Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Discovery inverter problems

I have a 2000 Discovery with a Heart Interface 2000 inverter. I have never used the inverter. When I recently tried to use it, there is no power. I have 12v power to the unit and out to the converter next to it. Any suggestions?
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Obvious things that you probably already checked but there are breakers on the inverter itself and if you have the 'remote monitoring panel', I believe it overrides the power switch on the inverter itself (i.e. if the inverter says ON but the panel says OFF, it will be OFF).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Are you sure you are using outlets and/or appliances that are wired to the inverter...not all are.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #4

Your description has me puzzled. The Heart 2000 is an inverter/charger. It would be very unusual to have an inverter/charger and a converter. When an inverter/charger is installed the converter is normally removed and the charger portion of the Heart does the charging.
To find out which outlets should be powered from the inverter - There should be a 30 amp breaker in the main breaker panel labeled 'inverter'. Open that breaker while plugged into shore power and check outlets for power. The ones with no power are powered from the inverter.
Now close the inverter 30 amp breaker and disconnect from shore power and turn the inverter on. Make sure the inverter light is lit on the inverter box. The outlets that did not have power should now be powered.
What do you use to charge the batteries?
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
did u try reseting it.
Pittsburgh Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not have a remote panel (at least that I can find) There is a converter next to the inverter. Inverters are new to me. I have never used one. I do not have a breaker in the main panel that is labeled "inverter". I have about five or six breakers and they are labeled Air Cond #1, Air Cond #2, Appliances, Coach Power, etc. The breakers on the inverter are for AC power out. I got the inverter to turn on by pressing the buttons on the inverter itself ("inverter" & "charge") but I can't get any AC power inside the coach on anything.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is it possible that...

is it possible that the power from the inverter has to go through the ground-fault interupter outlet inside the coach? I'm going to change that out today and see if it helps solve the problem.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #8

If there is a GFI on a circuit with receptacles the AC has to go through the GFI.
If the coach power breaker is 30 amp that is the AC breaker to the inverter.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's what I've found...

I changed out the GFI receptical. The old one kept tripping. Now, when I connect the coach to AC power, the invertor will stay in invert mode. When I disconnect the AC power, inverter immediately goes to "overheat" mode and the fans come on. Something is wrong but I don't know how to find it. I need help!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Narrowing it down...

This morning I tried something new...I shut off the entire coach AC breaker panel and then tried the inverter again. No luck. It immediately switched to overtemp/overload mode again and the fans started running. I tried the same thing by just switching off the 20A & 15A breakers on the front of the inverter...still no luck. I'm beginning to believe that the problem lies in the inverter itself. I guess the only thing left to try is to remove the 120V load wires from the inverter and see if that still creates the problem. Any suggestions...?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvscharfe
This morning I tried something new...I shut off the entire coach AC breaker panel and then tried the inverter again. No luck. It immediately switched to overtemp/overload mode again and the fans started running. I tried the same thing by just switching off the 20A & 15A breakers on the front of the inverter...still no luck. I'm beginning to believe that the problem lies in the inverter itself. I guess the only thing left to try is to remove the 120V load wires from the inverter and see if that still creates the problem. Any suggestions...?
If you look to the left of the breaker panel you should see the Genset 1, Genset 2, Shore and Inverter wires. All should be marked. Check those connections. I have seen burnt wires in that location before
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Heater. Doesn't it make sense though, that if I've shut off the outgoing breakers on the inverter itself and it still goes into an "overtemp/overload" mode, that the problem is in the inverter itself...?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvscharfe
Thanks Heater. Doesn't it make sense though, that if I've shut off the outgoing breakers on the inverter itself and it still goes into an "overtemp/overload" mode, that the problem is in the inverter itself...?
Yes unless there is a short between the inverter outgoing side and the breaker.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter