Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Discovery's With Clarion Radio/GPS

I don't know how long Fleetwood has been using The Clarion NX/NZ 500 as the radio/GPS system in it RV's, but I am really disappointed with GPS portion of the unit in my 2010 40G. It won't let me enter the name of for example, a state park in KY near Land Between the Lakes. When attempting to key in the parks name, some of the keys are "greyed out" and can't be used to complete the name It seems in another example of a problem I'm having, It wouldn't let me enter in the GPS coordinates I have resorted to using my Garman until I get my laptop/Streets and Trips set up with GPS finder.

Anyone have any problems with this system similiar to what i'm having? Any replies/advice would be appreciated in advance Thanks!!

Bill
tmmk90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We have the Clarion in our 2011 Revolution. It sucks. I can't imagine a less user friendly GPS (which doesn't even have a campground category). The radio is junk. You pretty much have to be under the stations antenna for it to get clear reception.

We've been using our ancient Garmin GPS, setting it on the dash right on top of the OEM piece of trash, since day one. I just ordered the new Rand McNally RV specific GPS for the RV. We'll retire our old Garmin to toad duty only.

I have my complaints on the radio on my squawk list for my upcoming visit to Decatur for warranty work. It will be interesting to see how they address the issue.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for your reply..... I would REALLY be interested in hearing what they have to say about this problem. Would you mind posting back after you see the tech's (when?) in Decatur? Thanks again for the reply.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #4

In the 2012 models they have switched to Sony units.

Not only did Clarion unit suck, but customer service was worse yet.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used streets and trips for 5 years. In my 2010 DiscoveryLE, (Providence) I had to make an aluminum platform for the laptop to sit on, but I love my streets and trips. I have tried once to use the clarion unit, but got so frustrated that I have never tried it again in 17,000 miles. As for the radio, it does suck, but I use direct TV and listen to oldies on 802!
wah864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Very glad to learn FW has changed to Sony. I hope that is better. We have a 2010 40K and the Clarion was so clumsy on first try that we plunked our Garmin up on the "dash" as well. We were very surprised how the radio was more like my transistor radio from the 6th grade. Is is better when parked so I'm wondering if it is the antenna fluttering in the breeze up top? Let us know when you make a visit to Decatur.

We use the unit only to 'navigate' to the rear camera screen to view the toad behind us to make sure it is still there

Otherwise, we love our coach.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow!!! Thanks for the responses I have had 12-15 responses from different boards, and all basically said the same thing, Clarions units are a piece of crap.

Even though my 40G is a month or so out of warranty, I think I'll call Fleetwood customer service and mention how many unhappy Fleetwood owners with Clarion GPS units are out here, and see if they'll do anything about it

I will reply back with whatever they tell me.

Thanks for the input!!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with you guys, The Clarion is the worst GPS system I have ever used. Even when you get your destination entered their is hardly any information available on the screen. Not even major city names like Phoenix AZ or Houston TX. It will tell you when to turn but thats about all. I ended up downloading the "Motion X drive" app on my IPAD. By the way the IPAD app works great, has traffic and lots of POI's. Really easy to operate and a big screen. App was only $2.99 for 30 days.
mrrusty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jay:

The question to ask Fleetwood, would the Sony be a direct replacement for our "less than desirable" Clarion system. In other words is there possibly a wiring harness adaptor, speaker compatibility, etc.
I attempted to try the Clarion again yesterday (GPS that is) and gave up again, my Ipad/Iphone works SO much better. I'd really like to get a radio that would allow me to get local radio stations.
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #10

tmmk90

I have a 2010 40G also but my radio/Nav is a Pioneer AVIC-X 710. It seems to look like the Clarion (I looked at a Clarion on line) but is logo'd Pioneer and the owner's manual is also Pioneer. Mine also will be 1 year old next month. I am confused as to how they used a different unit in D's so close in production date.
Primetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
FW probably got a deal on a contaner of them. Hopefully they will learn from their mistake!
mrrusty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ditto all of the comments on the Clarion. If it wasn't for the built in Sirius Satellite, I would replace the radio, but I love my satellite radio. As for the GPS portion, I just received the Rand McNally 7710 and am anxious to try it out.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #13

The only good thing about the Clarion GPS it works well as a speedometer. Other wise it a piece of junk.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did call Customer Support as I said I would, and was told that Clarion would be contacting me. That was several weeks ago and I have yet to hear from them. I think it's time for another call