Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #1

Discovery vs Expedition

We are thinking our next MH will be a 2001 – 2002 Diesel Pusher. So for we have been able to test drive a Discovery but not an Expedition. On the internet they look very similar. I assume the drive train and the chassis will be about the same, and interior of the Discovery will be higher quality. Is this true? How much difference it there between them? Is there a difference in the quality of the appliances? Would you recommend a 2001 Discovery over a 2002 Expedition?
keyman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same chassis, same engine, same tranny, same furnace, refer, cooktop, micro, water heater, a/c and on and on and on. The major difference is in the decor. Which floor plan do you like? Thats the key. JMHO.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #3

Maybe yes, and maybe no on the Expedition and the Discovery having the same chassis. True they may both be made by Freightliner, but in the 2000-2001 series, some Expeditions did not have the air suspension system, they had conventional springs.
I sat next to a fellow with a 2000 or 2001 Expedition a few years ago, and got an ear full from him.
I think that if you check, you will find that the Discovery has a 'bigger bang for the buck' than the Expedition, especially in those year series.
Be advised that in the Discovery, prior to the 2002 series, they have a 30A system with a EMS. The 2002 series, and later have a 50A system with EMS. I am not sure about the Expeditions for those years series, but I think they also had the 30A system, which were often overloaded when trying to run too many appliances/air conditioning. The main problems seemed to be a 'hokie' 30A circuit breaker in the power entrance compartment, and a 'too light' 30A ATS relay setup. I have assisted in repairing a couple of them on the Discoveries, and was thankful for our 50A setup. Again, not sure about the Expeditions for those years.
Also, starting with the 2001.5 Discovery, they came with a 330HP CAT engine, and a "flat floor" living room slideout. Prior to that model, they came with either the 275 or 300 HP Cummings power plants, if memory serves me right.
While I am not bad-mouthing the Expedition, as I think it is a fine unit, I personally think the Discovery has more to offer.
One Giant Plus for the Discovery is the Discovery Owners Association, INC.
DOAI which has over 1200 members, who have a wealth of information on the Discoveries.
So, IMHO, my recommendation would be a Discovery in a 2002 or later version.

Bill
2002 Discovery 37T 330 CAT
Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Not a whole lot of difference in specs, but the 2002 Discovery was a bit nicer all the way around. MSRP was about $10-$15k more and that got you nicer trim and small features that make it a classier coach. An Expedition might have the sames extras, though, since they were available as options in most cases anyway.

You can compare chassis specs on the Freightliner Custom Chassis web site - see the Built On Freightliner page and go to "Previous model years" for details of the chassis under each model you are considering.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the great advice. I went to the freightliner archive and found the info (it's a shame that they only go back to 2002). There is a big difference between the Expedition 2002 standard chassis
and the Expedition 2002 optional chassis
The Expedition 2002 optional chassis and the Discovery chassis seem to be identical except for the motor.
keyman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

You can Download Brochures Back to "99" on those for standard & optional items.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote