Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Hi Sarah,
Just seen your two posts, wasn't sure if you were serious in the first post. You can use any flavor you like, I like chocolate covered vanilla and 50/50 bars. I use the ice cream stick to clean the crud that builds up on the underside of the seal by just rubbing the stick back and forth against the seal. In the area where the ball doesn't retract all the way I gently work the stick between the seal and the ball. That has always worked for me on Sealand toilets. It's up to you if you want to use a glove, I do.

Chuck
Ah! Ice cream STICK. From your first post, you just said "ice cream." LOL!! Just funnin' with you, Chuck. Thanks for the clarification.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, I have a habit of leaving out words, thinking faster then I type. If I don't re-read my posts I'll miss it. I normally put the post in preview so it's easy to edit.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Thanks all for your replies! StevieG good luck and do post your results, seems this problem occurs more often than most want to talk about.
I received the seal kit in the mail today. Also went camping. In between setting up at the site and my second beer, I decided to change out the seal. 30 minutes later the job was done. Water in the toilet. A little messy, but not too bad. $26 and 30 minutes beats wondering every time you flush if the water is going to stay or go down...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Whew

Glad we got thru that one. I never new there were so many ways to service the loo.

Another happy end on iRV2.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #47

YES! Me To!!!
Bought seal for 29 smackers and about 20 minutes and it holds water! LOL
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #48

Thumbs up This was the fix for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
One of the things that's counter intuitive with regard to RV toilets and it's something great comes up several times a year.

Don't be gentle with the valve. Let it slam shut.
Thank you for taking the time to contribute to this thread! The above seems to have been our problem - now it's fixed.

Grateful!
Westward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Thanks for all replies. Is there a way to inspect the seal without dismantling toilet? As it is now olive oil will leak thru pretty fast.
My guess is you have some TP or stuff lodged in the lip of the seal and no amount of grease will fix it until you clean the seal.
The way to clean the seal is first shut off the water, then Don your latex gloves and run your finger around the lip of the seal to remove any "debris" from the seal.
Now, put a dab of plumbers grease or silicone grease, whatever name you choose, on your finger and work the grease all the way around the seal. Done.
Do this once a year or so and you'll have no further trouble.

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go to Lowes or Home Depot etc and get some silicone grease from plumbing section of store. It costs about $3.50 for a small container. Drain the water from toilet and wipe it as dry as you can. Then apply some of the silicone grease around the seal. Worked for me. Lot easier than changing ball seal, and the little can of grease lasts a long time, cheaper as well. These seals get out of whack and lubing them with the silicone grease often corrects the problem. DO NOT use an lube that has a petroleum base, it will ruin the seal for sure.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I alway have water or antifreeze in the bowl and it still hold water (knock on wood). I think the longest it been without me checking is two months. I dont normally refill it unless I use it. I have a sticker on mine to remind guests to use lots and lots of water. I would rather have to go get more water then work on the toilet/black tank/dump valves.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
Go to Lowes or Home Depot etc and get some silicone grease from plumbing section of store. It costs about $3.50 for a small container. Drain the water from toilet and wipe it as dry as you can. Then apply some of the silicone grease around the seal. Worked for me. Lot easier than changing ball seal, and the little can of grease lasts a long time, cheaper as well. These seals get out of whack and lubing them with the silicone grease often corrects the problem. DO NOT use an lube that has a petroleum base, it will ruin the seal for sure.
I agree that 'Silicone Grease' from the plumbing section of your local hardware store works great - my RV is 16 years old and the toilet seal is original - 'Silicone Grease' is applied to the seal about once a year.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #53

Freightliner Owners Club
Leaking Toilet

I am a little late to the party, but I did notice lots of good fixes. I did not read all the posts, but I wanted to add that my sister purchased a new 5th wheel a couple years ago. Their toilet leaked nearly from day one. The ended up calling the toilet manufacturer (sorry I don't remember which one) but apparently there were some problems with that particular group of toilets. They shipped my brother-in-law a brand new toilet. Guess what...this one does not leak.

Mine does not leak either. It is a Sealand toilet. I clean the seal every summer when I do my PMs. I have not used silicone grease, just silicone liquid. I might try the grease. Only way water gets out is evaporate!
Turbine Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Muddypaws is right, let it slam shut. I even read that on one site that sells these toilets. I do clean the seal as well as I an, apply silicon grease to the seal and then let the thing slam. About the only time mine leaks is when DW fails to let it slam shut. I do carry a spare seal and water valve just in case. I had a leaky water valve (foot lever) last January and bought an extra valve and a seal then.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #55

Here is how I fixed my leaky bowl. First I gathered my info from irv2 as you have. Then put some silicone grease on the seal but the real key to my successful fix was to gently pull up on the seal with my bare hands in gloves Just bend the seal towards where it has to seal... makes sense right? I did it about a year ago or so...I will have to check..but no leaks since......
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water