RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #15

Yes, it does sound like your converter is shot. My symtoms were that the lights would brighten and then slowly dim, brighten, dim, etc. I would also notice that the fan on the converter (ours is in the bedroom where I could easily hear it) would seem to run on an hourly basis at times and then go silent for long periods. In the past I would notice it once a day or so.

One night while boondocked, our batteries went toast (8.5 amps). I was able to boast them by running the engine twice a day. We were headed into Glacier NP at the time and no Trogan dealer anywhere near. We survived 16 nights in Glacier (3 CG's) without hookups. I would run the engine as needed. When we got to Missoula, I pulled the house bat's and picked up new ones at a Trogan dealer there.

I kept a close eye on the battery voltages and it did not take long to see that they were not being kept fully charged. So we kept using the engine as needed (but we were moving fairly often and that was close to enough). We were headed to the RGV to visit friends, so I ordered a Progressive PD9280 converter and made the swap there. That was a year ago November and we have had zero problems since. The PD9280 has a 20 amp plug (one prong is sideways), so I had to swap the outlet as well. A lot of people go with the PD9260 or 9270 which are both good and have a normal plug.

One word of caution, the WFCO did not just outright fail. It would sometimes work (13.6 VDC or so) and other times not. After I pulled it, I plugged it into a galley outlet and read 13.6 VDC and thought oh $hit. But as mentioned, since making the swap (15 months ago) all has been well. You might just want to go ahead and order a Progressive converter, there are lots of folks that have had problems with the WFCO's. Some folks just make the swap before they start having problems.

Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #16

Thanks so much! I tries to run the heater using the EMS panel and it wouldn't work. The panel just slowly went blank. So I am now going to: 1. Check the house battery voltages 2. Unhook them for a few minutes 3. Plug into 50 amp shore (which I also have available at my home in addition to 30 amp). If the voltages are low then I am pretty sure the converter is not charging them? If the EMS resets after unhooking the house batteries and using 50 amp shore I should be able to run A/C and heater? I will let you know what happens.

Big Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #17

Eddie,

Sounds like a plan. Check the house battery voltage prior to making the move, the drive should bring them all the way back up (a very good thing). Then if they slowly lose charge while plugged in at home, then it is a very safe bet the converter is shot. As soon as you get home, check some of your 12 volt systems, furnance, fans, water pump, etc. If they are all back to normal they get a Progressive converter, any PD..60, 70 or 80 will do the job and they are reputed to be the best (or lots of us think so).

With luck that will cure lots of the problems you are having and the 50 amps will reset the EMS system. Keep us posted, there is always the risk of a loose connection somewhere muddling the mix.

Bob
Old 01-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #18

Checked the house batteries, they were at 6.4 with engine running and no shore power, 5.93 w/o engine and shore, 5.63 after I plugged into 50 amp shore. So I think the batteries are losing charge. Got some fuel and ran the generator. Then disconnected the house batteries to see if the EMS would reset. It did not. Plugged into 50amp service and the EMS panel keeps switching back and forth between 30 and 50 amps and the load lights just keep flashing. So....still confused as to what is causing the EMS panel not able to function.
Wow.
Big Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #19

Eddie,

Those battery numbers are way low. I would forget the EMS problem untill you resolve the house battery issue. The EMS does use the 12 volt system to help make its decisions. Also, looks like your batteries are dropping while plugged in so its a safe bet if all connections are good, clean and tight that your converter is shot.

When we are on shore power I never see anything less than appx. 13.2, and that is when the converter is in its 'storage mode', 13.6 is when its in normal mode. Those voltages under 6 are saying your batteries are close to dead. When boondocked, I don't let ours get below 12.2 vdc. When you go under 6 volts on one, it is over 50% discharged. Yours are closer to being 'almost dead'. Discharging batteries over 80% will do a number on them.

Heres a link to a Trogan document that has the volts and percent discharge chart (table 5) in it:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJ...UsersGuide.pdf

Bob