Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Electric fireplace

I have a 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35K, it has an electric fireplace. The fireplace was working great and we like it very much. But then for some reason it has stopped heating. We were out for three days and the first night I had a little trouble with it but it then started working. It has a little remote control and I was thinking it might be bad but after changing the battery and still nothing I tried to use the manual controls and all would work except the one that is labeled heat. I ended up calling REV and I believe they are going to send me another one. It is very easy to remove, just four screws and unplug the cord. So Maybe I won't have to go to the dealer and spend another month getting it repaired. Not counting that every time I go to the dealer is is 120 miles of driving and two days lost. The factory said they don't repair them they just replace.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #2

Is the temperature set high enough? It cycles on a thermostat. Also, every time you disconnect power the heater function reverts to "off."
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy View Post
I have a 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35K, it has an electric fireplace. The fireplace was working great and we like it very much. But then for some reason it has stopped heating. We were out for three days and the first night I had a little trouble with it but it then started working. It has a little remote control and I was thinking it might be bad but after changing the battery and still nothing I tried to use the manual controls and all would work except the one that is labeled heat. I ended up calling REV and I believe they are going to send me another one. It is very easy to remove, just four screws and unplug the cord. So Maybe I won't have to go to the dealer and spend another month getting it repaired. Not counting that every time I go to the dealer is is 120 miles of driving and two days lost. The factory said they don't repair them they just replace.
Not sure if this is the same one as on our 2016 Fleetwood Bounder. Ours had a curved front. Before the warranty ran out the fireplace quite working on the HH setting which I believe is the 1500 watt setting. It worked fine on the LL or 750 watt setting. No attempt was made to repair it either. The dealer just had it replaced. Hasn't given us any problems since. The units are made in China and I think retail for under $200.
Bshevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes I know that the heat goes off when ever you disconnect and then reconnect. But my problem is that I cannot get the heat to come on even when I push the button that is labeled heat, and where you can choose between low and high. also the remote does not work, I did replace the battery. I was able to get it to come on one day by playing with the remote and kept pushing the heat button many times. But the next day I could not get it to come on. I called REV and they said they were going to send me another fireplace. It is very easy to change out, just four screws and disconnect the electric plug. I just hope I get the fireplace soon for it is very nice on the cool mornings.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #5

Is it a Dimplex? If so there is a reset on the lower left corner. On mine you turn off the switch for 5 min and it resets the unit. Throwing breaker doesn’t reset it just the switch.
After warranty don’t replace the whole thing. The heater and blower are available on eBay for $25 or so.

Good luck
Pointrow
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOu have a Suspect list when things like this happen.
Suspect one is not the Fireplacem nor the Remote but the Infra Red Link between them. Some types of lighting (Florescent for example) can "intefear" with I/R remote commands. I used to have a sensor in the basement of my house (Tied to an emitter in the bedroom in front of a VCR ) It would flash a visible LED when it picked up I/R commands. .THe Desk lamp drove it crazy if I did not angle it away from the sensor.

Suspect 2 is the Remote, but you replaced the battery

Suspect 3 (NOTE this is not necessarly in suspect order so much as line order) is the Electronics in the fire place

3B (part of the electronics) is a RELAY on that control board

And hte Prime Suspect: the heat element.

Easiest way to test if you can get at it is to hook a light across the heat element and see if the light goes on and off under Remote. if it does but no heat, .. Well in Detroit, and I assume other cities. if you take 'em a heat element that's toast. they will rebuild it for you. Slight charge.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
The factory said they don't repair them they just replace.
I'm not sure that would be very good selling point for them but then this is a disposable world anymore. My son had a fireplace insert in his 5th wheel that quit working. When I took it apart I found out that the remote for this fireplace was the problem. Luckily his trailer did not catch on fire and burn up or something even worse! I'm not sure I would trust them with a remote.

Here is a picture of what I found, not good for sure!
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3828.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	196681
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:08 AM   #8

WOW! I've read many bad comments about those electric fireplaces. What you see is the results of 15+ DC amps to metallic ground creating a 1500 watt plus DEAD SHORT. NOT GOOD!

Tags
ace, electric, fire, replace