RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #1

electric hook-up

the 50 amp cable hook up on my '08 southwind is difficult to get to. it sets in the back of the compartment at the rear of the coach. it is placed in a narrow compartment to the right of the utility compartment.

my question is: has anyone made a modification to this hook up to where it is easier to hook up to shore power....it is positioned in such a way that I can't see (visually) the plug when I try to hook it up, it's a touch and feel process. i feel that sometimes i can't get a snug secure fit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:16 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Build you an extension just long enough to reach where you can see what you are doing when you plug into shore power and then unplug your main cord when you get ready and leave the extension cord plugged in and leave it right where it is and you are ready to go at your next stop.
Jerry

jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you considered hard wiring it? Maybe also would be a good time to add a power guard. I'm just curious, once its plugged in, why unplug it? My 50 amp cord is hard wired but I did add a Progressive Industries protection.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, I'm not sure is this a MARINECO connector Yellow, usually, twist lock thing with a locking ring) or is it a hard wired cord?

I"d get a 50 amp plug and socket, If it's a Marineco connector in a compartment plug it in, bring the cord out near the compartment door and cut it (Hacksaw works, or cut off saw)

Now unplug the marineco connector and put something like a CAMCO Power Pull plug on the cut end of the cord

On the other cut end put a standard 50 amp outlet, and a strap so you can pull plug and socket apart

Now, you have a plug & socket, out of the weather (inside the compartment) where you can easily reach it

If you have a hard wired cord.... Same procedure save for references to the Marineco connector
Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
lp5151,

I know just what you're talking about. Our Bounder is the same way. That stupid compartment is only a few inches wide with a hole in the bottom for the powercord, stored in another compartment, to feed into the plug on the coach.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm looking for a 1ft 50a extension cord (I've seen a 30a one on RVUpgrades, but not a 50a). That'd be enough to get me from the plug in the coach out the bottom hole of that compartment where I could then attach my big cord to. Then, when done, I could just unplug my big cord from the extension, shove the extension up into the compartment & set the hole cover over the compartment hole.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
lp5151,

I know just what you're talking about. Our Bounder is the same way. That stupid compartment is only a few inches wide with a hole in the bottom for the powercord, stored in another compartment, to feed into the plug on the coach.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm looking for a 1ft 50a extension cord (I've seen a 30a one on RVUpgrades, but not a 50a). That'd be enough to get me from the plug in the coach out the bottom hole of that compartment where I could then attach my big cord to. Then, when done, I could just unplug my big cord from the extension, shove the extension up into the compartment & set the hole cover over the compartment hole.

Lori-
Lori, exactly my problem....i'll look into your solution, which sounds simple and should work......... I'll try to find the pig tail (extension) i need and you are looking for. great idea .

thanks, lp5151
Old 07-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never seen a 1' 50 amp cord.. But re-read my earlier coach (It's nice that I now knwo just what you are talking about)

Simply get a plug, and an outlet and cut the current cord, add plug to the Rig end, and outlet to park end, and there you are.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Building a 1-2 ft foot cord is not difficult and the connectors are available at many RV stores or online sales. Just cut a couple feet off your existing cord and add male and female connectors.

The idiotic tings that RV builders do never cease to amaze me...

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote