Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Discovery vs Bounder

Opinions welcomed. Looking to purchase a Fleetwood Discovery or Bounder of '07 08 09 vintage.
Interest is in the differences in workmanship (cabinets, systems, etc.). Discovery(s) run $5k to $10k more in the "for sale by owner" category. There is a typical difference of HP of the Cummins engine, such as 325 for Bounder and 350 for Discovery or 330 CAT in Discovery. The 380 Cummins was not available in this time period (yes, understand torque in the more important number). So Fleetwood owners (past or present)--any quality differences that are worth more than the small typical Discovery premium? Dealers seem to be asking $15 to $20k more for Discovery. And maybe the important difference are Maintenance records, coverage storage, age of tires and batteries, etc., etc. Also open to advice, such as "Don't buy a Fleetwood from that time period".
Vince & Patricia, Carson City, NV, FMCA, RVMutants#130
With: Ch. "Carrie", Std. Schnauzer & "Sophie" Cocker
'06 Phaeton 40QDH + '11 Fiesta w/ AirForceOne.
"It is more important to know the journey is the destination than to get there quickly."
desertvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #2

I have an 07 Bounder. In 07,08,09 Discovery and Bounder were the same gvw of 33000. The Discovery has a few extra bells and whistles along with the engine. Auto Gen Start, etc. 07 was the last year Cat was in the Fleetwood. It is the same with anything, for extra bucks you get extra stuff.

I've had mine for 7 years and many trips. It is very comfortable and easy to drive. If they offered a current 38v I would get another one.

Immediately change to Michelin tires and Koni shocks.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #3

We are new to RVing and just bought a 97 Bounder. We looked at the Discovery for a little more but the wife didn't like the way it looked so went with the Bounder. It is really a personal thing. I looked at the over cost long term and whether I could do some maintenance myself. Whatever you buy have fun and congrats.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Biggest difference might be between 08 and 09 when they changed the slides and storage. 08 and previous slide included storage 09 storage in basement with side open doors. 08 was also came with 1 piece windshield. I looked for an 08 for over a year then stumbled upon my 2010 that I could not pass up. We absolutely love our Fleetwood Discovery. Might also take a look at 2008 Provicence. Big engine There is one in Grandbury Tx by owner on rvtrader. I almost bought it in July. It is southwest of Fort Worth and close to MHSRV. Good luck!! JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If its only a $5K to $10K difference, then the Discovery in my mind is the easy winner, the extra's here and there are nice and you can never have enough engine.

Good luck.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hog, I almost went to look at that MH in Grandbury, my only gripe was the outdoor sliding kitchen thingy, did not want to give up the storage space for that, also did not care for the TV in the bay, prefer it in the slide out wall.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dego, Nice to hear from you, The outdoor kitchen was a must for me. Im kinda messy and it keeps it outdoors. The 2010 kitchen is much smaller and does not take up nearly as much room. Ditto on the wall mounted TV.. I am headed to Camping World in New Brausfels this afternoon to get my jacks fixed and a couple other things.
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

Purchased an 07 Discovery 39V ths last spring. Great rig! don't have the ouside kitchen. Don't think I'd us it that much if I did have it.

RM
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good luck at CW Hog, those guys are clowns down there, double and tripple check everything they touch. While I do 99% of all work myself, the last time I did have to take my previous MH in for repairs, used a company in SA, maybe 15 minutes down 35 from CW.

Tags
bounder