RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

EMS issue

When I am hooked up to shore power (30 amps) the 110v plugs all work fine but I have no overhead lights, the batteries aren't charging, the EMS panel is dead, the battery status panel shows main battery power but the aux is blank. The vehicle won't start, even tried to use the aux battery switch. I checked the 5 amp fuse for the EMS panel and it was OK. Both 50 amp breakers seem good. Everything used to work just fine. I am wondering if while it was plugged in if I had a brown out (I live in the high desert and this happens all the time) and it tripped a fuse somewhere? Or even worse, is my converter the problem?

Big Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Eddie View Post
When I am hooked up to shore power (30 amps) the 110v plugs all work fine but I have no overhead lights, the batteries aren't charging, the EMS panel is dead, the battery status panel shows main battery power but the aux is blank. The vehicle won't start, even tried to use the aux battery switch. I checked the 5 amp fuse for the EMS panel and it was OK. Both 50 amp breakers seem good. Everything used to work just fine. I am wondering if while it was plugged in if I had a brown out (I live in the high desert and this happens all the time) and it tripped a fuse somewhere? Or even worse, is my converter the problem?
Hey Big Eddie,

I would first get the generator jump started and check all of the items that didn't work. If they work now then your batteries could need replacement. Let us know if this helps.

2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Very strange - apparently no 12v power at all and batteries dead as well as converter out. Did you check right at the house batteries with a voltmeter to see if they (a) have power and (b) are charging? Your converter may be charging even if the lights aren't on in the panel. Can you measure and 120v power to the converter (or is it an inverter/charger?)?

Doubly strange that the engine won't start, since you say the main battery power is ok (Aux should be the house 12v system, not the engine).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #4

Thanks for your help. Found the main (engine) battery was bad. I replaced it and all seems normal now except the EMS panel is flashing zero amps and 36 amps. I cycled the main breakers, uninstalled/reinstalled the 5 amp fuse for the EMS panel, disconnected/reconnected the 30 amp shore power. I was hearing clicking of circuits at first but not anymore. The green LED lights are steady on. Is this hurting anything? Is it trying to reboot? I did not get an EMS manual with the RV when I purchased it. Are they available? How do you reboot it?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Eddie
Thanks for your help. Found the main (engine) battery was bad. I replaced it and all seems normal now except the EMS panel is flashing zero amps and 36 amps. I cycled the main breakers, uninstalled/reinstalled the 5 amp fuse for the EMS panel, disconnected/reconnected the 30 amp shore power. I was hearing clicking of circuits at first but not anymore. The green LED lights are steady on. Is this hurting anything? Is it trying to reboot? I did not get an EMS manual with the RV when I purchased it. Are they available? How do you reboot it?
Here is a link to the service manual. Hope it's the right one. http://intellitec.com/PDF/5300549.100.pdf

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I did not get an EMS manual with the RV when I purchased it. Are they available? How do you reboot it?
It would help to know what coach, year & model, and any other pertinent information about the system model itself before attempting to help you or supply you with the correct manual.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film

It would help to know what coach, year & model, and any other pertinent information about the system model itself before attempting to help you or supply you with the correct manual.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I thought the same and checked his profile which shows a 2008 36' FW Fiesta.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
I would still suggest the 6 volt batteries be checked under load.
They are the power source for your 12 volt system while not plugged into AC outlet.
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #9

OK, will do.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #10

Thanks but I have the 50 amp EMS panel. If you have the link to that I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Eddie
Thanks but I have the 50 amp EMS panel. If you have the link to that I would greatly appreciate it!
Try this one. Google is a wonderful tool. http://intellitec.com/PDF/5300684.200.pdf

Old 01-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
We also had a similiar problem with our EMS, we had been in a low voltage situation for over a week. We do use a PD-PT50C, but the voltage was over the 105 min, but not by much.

The EMS had shed both our hot water heater and refer, it had stored a corrupt value for them that exceeded the available 30 amps. That might be the 36 you see flashing and the EMS is waiting for it to drop under 30 before restoring power to the shed devices. All in your case.

We simply went to a different location and plugged into a good 50 amp outlet. If you check the link Cliff provided, it will tell you that when it senses 240 volts (50 amp service) that the EMS goes inactive, it also clears the stored values for the devices under its control. It will also tell you how to check the stored values, if the stored value for the first shed device is over 30 that could be your EMS problem. You might also be able to clear them by unhooking your house batteries for a couple of minutes. You might get lucky.

But none of that will help with your 12 VDC problem, which could be causing the EMS problem as well (the EMS does not like low voltage). We have already replaced our house batteries and converter (the WFCO was a piece of $hit). So if you have the original converter and house batteries, you might need to check them.

Bob
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #13

I had to replace the house batteries shortly after purchasing the RV. So they are two years old. Since I replaced the main battery everything seemed to return to normal. The EMS panel has quit blinking between zero and 36 amps. But now the house batteries don't seem to be getting charged from the converter. How do I check to see if they are? I am starting to think that I have a bad converter (also a WFCO).
Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #14

I went out this morning to check the EMS panel and it was not reading anything! How can this be? I am plugged into 30 amp shore power. I turned on an overhead light and it barely lit. So I started the vehicle. Then the EMS panel came on and showed zero amps (which is correct because I have nothing on). I am basically plugged in so the converter will trickle charge the house batteries and so that I have interior lights. So it seems to me that the converter is NOT charging the house batteries. ???? I am totally confused.