Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Electrical Problems

I have a 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35K
I have been having battery charging problems. I suspected it was the Auxillary start solenoid, for when I was hooked to the power pole it only showed the house batteries being charged. Well this morning I thought I would go into the Battery control box and check voltages on each side of the solenoid. But when I got to the MH the engine battery was down to 6.1 volts. I had the main disconnect switch turned off and I know it was off because the steps were still out. So I went in and pushed the auxillary start switch and it worked and started. The last time it did this the switch would not work. So while the engine was running it showed 14.1 volts on both banks of batterys , house and engine. So then I let engine run for about 1/2 hour and shut off. I then started the generator and checked the voltages again and they were both a little over 13 volts. So I then went and hooked up the cable to the electrical box again and checked to see what the voltages were. It showed both to be 12.9. Nothing was on in the motor home. On my Magum display it showed the batteries to be in float charge and 12.9. I would think with a low engine battery it should be charging more than that. I also notice that it seems to be in float most of the time. Where before it would show other charging types. Can you tell me if your magum shows float most of the time and what kind of voltages you have. I put it on this forum because the Bounder and the Vacationer are identical . Thank you very much.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #2

Your isolation/charging solenoid needs a higher voltage to actavate. Often above 13.4 volts.

You either have a low float voltage setting or a bad battery temperature sensor on the Magnum.
If the sensor is open or shorted, it cause the inverter/charger to change the float voltage. A quick test is to unplug the sensor at the inverter/charger and see if thing get better.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Twinboat I just went out to the MH and checked the voltages again and both house and engine showed 13.1 and the magnum, display showed float.

what would the temp sensor at the inverter charger look like. It it located on the outside of the case or inside. What is strange is that now everything seems to be working again . Before the aux start switch would not work and now it is normal. I thought maybe the aux start solenoid might have stuck and somehow now was working. Thanks for your help. This motor home sure test this old mind.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #4

The temp sensor is a little box bolted, or glued, on or near one of the battery terminals. The other end of the wire ends with a telephone type jack that plugs into the inverter/ charger.

Name:   020-06373-2T.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  9.6 KB
Old 06-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Twinboat I talked to tech at Magnum and he said with temp at 90 degrees that 13.1 would be correct voltage.
Are they a way I can increase the float voltage?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #6

Float voltage is adjustable somewhere in the Magnum remote instructions.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Still got the problem

2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35K

Yesterday I went to the MH in the morning and everything seemed to be working OK. Went out again at 730 pm and it was not charging the engine battery. So I turned the main switch disconnect to engine battery off. Went out again this morning and the engine battery was run down again 6+ volts. I started with emergency start switch and let motor run, both engine battery and House batteries were being recharged. What could run the engine battery down if switch is OFF?

I got troubleshoot guide from Rev and in it it says that the pull-in voltage for the solenoid is 13.2 volts. And my magnum display shows that I only have a float voltage or 13.1 volts. How can I raise the float voltage? I also removed the temp sensor from the inverter to see what would happen and the voltage did go up a little. Maybe the voltage is just not high enough all the time. Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #8

On mine under settings you can change every one of the three stages, made slight changes for the AGM batteries
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
changes

On the Magnum display that is on the 2017 Vacationer I have I see no way to change any voltage settings. I have seen the type of Magnum remotes that have a knob you can turn to make different settings but on mine there is just treee buttons, no knob. I wish it was different.

Tags
electric, electrical, ems, problem, problems