Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Discovery Full Wall Slide Travel Clamp (Update)

Email I sent today to FW and to HWH regarding the travel clamps on a full wall slide, you might want to double check yours!

The Part number is AP39487

Happy 4th Everybody!

Further to our previous email correspondence.
Attached photo of the part number
Attached photos of the failed travel clamp, broken mounting pieces, detail of mount

I can only assume there are two possible reasons for failure; a)faulty mould of the plastic b)the fact that during the mounting process at the factory, the roller pin binds on the wood frame causing excess pressure.

I see no reason why with less than 50 slide cycles I should have to be responsible for the replacement of the failure Joe, so your options are most welcome on how to resolve.

CARA (Reading in copy)

You can clearly see the fault in this unit and out of warranty or not, it should be addressed by FW.

I would also like to highlight that your installation process needs refinement in two areas;
a) The wooden frame piece mounted to the slide wall needs to be notched prior to installation to avoid binding
b) The 7/16 carriage bolts (2) that hold the clamp to the 4 mounting brackets should be installed with the "heads" down, in order that the clamp could be removed without having to deconstruct the most over engineered cover frame I have ever seen and the impossible placement of the top inside woodscrew that is nearly impossible to remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	132029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	132030  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	132031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	132032  

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

I had the same problem. Tired of nonsense so I fabbed up new steel mounts which boxed in the old ones. I replaced the lag bolts as well. Poor, poor design. Here is the rough finished piece. I'm traveling now and it's working well.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467684101.026770.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  114.7 KB
Old 07-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks! Love Malamutes... How did you get the top 2 mounting bolts out? I am thinking I will have to router to get at them, especially one closest to outside.
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 07-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #4

Truthfully I had more room. I'd use a very sharp wood working chisel to make space and allow for a clean edge.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #5

So what did you do (if anything) in the mean time while traveling? Are these slide locks necessary? I'd hate to have the slide roll our while driving (especially with my daughter seatbelted into the dinette).

I was thinking of cutting a few pieces of wood to jam into the space between the slide and the wall just in case of a failure during a trip.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi,
We are parked for the summer, so not a concern. However, this is not a go/no go issue. The travel clamps are meant to hold the top of the slide in a "sudden" manoeuvre to the right (that will be the least of your worries). The slides are held in place by the motor brake and when the stop is reached the motor brake applies and there is a lock that snaps into place. These automatic clamps, replace the old slide lock "bars" that you would put in place manually, of which most people never did. I copied FW in my 2nd email to the manufacturer and FW responded with a terse email, that out of warranty and not their issue, even though I pointed out for their benefit-not requesting they replace, but they should have at least done something (sorry would have been nice), but ah the days of public traded companies. That lady (Cara) at FW customer service needs to go to customer service school. HWH on the other hand is perplexed and appears coming to the party.
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 07-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
FINAL UPDATE;
Even thought Fleetwood told me to pound sand (out of warranty) a shout out to Joe at HWH (manufacturer) who confirmed that although out of warranty they will goodwill replace the clamp!
So the new one is enroute.
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 07-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #8

I did some PM on mine when we first acquired the new to us coach. I found LOTS of loose nuts & bolts. My rear clamp had frayed the wire but I corrected that issue & also tightened up some fittings. So far, So good. I went as far as purchasing a Power Gear teaching pendant I spotted on Ebay!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discovery, slide, travel