Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

Discovery Radiator Cleaning

Well, after speaking to Fleetwood regarding the access to the engine covers on our 2004 discovery you would have thought it would take an act of God to get them out. Actually it was pretty simple. I'll post some detailed photo's here shortly but by no means is this a difficult job. Anyway, our radiator was very dirty and would guess it was 75% plugged on the engine side whereas the backside was perfectly clean.

I used purple cleaner with an pump bottle to apply, let set for 10-15 minutes and used a standard hose nozzle. Be sure you spray water through the radiator from the back to wash the dirt away from the fins toward the engine side. I found spraying from the engine side directly at the dirt only pushed it into the fins rather washing it out. I did the process twice and now standing behind the coach just about blows your hat off

Purple cleaner was 16 bucks for 2-1/2 gallons and I only used half of it to clean the job 100%.

Good luck if you decide to "Do it yourself"
discovery39s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:48 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
Well, after speaking to Fleetwood regarding the access to the engine covers on our 2004 discovery you would have thought it would take an act of God to get them out. Actually it was pretty simple. I'll post some detailed photo's here shortly but by no means is this a difficult job. Anyway, our radiator was very dirty and would guess it was 75% plugged on the engine side whereas the backside was perfectly clean.

I used purple cleaner with an pump bottle to apply, let set for 10-15 minutes and used a standard hose nozzle. Be sure you spray water through the radiator from the back to wash the dirt away from the fins toward the engine side. I found spraying from the engine side directly at the dirt only pushed it into the fins rather washing it out. I did the process twice and now standing behind the coach just about blows your hat off

Purple cleaner was 16 bucks for 2-1/2 gallons and I only used half of it to clean the job 100%.

Good luck if you decide to "Do it yourself"
You have discovered what I tell others with over heating problems all the time! They say, they had it cleaned from both sides, "They are clean" and it still over heats?
I have said, since I tore mine apart like you just did, that no matter how much one cleans them(Charge air cooler & Radiator) or the methods used, they will be shocked when they take them apart how plugged of they are................
They have to be taken apart to clean properly! Some say "No they don't" and they have cleaned them in place with no troubles............
my reply is " If you never have had them apart, how do you know what they look like" ?..........they don't.
Looking forward to your photo's............
Here is a good thread on this subject with picture's http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/rear-...ng-163541.html
Old 07-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Radiator cleaning

I bought a used RV (2003 Fleetwood Providence) three years ago. It had 20K miles on it and was reported to be a bank repossession. I think it must have been stored inside though as it was in excellent shape.

I had owned a gas Southwind about 20 years ago, but nothing but tag alongs and a 5th wheel since. I certainly did not know anything about a diesel pusher.

I read all the horror stories about plugged radiators. I had to change the belts, so with the fan drive belt off, I could rotate the fan. Yep there was quite a bit of dirt on the fins of both the radiator and the charge air cooler below. I took photos with my camera that I used for work. (LED light) I got out my air sprayer and fed it right out of the bottle. I used Simple Green, but about any of the good de-greasers will work fine. I let it sit for a bit and then sprayed it from the outside in using a good water hose. I then clean the inside as well and clean the engine and all of the accessories that I can. Comes out clean as a whistle.

I have had it out West and climbed mountains in pretty good temps. Never saw over 193 degrees on my Scan Gauge. In other words barely into the normal zone on the temp gauge. I continue to make radiator cleaning a routine summer time maintenance job when I change oil and service the PAC brake. I always take photos and since the original cleaning I have never seen more than maybe a very little bit. I can assure you I don't intend to remove the radiator for cleaning!! I wil do that if it leaks!!

When all has been cleaned, I let the engine run at about 1000 rpm with the speed control and check all corners for good air flow. Never have had a problem.
Turbine Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

Yep, I agree. Our trip to and from Florida fully loaded with 1,500 lb. boat in tow she ran perfect. Jelico mountains were a breeze. No high temp issues whatsoever and she only lost 5-7 mph going up the mountains. Rather working from below I cut out a circular disk from the fan shroud, used the cut out as a plug and mounted aluminum straps to reinstall the cut out. Makes for a handy inspection plate and further ease belt replacement.

I did find a better product to clean the gunk. Gunk sells a foaming engine cleaner that absolutely "lifts" the oily grim off the surface. Spray it on and watch the grim lift off. Heavy areas required two applications however it left the surface oil free once rinsed and air dried. found at NAPA on sale for $3 bucks a can. Used 4 cans to clean entire engine, tranny and engine compartment. Just FYI.

Happy 4th. to all and travel SAFE
discovery39s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator