Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #1

Discovery Owners Association???

Does anyone know why its such a strange process to sign up to the Discovery Owners Association?
You go on line and register and pay. Then you get an email with a temporary sign on but it doesn’t give you access to the form or eGroups. You have to wait 3 weeks for a package to come in the mail with your final user name and password. Then you can go back on line and ask for access to the eGroups which also must be approved. Do they have absolute idiots running that site or what? Its a very odd way to run a site with todays technology?

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38T Pusher
Cdn-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would guess they have had problems with spammers or other undesirables and have taken steps to control their audience. The Discovery Owners have an excellent library of help for their members and strive hard to protect it. Why they go to those extremes is best explained by their site management rather than somebody here guessing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Do they have absolute idiots running that site or what?
Welcome to the DOIA
It is a all volunteer ran club. Be sure to volunteer to help out where you can.
Run for a office and get things changed.

Sounds like they are getting a great new member.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Welcome to the DOIA
It is a all volunteer ran club. Be sure to volunteer to help out where you can.
Run for a office and get things changed.

Sounds like they are getting a great new member.
Actually I didn’t join. I was looking for some quick info and circumstances didn’t allow the 3-week wait. It started to look like the group was more into getting together and weaving baskets than sharing technical information. If I eventually find they have quality info I might join in the future but I’m defiantly not interested in attending any sort of club type event. Just not my thing.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn-Tx View Post
Actually I didn’t join. I was looking for some quick info and circumstances didn’t allow the 3-week wait. It started to look like the group was more into getting together and weaving baskets than sharing technical information. If I eventually find they have quality info I might join in the future but I’m defiantly not interested in attending any sort of club type event. Just not my thing.
As a member I can attest to the quality of the info on the site. Great help when you have a problem. Somebody usually has an answer.Give it a try.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Actually they have a wealth of technical info and you are really missing out.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Actually they have a wealth of technical info and you are really missing out.
I may have to try joining again. I actually signed up with PayPal then got the strange email back saying I was good to go, only to find out the temporary sign-on didn’t do much of anything. Found out a password that gets you to the forum comes in snail mail and takes a number of weeks to show. Part of a “package” that sounded like it would include an invite to basket weaving classes. I started to suspect it I was headed for tons of junk mail so did a request for PayPal refund and got it. Well, you never really get a PayPal payment back…it sits in an online account somewhere but figured the 20 bucks down the drain was worth trying to stop a bunch of junk mail from insurance companies and health care providers linked to the “package”. Advice to the group would be don’t send out temporary passwords and sign-on’s that don’t give access to what I suspect most people are looking for. It actually was more frustrating having a sigh on that didn’t work than not having on at all.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn-Tx View Post
I may have to try joining again. I actually signed up with PayPal then got the strange email back saying I was good to go, only to find out the temporary sign-on didn’t do much of anything. Found out a password that gets you to the forum comes in snail mail and takes a number of weeks to show. Part of a “package” that sounded like it would include an invite to basket weaving classes. I started to suspect it I was headed for tons of junk mail so did a request for PayPal refund and got it. Well, you never really get a PayPal payment back…it sits in an online account somewhere but figured the 20 bucks down the drain was worth trying to stop a bunch of junk mail from insurance companies and health care providers linked to the “package”. Advice to the group would be don’t send out temporary passwords and sign-on’s that don’t give access to what I suspect most people are looking for. It actually was more frustrating having a sigh on that didn’t work than not having on at all.
Try sending an email to (DOAIMembership@discoveryowners.com) they may be able to help
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Try sending an email to (DOAIMembership@discoveryowners.com) they may be able to help
Thanks….I sent them a message asking if I can join as an associate member only because their website suggests a person gets a sign on right away rather than waiting weeks for snail mail to come through. I think the associate membership gives access to the technical info on the form and that’s all I was looking for anyway. However, I still don’t understand why an association based around the internet uses snail mail to send out their sign-on’s and passwords and why it take 3 to 4 weeks to do it? Its sort of like printing off all your emails to read them. And they have a logo on the home page: DOAI GoGreen ????

Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
They don't send any bunch's of junk mail from insurance companies and health care providers linked to the “package”.
They are not a for profit Club like GS.

In fact you can opt to read the magazine on line and not even get it mailed to you.

Associate membership only gives you assess to the web based forum & Hints and tips that has a lot of information for D owners.

A full membership give you assess to the eGroup that is like a separate group from the web forum.
With it any problems you have. Especially having a problem while on the road. Will go out to all members via email and a faster response for a answer will be gotten.

Web forum has a better search function though.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #11

So…I have rejoining today as a full member after I received an email from the DOAI membership coordinator explaining the original delay. I suspect things will be a bit more streamlined this time. It sounds like the time delay in getting my sign on information was due to the coordinator’s travel schedule however that was not communicated in the original notification of the delay. It came across as “here’s how it works here” type of message. Unfortunately when dealing with email’s the receiving party can miss read the intent of the message and the author can assume the recipient understands the full picture. It looks like a typical case of that.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Glad to have you aboard DOAI!

Lots of technically competent folks are in the group. Answers to questions are usually fast and correct
wirelessenab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #13

Well let’s hope the questions one posts are answered quicker than the signing up process. I paid (again) and still no word back from them.