounder. Rock steady when an 18 wheeler passes.

—Alignment/suspension on delivery was good. Just returned from an 850 mile trip and noticed a slight pull to the right. I’m coming up on the 6000 mile mile chassis service so I’ll have them check it. I think you are doing the right thing in building it into the deal. But again, much better than the Bounder out of the box.

— Noise? What Noise? Ok it’s not perfect, but honestly, my Jeep is louder.

—Build quality. Meh. Not the greatest, but probably not the worst. The Bounder is our only comparison. Our biggest complaint is the awning, which started to droop on one side during the first trip. It was bad enough that I had to use a pole to help it clear the side when retracting. It was repaired under under warranty, but still has a slight sag. The rest is minor: the bedroom closet latch broke on day two. The basement doors are in constant need of alignment.

—Towing ability in hilly terrain. No issues. We did a trip from Ohio to Glacier NP and Cody Wyoming last year towing a trailer with a motorcycle (about 2200 pounds). Didn’t notice it. BTW, The engine retarder worked flawlessly.

—Major mechanical issues. Only one. The fuel filter ruptured about 200 miles into our first trip. Fixed graciously under warranty, but it cost us 3 days. No more traveling on holiday weekends.

—Hot water. The tankless system works well. No issues.

—Anyone use the energy management system to keep batteries topped off when parked?

We plug it in to 50 amps when stored. No battery issues.

—Satellite dish. Ours was set to Direct TV by default. Which is only SD. It can be set to Dish by reconfiguring the dip switch on the dish. Dish is HD. We intend to buy a Dish receiver and do this for our next trip. I’m going with Dish because of HD and pay as you go.
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #6

We have a 2015 40g that we bought one year old with 18k miles on it. We now have 42k miles. If 2015 is recent model enough, then:

*Drive quality: I am pleased, much improved over our previous gas class a. One handed driving for the most part if your so inclined. Don't notice trucks passing.

* Alignment- I did not have any alignment issues (like I did on my Ford chassis class a)

*Noise - it's like driving an electric car. Normal conversation was a breath of fresh air over the gas. Wind noise is not bad. This summer we were into 25-30 mph headwind while doing 65-70 and with Genny running was still normal conversation level.

*Build quality - imo it's much better than the entry level DP, but I would hope the 500k+ DPs were nicer. I have been pleased, everything I have run into I fixed myself and I think a lot of them was because of use. (Family of 5 with 150+ nights in it and 25k miles). Things like reattaching valances, running the floor ac vent to actually blow on my feet while driving, but nothing crazy from build quality.

*Towing in hilly - been very pleased. We are from the east and there are never issues. We have crossed the Rockies 6 times and l it has performed very well. Towing my 5200lb Jeep every trip. Even on the steepest grades I can maintain a decent speed while keeping temps low. Very few times have I reached the top of the mountains slower than 50mph. I second the exaust brake performing flawless on the way down too. (I do have the 380 motor ..I think some of the new ones might have the 360)

*Cargo carry - this is one of the reasons I went with the discovery. Most of the others I was looking at had the smaller motor/transmission and only had 1-1500 lbs OUCH. I am glad your looking at it. This summer trip (5 weeks of hot and cold weather) we were loaded down with gear and the 5 of us and had plenty of spare CCC. I weighed in around 10.5k up front and 21k in the rear. (Different model but you can get an idea)

*Mechanical issues - I had a fuel line burst on one trip and it cost around $200 to fix (in middle of nowhere Tennessee). Other than that, I proactively replaced the house batteries. I have had all preventative service done at Gaffney factory or Cummins.

*aqua hot - don't have it

*Solar - not sure. We liberally run the Genny because we like sleeping in a cold bedroom

*EMS - I have used the auto start in storage a couple times and it worked well. There is settings for quite hours but I have not used it.

*We used directtv for a bit, sorry.

*I have a WiFi router in the coach that I connect to a mobley or to a unbiquity nano to bridge to far away WiFi. I like you don't rely on Park WiFi for work. I carry the att mobley and a Verizon mifi. Yellowstone was one of the only places we didn't have signal so far. (Remote Utah some as well while jeeping, but I didn't try Verizon)

* EMS has been very good. Though we tend to stay in nicer parks. ... But we have never had an issue in the roadside places either.

We have been pleased with it.

... And the discovery owners group is very good. They run a email forum that gets answers very quickly and has good community.
trs80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
About to pull the trigger on a new Discovery 40D. We are considering transitioning from weekenders to full timers over the next few months. I would very much like to hear practical experiences from recent model year owners of Discovery 40* units. With respect to non-Discovery owner/recent owners, I'm not looking for "general" DP feedback (already reviewed plenty of that).

Apologies for the long list (and it's not even the entire list!!!).

• Drive quality (sway, etc.), and handling in wind and with passing 18 wheelers...does the suspension handle this well?
o Yes, the new V-ride suspension works very well controlling the motions in the RV. You still get pushed when passed by a semi but it is not disconcerting.
• Alignment. I will build into my deal an alignment at a Freightliner facility prior to accepting. As-delivered, did anyone have issues with this?
o We have had issues with front end alignment. Steering wheel is not centered and slight pull to the right.
• Noise. Can you have a decent conversation while driving (I know engine noise is no issue...talking here about wind noise). Is inside fairly quiet while camping/parked?
o You do have wind noise and a headwind will increase that noise but you can easily hear the radio, talk on the Bluetooth cell phone or have a conversation with your spouse
• Build quality. I'm used to fixing a few missing screws and such, so mostly interested here in disaster stories to look for during pre-purchase inspection...like stuff that either did not work or failed quicker after delivery.
o Fleetwood is in the middle of the pack as far as build quality goes but overall we have been pleasantly surprised by how few (and minor) our issues have been
• Towing ability in hilly terrain. We will be keeping our 2017 F150 SuperCrew, which is about 5500 lbs as-loaded. The 40D we are looking at has a 10,000 hitch, so here I'm interested in performance "heading over the Rockies" type towing.
o We haven’t left the flat lands yet but the power to weight ratio is “sports car” like….compared to our old 6.7L diesel. No issues towing a 4 door Frontier truck
Cargo carrying capacity. I *think* we will have about 4500 lbs of cargo capacity (need to look at the sticker, and I'd require a truck scale weight before purchasing), which is more than sufficient. However, if anyone has actually done a front/rear weight at truck scales I'd be interested in how the weight is distributed between the front/rear axles.
We had our rig weighed at Freightliner with our normal load. Front 11290 and rear 21620. What I found more interesting is the front side to side weight Left 6060 and right 5230.
• Major mechanical issues. I'm an engineer and DIYer, but the one thing I would not want to address easily is the large slide-outs (as an example). I can replace a motor if easy to get to, but concerned about reliability of the slide-outs.
o No issues in 10 months of ownership
• Iwell (with the heated floors) to keep the coach warm? Anyone have issues requiring major repair? Are there things to replace/maintain?
o We do not have the Aqua Hot system
• Hot water. Does the hot water for showers come from the Aqua Heat (I assume so)? If so, is it continuous (do you ever run out of hot water)? When hooked up to water/power/sewer I'd like to avoid the short "submarine showers" if possible.
o We have the Truma instant hot water system. I have my doubts about its longevity but so far it works great.
• Solar. I see where this has a 160W solar panel. Is that sufficient to keep enough energy for the residential fridge to run if boondocking without power (and wanting to avoid much generator usage)? Does it charge just the fridge batteries, or all coach batteries? Expandable to more panels? Automatic or do I have to "switch to solar"?
o Not sure how many watts ours produces but using your 160W that would only provide 1 ¼ amps @ 115V so no it probably will not keep up with the fridge draw but it will prolong the time before the generator would have to start to charge the batteries. Solar is fully automatic
• Anyone use the energy management system to keep batteries topped off when parked? Is it settable for park restrictions on hours of operation?
o The AGS system works as advertised. Set your thresholds and the generator will do its job.
• Technology package. I see there is some form of WiFi extender and/or cell signal booster. They work decently? I work from home (soon to be motorhome), so Internet is critical to me. Rather than rely on park WiFi I have a hotspot that I use...so curious how good the cell signal boosting is.
o I wouldn’t bother with the Wineguard WiFi booster. Get a good cellphone booster.
• Energy management system. Does this protect against over and under voltage issues? In my Sunseeker I have a Hughes Autoformer, which boosts voltage in parks with low-voltage issues. If the EMS shuts off on low voltage than I'd keep the Autoformer for when that happens.
o The EMS will protect your rig from high voltage by shutting down. You probably want to keep your Hughes.
• Other? Horror stories? Advice?
o Strictly my opinion, I think the Discovery series MHs offer a lot of bang for the buck. No regrets here.
paddler1954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
'15 40E here. Many many minor problems, no major at 31k miles. Recently water heater had 5 problems all at once, and water pump quit. Working on ice maker now. I fix everytime self, mostly to keep myself busy.
Got rid of Sat dish. Waste of time and money.
Added steering assist for possible blowouts and side winds.
Pull 3500# Accord. Been thru Rockies twice recently. At 11000' down to 35mph, 3rd gear.
Retarder works good but still must use service brakes occasionaly.
Some slight wind noise especially in headwind. Getting 8.8 mpg at 55-60 including light gen usage and mtn driving.
NO regrets in buying.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Added steering assist for possible blowouts and side winds.
What make/model of steering assist did you add?
Old 08-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
2017 lxe 40D bought new. Similar experience to previous posters. Really a lot of bang for the buck in these. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the L shaped couch as it's not that comfortable. If you have the option for theater seating or something else you might want to consider it. Long story short, I would buy another Discovery LXE in a heartbeat

2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D
tscarps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #11

THANKS!!!

I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback. We spent a few hours with the coach today...driving it on freeways and some rougher roads, crawling in/through/around all the storage bays, etc.), and have decided to pull the trigger on a 2019 40D, with pickup next week (a small list of minor punch list items they will address before then).

While driving it we pulled it into a CAT truck scale to get a baseline weight. Rear was 21000 lbs, front was 10920 with me, wife and sales guy (he is 200+ lbs), so the front would probably be 10700 lbs with just myself/wife. Coach had 1/8 tank of fuel...assuming that would be mostly over the rear it would take the rear to maybe 21600 lbs. So, about 4000 lbs“ish” CCC left (excluding myself/wife, as we were already inside during the CAT weighing). Even with 100 gallons of water that's still 3300 lbs left...and we don't own 3300 lbs of stuff.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #12

My weight with 2 people, full fuel and full water, waste tanks empty, was 11,600 front and 22,100 rear.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post

We recently moved to an 2019 American Dream from a 2017 Discovery. Here are a couple of things I could offer from our experience:

[*]Aqua Heat (or whatever water-based heating system they have). Does that work well (with the heated floors) to keep the coach warm? Anyone have issues requiring major repair? Are there things to replace/maintain?
- We have that on the new rig, see below about the water.
[*]Hot water. Does the hot water for showers come from the Aqua Heat (I assume so)? If so, is it continuous (do you ever run out of hot water)? When hooked up to water/power/sewer I'd like to avoid the short "submarine showers" if possible.
- We have the Aqua Hot for hot water in our new coach, it works very well on diesel, less well on electric. I'm not sure how the new Discoverys are configured though. We love not having to deal with propane!
[*]I see this comes with an in-mortion satellite dish, which I'm assuming is for DISH. Anyone use that? Is the dish an HD-capable dish? Should I plan on installing an HD automatic stationary dish (like the Winegard Trav'ler, which is what I have now)?
- We have this on the new coach, Dish is terrible to deal with! We have had it work a couple of times and they can't seem to figure out what to do to make it not just give us infomericals and ppv porn.
[*]Technology package. I see there is some form of WiFi extender and/or cell signal booster. They work decently? I work from home (soon to be motorhome), so Internet is critical to me. Rather than rely on park WiFi I have a hotspot that I use...so curious how good the cell signal boosting is.
- We upgraded to the technology package so we could have onboard wifi. We have a WeBoost cell booster that does work well, along with an ubiquity wifi router. The problem with the router is that it's the old technology one, it requires USB wifi - we can't seem to find any that will work and give us enough data to stream movies and not cost us a fortune. I would clarify what they were providing before adding that in. What the technology package didn't list (and obviously the biggest part of the cost) was an upgraded solar panel. I forget the amount, but I know it was a significant increase in wattage and could even power your refrigerator? Again, ask the question - an American Dream is a major upgrade from the Discovery and the specs could be different.
[*]Other? Horror stories? Advice?[/LIST]
Definitely join the Discovery owners group! The people there are great, full of help and assistance when needed!!
We have used the Fleetwood Service Centers for maintenance issues, so if you're near either of them (Indiana, Texas and Oregon) they are extremely helpful!
Enjoy your rig!
kaosinapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
What make/model of steering assist did you add?
Roadmaster, easy install. They make the best equipment in my opinion. About 1-2 hours total. Did it myself. Steering was stiff 1st hundred miles. Helps a little with winds and trucks but not drastically. Does not limit turning but slightly harder steering, which I don't notice anymore.

Tags
cover, discovery