Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Electrical Nightmare!

Hello. I have a 2008 Excursion 40X. Today I cleaned and watered the 4 pack of 6volt house batteries. Don't no if it was before or after doing so, but I noticed that ALL lights in coach are dim, fans blow slow, can't start Generator, lowering jacks don't operate. Control panel shows low voltage when trying to use lowering jack operation. With 30Amp. shore nothing seems to work! AC, Furnace etc. the house batteries read 6volts plus and 13 plus overall. the inverter reads about 14.2 volts. please HELP
Much Thanks Glider
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It sounds like you might have a bad connection or a wrong connection. I'd carefully check each cable and make sure it's hooked up correctly. Since you have four 6 volt batteries, you should have a pair of two 6 volt batteries wired in series you give 12 volts for each pair. Unhook one pair, measure voltage, then disconnect that pair and check the voltage of the other pair. If it all checks out, then check the ground connections.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Assuming you are NOT on shore power
(If you are Bad converter tops the list, or tripped breaker or unplugged converter)
Low batteries, If they were "Dry" (exposed plates) this one is likely
Bad connection

Suggestion, Start main engine, one minute later after isolator closes, Start generator, once ATS clunks shut off main engine,, Run genny six hours.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #4

FWIW adding water effectively lowers the charge by diluting the electrolyte. That is why the advice is to add water to a fully charged system. I'd let it charge overnight and see what happened.

After it sat overnight to charge I would try the lights and if they looked dim check two places. Set up to read the voltage at the battery then one of the light sockets or an accessory socket and maybe again at the battery as fast as you can get from one to the other. If there is more than 0.1 VDC difference I would be looking at connections. If the battery sags noticeably while taking those readings it is the batteries.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to you all for your input. I found that I had a battery cable installed improperly. Corrected it, and now all is good.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #6
YC1

Always take a picture before taking apart. Print the picture and take some voltage measurements for future reference. Write the information on the printed picture and then scan it. Keep the picture where it is convenient,.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes YCI, I normally do that. Just slipped my mind this time. Thanks
Old 11-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #8

My MH has only two batteries (6V.) in the compartment. The batteries sit in an aluminum box. I drew a diagram on the inside of the box with a magic marker of the terminal and cable arrangement. Saves mishaps.
I also have a picture I took and printed off I carry in the folder with all the books and manuals.
Lynn

Tags
electrical