Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #1

Door insulation?

I took the inner door off and found that the metal part of the door had lots of gaps 1" deep on the lower portion of the door inside. The question is what would you use to fill that gap ? I have thought of small amounts of insulation paper side to the outside taped in? Or syrafome about 1"thick cut to fit and glued in. Last Question anyone ever done this? I think it will help when trying to keep heat in.

Thanks John
Johnandcara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Funny you ask as I just did this to my unit. I used 1 inch foam from Home Depot cut to fit held in place with alum. 2 inch tape. I also used a can of low expansion foam to fill viods the foam sheet could not be placed in. Worked out nice door is also quieter now and not as cold. I am also insulating many other places in the units basement. Have added 2 4X8 sheets of 1 inch foil faced foam so far using 3M spray glue and al. tape to hold in place. A lot of work but worth it if you stay in real cold or heat.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #3

Thanks Autofish, I wasn't sure anyone had done this. That is a great idea to use the insulation from Home Depot. I let you know how it turns out. Thanks John
Old 01-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Cat

Been thinking of doing the same to my Bounder. Autofish do you have any pictures of the basement after you added the insultion?
Thxs.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Cat sorry no pics. Home Depot also carries a white .060 inch plastic 4x8 sheet that I used for the floor of all compartments. The 3M spray glue works well to hold it down. The foam that I found worked best is the pink stuff HD carries. It worked well to laminate the foam to the plastic then cut the sheet to size with a razor knife or table saw. Finish corners with white silicon caulk. This is a big job but worth it in the end.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
" Inner door off and found that the metal part of the door had ...."
What are you talking about??
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
did it look like this
I sealed all the air holes and added this insulation product to stop the cold leaching in behind me when we are parked.
I was freaked out by the emptiness there was in the Atwood made door on our Damon
spring i plan to remove the foil wrap and add foam blocks inside the door and then reseal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	entry door1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	7489   Click image for larger version

Name:	entry door4.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	7490  

Click image for larger version

Name:	entry door6.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	7491  
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #8

Read my op and What I meant was the gap between the door and the inner plastic door was about 1" deep. This gap felt very cold and I thought what would you use to fill that gap. Autofish stated that he did what I was thinking.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Powerboatr... this is about what my door looks like. Filled the spaes with 1 inch foam sheet where I could then fileld the enlosed area with door and window LOW expanding foam in a can justdon't overfill.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks! Wow I can't believe there is no insulation in the door. Are all of them like that? I would think you would want to be real careful with the foam (even the low expansion) so as not to force the outer fiberglass shell out. How do you know who made your door?
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Thanks! Wow I can't believe there is no insulation in the door. Are all of them like that? I would think you would want to be real careful with the foam (even the low expansion) so as not to force the outer fiberglass shell out. How do you know who made your door?
mine had a tag on the hinge side of the door with serial number....atwood mobile products

i to was AMAZED at no insulation.....you just never know
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #12

I plan on doing that in the spring, for now I just put window plastic around the inside of the door at night I use it with the window double sided tape it comes off when I need to go outside and back on at night, along with a long insulated curtain. It makes a big difference when the wind is blowing. And helps keep the inside of the motorhome warmer. I used weatherstripping around the door but it just pushed the door out more instead of flush. So I will be redoing the door in the spring. Boy this extreme cold weather living is really a test of my stamina. Especially in an old RV. But I'm making it work.
Sunnygrl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #13

I finally got to do the insulation 1" , used spray glue worked perfectly.Thanks for the ideas everyone. Sorry no pictures due to having time. Thanks Again John

Tags
bounder