Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I'm not sure it's a good idea to put a lot of oil into the bowl just to end up in the black tank...?? User info for the SeaLand toilet says to use a LIGHT coating of vegetable oil or furniture polish on the seal.

Tim, have you ever changed the seal in your toilet? How old is it? If it's clean and pliable but still leaking, it sounds like you need to replace it to me.

From the SeaLand troubleshooting guide... (click to see larger)
To answer the question, no in the little over a year that I've owned it the problem of leaking has only occurred now and then and I've really not sure what cleared it up then. Now after having the ball valve replaced bt CW it won't hold water and thus far CW hasn't returned my call. When I picked up the coach they had applied enough wax looking material in bowl that it didn't leak. After using for a few days the leaking started. I've tightened the band on outside of bowl some but no help. May try that some more.

How do you inspect seal without dismantling bowl?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
To answer the question, no in the little over a year that I've owned it the problem of leaking has only occurred now and then and I've really not sure what cleared it up then. Now after having the ball valve replaced bt CW it won't hold water and thus far CW hasn't returned my call. When I picked up the coach they had applied enough wax looking material in bowl that it didn't leak. After using for a few days the leaking started. I've tightened the band on outside of bowl some but no help. May try that some more.

How do you inspect seal without dismantling bowl?
Hmmmm. Sounds like you need to take it back to CW and let them fix it right.

What is the brand/model of your toilet? You should be able to Google for the user manual if you don't have one. There are troubleshooting guides on the Dometic Sealand website, if that's the type you have.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't be too gentle

One of the things that's counter intuitive with regard to RV toilets and it's something great comes up several times a year.

Don't be gentle with the valve. Let it slam shut.

Some toilet seals can be replaced without even removing the toilet. I worked on a Sealand 310 a couple of weeks ago and the seal could be removed just by prying it out with your (gloved) fingers.

Our last three RV's have had toilets that could be split simply by removing the band clamp that holds the bowl to the pedestal. A simple job, but still not pleasant.

The water in the bowl is an important thing keeping 'tank smell' from getting to your nose. In my opinion it's worth whatever they charge for new seals.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Hmmmm. Sounds like you need to take it back to CW and let them fix it right.

What is the brand/model of your toilet? You should be able to Google for the user manual if you don't have one. There are troubleshooting guides on the Dometic Sealand website, if that's the type you have.
Back to CW is my plan if I can get them to return my calls. I'm actually asking all these questions so I'll be better educated on the matter. Hopefully I'll recognize facts from BS.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about CW but it's looking like all the complaining is for good reason.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If my Sealand won't hold water I first try cleaning the seal with the toilet brush by twisting back and forth with the valve open. If that doesn't work I use an ice cream to gently clean the underside of the seal. That always works.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
If that doesn't work I use an ice cream to gently clean the underside of the seal. That always works.

Chuck
OK Chuck. I'm going to need more details on your "technique." Chocolate or vanilla???
Old 07-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
My toilet doesn't hold water either, so after reading all the home remedies tried vegetable oil in the bowl overnight. well... that didn't do anything except waste a cup of oil... so I figure it's time to do it right... I checked out a youtube video on how to change a seal and ordered a new seal from Amazon last night for $26 shipped to my house. The job (on a Sealand/Dometic model 110) looks really easy to do and can't take more than 30 minutes. Seems like time better spent than these short term band aids... I'll post my results.

BTW, I wouldn't give Camping World any job to do. Just my opinion... I may get a little "dirty", but it will take me less time, no gas (diesel), no aggrevation with service techs, and a lot less money to do it myself. Seems I never hear a good story in here when it involves Camping World... I can't understand how I can do a job once and get it right, and they do the same jobs all day every day and don't!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CW

Camping World has gone down the crapper. And they apparently ruined yours on the way down.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks all for your replies! StevieG good luck and do post your results, seems this problem occurs more often than most want to talk about.

For the record, day two, no return call from CW! So here is what I did, cleaned seal and ball with soap and water and vinegar mix. Tightened up ban around bowl. Then let valve slam shut! Cleaned ball again, slam shut! Started holding water. Poured olive oil in to set on ball and has been holding it for about 5 hours now.

Thanks again Irv2 members, you came through once again. If your at the national I'll be glad to show you my crapper! Lol
Old 07-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #38

I had the same problem and tried all the little "tricks". Turned out the plastic ball wasn't pushing up against the seal tight enough because it wasn't in the "track" right. Pulled up on the ball and a quick slam shut. Boom! Back in business!
Cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I want Chuck to come back and tell us about the ice cream fix.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I want Chuck to come back and tell us about the ice cream fix.
I, on the other hand, like to keep my thoughts on ice cream and items discussed on this thread as far apart as possible! LoL
Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Fact: petroleum products damage neoprene. Along with a fairly long list of other common chemicals/compound.

This applies to all types of seals and products made out of neoprene.

Is it the manufacturers 'opinion' when they specifically state not to use petroleum based lubricants on neoprene based seals? The only lubricants they recommend are silicone based.

My opinion is that you've been lucky.
toilit seals are really just a clumsey piece of black crappy rubber. a little Vaseline to soften it up every 6 months hurts nothing
don't be making this a pinion seal on a lear jet now for heavens sake
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Sarah,
Just seen your two posts, wasn't sure if you were serious in the first post. You can use any flavor you like, I like chocolate covered vanilla and 50/50 bars. I use the ice cream stick to clean the crud that builds up on the underside of the seal by just rubbing the stick back and forth against the seal. In the area where the ball doesn't retract all the way I gently work the stick between the seal and the ball. That has always worked for me on Sealand toilets. It's up to you if you want to use a glove, I do.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water