RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

Double pane wasn't so painful!

Hi Everyone,
I've read about windows manufactured way back when that the seal would fail and then condensate would build up between the pane's. I looked at our crank out bedroom windows to find they about held more moisture than out water tank. I figured what the heck, I cant make any worse if I attempt to reseal.
Here is what I did and it worked perfectly: Note: these windows have three open sides while the top is sandwiched between two aluminum frames and the top was sealed with a rubber sealant.

With a razor I started by cutting out the old sealing tape. It had adhesive on both sides so it was cut twice. I used one of the disposable razor knifes so I could reach out a bit further than a standard razor holder.
I carefully scraped off the adhesive until the glass was clean.
I then sprayed a clean cloth with good ol Windex and slipped in between the glass. spacing between was 3/16".
I installed Viton quad o-ring material ((some call it X ring) cheap. .50 foot) starting from one end and pushing in until 5/16" total depth between the panes. Shaped like a smile in these windows.
I left both ends 1/8" short on both ends just before the aluminum frame.
I readied my black silicone tube and gun.
Now, I have a TIG welder that uses Argon gas.
With a tube I purged gas into the panel on one end while allowing the oxygen to escape out the other. (Argon is inert so it is heavier than oxygen and will fill from the bottom up)
I then applied silicone to the two open end 1/8" gaps followed by running a bead on the entire outside edge of the quad ring completely sealing the glass panels.
It's been a month with every type of weather. hot and sunny, don pour rain for days, back to sunny days. normal cyclic weather to find they remain crystal clear.
The two windows cost me under $25.00 in material, two beers and just a bit of Argon.

May not be everybody's cup of tea, but it worked for me!

Thought I would share.
Travel safe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
Hi Everyone,
I've read about windows manufactured way back when that the seal would fail and then condensate would build up between the pane's. I looked at our crank out bedroom windows to find they about held more moisture than out water tank. I figured what the heck, I cant make any worse if I attempt to reseal.
Here is what I did and it worked perfectly: Note: these windows have three open sides while the top is sandwiched between two aluminum frames and the top was sealed with a rubber sealant.

With a razor I started by cutting out the old sealing tape. It had adhesive on both sides so it was cut twice. I used one of the disposable razor knifes so I could reach out a bit further than a standard razor holder.
I carefully scraped off the adhesive until the glass was clean.
I then sprayed a clean cloth with good ol Windex and slipped in between the glass. spacing between was 3/16".
I installed Viton quad o-ring material ((some call it X ring) cheap. .50 foot) starting from one end and pushing in until 5/16" total depth between the panes. Shaped like a smile in these windows.
I left both ends 1/8" short on both ends just before the aluminum frame.
I readied my black silicone tube and gun.
Now, I have a TIG welder that uses Argon gas.
With a tube I purged gas into the panel on one end while allowing the oxygen to escape out the other. (Argon is inert so it is heavier than oxygen and will fill from the bottom up)
I then applied silicone to the two open end 1/8" gaps followed by running a bead on the entire outside edge of the quad ring completely sealing the glass panels.
It's been a month with every type of weather. hot and sunny, don pour rain for days, back to sunny days. normal cyclic weather to find they remain crystal clear.
The two windows cost me under $25.00 in material, two beers and just a bit of Argon.

May not be everybody's cup of tea, but it worked for me!

Thought I would share.
Travel safe
Hi,
It looks like you did a pretty good job for someone that took the initiative and just went for it.
I have been involved in manufacturing/selling/installing, these insulated glass units, which go by several different names.
Your fix could last 6 months or 6 years.
If you take a close look at the inside sides of the 2 lites (panes) of glass, you will still see staining. This was caused when the original seal failed allowing moisture to form on the inside sides of the glass. No matter how much you cleaned the glass (Windex ??? Ouch!), staining will persist. Future cleaning, if you ever do this again, is to use only vinegar and water as windex will remain (no matter how much you try to remove it). Allow it to dry completely before sealing. Your use of the argon is great! The argon will remain in the unit for sometime (1-2 years), but will eventually permeate through the silicone. This is not the end of your unit, when the argon dissipates. It could still function for sometime after, without showing any moisture between the glass.
If you have access to a drying agent desiccant like silica gel, (usually found in small pouches that has been placed in packaging from overseas, to absorb moisture), it can be removed from these pouches and placed or added along the bottom edge of the spacer that separates the two lites of glass, when you are reassembling your unit. The added desiccant will prolong the life of your unit, by absorbing any moisture that permeates the silicone seal. I would just add enough to cover 25% of the bottom edge. It may move around a bit, but it will still perform as was intended. But -- that's for next time, right?

All in all, you have done a fine job!!!

Murphcrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #3

Well, that is some great info. These windows were so bad that you could have grown tomatoes like a greenhouse. The moisture was enough that you could not see through the glass.
I thought about using desiccant but didn't want to see it. If I get three to four years out of it then I'm okay with that. Really wasn't that major a project so doing it again will be a beer or two and some radio tunes.

Thanks for your knowledge sharing!
Old 06-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #4

pics would be great as im about to do the same thing after the holiday week.