Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #1

Engine Battery Not Charging

It appears that my engine start battery is not charging when plugged into 120 power or on the generator. The coach batteries are charging OK. Voltage at the battery today was 12.08 when plugged in or running off the generator. The engine started fine and the alternator is charging just fine. The battery is full of water and tests OK after a charge. The RV has been sitting for about 2 weeks without running the engine, but it has been plugged in or on the generator the entire time. The generator has been run for a couple of hours almost every other day. It was told to me that the converter/charger charges both the coach batteries and the engine battery when plugged in or on the generator. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? 1999 Bounder 34J on a Ford chassis with V10 engine. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many older MH's don't charge the chassis battery when plugged in or on the generator. Mine doesn't and it's a 2006. The chassis battery only charges by the engine alternator. You can install a Trik-L-Start (I think that's what it's called) between the chassis battery and house batteries for charging. I installed a trickle charger from Walmart on the chassis battery and plugged it into a nearby 120V outlet. My outlet is powered by shore, generator or inverter power.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #3

If this coach is new to you, and it was a salesman who told you the chassis battery would charge from shore power; then I'd assume he guessed or lied.
Before you spend too much time trying to troubleshoot a charging system that may not exist on your coach, you'll need to talk to the owner of the EXACT same unit , to see if his battery charges; or , maybe a call to Fleetwood is in order.
As Rockwood 27 says , coach age , isn't a determining factor on the battery charging system, many newer coaches , even some DP's come from the factory without it, it's a case of the manufacturer saving a few $$$, by not putting it in.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
It appears that my engine start battery is not charging when plugged into 120 power or on the generator. The coach batteries are charging OK. Voltage at the battery today was 12.08 when plugged in or running off the generator. The engine started fine and the alternator is charging just fine. The battery is full of water and tests OK after a charge. The RV has been sitting for about 2 weeks without running the engine, but it has been plugged in or on the generator the entire time. The generator has been run for a couple of hours almost every other day. It was told to me that the converter/charger charges both the coach batteries and the engine battery when plugged in or on the generator. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? 1999 Bounder 34J on a Ford chassis with V10 engine. Chuck
Sorry to here of your problem, Chuck. Many coaches have a relay that acts as the aux start/charging relay. Yours may be bad. I am not familiar with your chassis so I don't know where to look. If you can follow the battery leads, house or start, you should find the relay. These things are common and most auto parts stores can find a replacement for you.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 08-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If this coach is new to you, and it was a salesman who told you the chassis battery would charge from shore power; then I'd assume he guessed or lied.
Before you spend too much time trying to troubleshoot a charging system that may not exist on your coach, you'll need to talk to the owner of the EXACT same unit , to see if his battery charges; or , maybe a call to Fleetwood is in order.
As Rockwood 27 says , coach age , isn't a determining factor on the battery charging system, many newer coaches , even some DP's come from the factory without it, it's a case of the manufacturer saving a few $$$, by not putting it in.
This info came from the previous owner. I don't have their contact anymore. I was hoping to work on it this weekend but may have to wait until Monday and contact Fleetwood. Chuck
Old 08-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
A charged battery should not read less than 12.4 volts. Your battery read 12.08, it is sulfated.

When connected to shore power, genset or alternator, your battery should read no less than the charging output of the device it is connected to.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
A charged battery should not read less than 12.4 volts. Your battery read 12.08, it is sulfated.

When connected to shore power, genset or alternator, your battery should read no less than the charging output of the device it is connected to.
Not necessarily. The battery has been sitting for two weeks and has discharged some. I charged it with the engine running, let it sit for 24 hours and put a load test on it. It tested fine. It's going to slowly discharge over time if not connected to any charging sources. If it were connected to a charging source when I checked the voltage and got 12.08, it would read whatever the charging source is putting out and not 12.08volts. So the question is not about the battery, but rather, should something be charging the battery when connected to 120 volts or on the generator. If it should, what might I look for as to the problem? Chuck
Old 08-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #8

Agreed, We Said The Same thing in different ways. One problem is that with many bird systems, the isolator relay will not join the banks for charging at all if the voltage is less than 12.3 or 12.4. Charge the battery above 12.4, then check for a charging voltage. If still no joy, I would suspect the isolator relay.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Agreed, We Said The Same thing in different ways. One problem is that with many bird systems, the isolator relay will not join the banks for charging at all if the voltage is less than 12.3 or 12.4. Charge the battery above 12.4, then check for a charging voltage. If still no joy, I would suspect the isolator relay.
That's not the same thing. You said his battery was bad !

Now your saying it won't charge if it's low. That's wrong. What good is a system that doesn't charge a low battery. Once one battery is being charged by it's charging source, whether charger or engine, to a set voltage, a BIRD system sends the charging current to the other battery.

Then you are suspecting a bad isolator relay ( BIRD ) that he may not even have. I have a 1999 Class C. There is no provision to charge the engine battery except the engine mounted alternator. I have added a Bi Directional relay.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

Check for the fuse between the coach batteries and the chassis.
Although I don't have a Bounder, our Icon has a similar problem. Turned out that the 150A AMG fuse, under the drivers seat, went jiggly/funky. It was replaced and all is good.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #11

The alternator charged it up to around 13.5 at float and the charge held, down to 12.75 after it came off the alternator charge. Still no joy on any charging from the charger/converter. It should be reading a float charge of about 13.8 volts, which the coach bank does. I disconnected it to let it sit and then do a load test. At 12.08, I'm surprised it started the engine with no problem. The parallel switch isn't automatic, you must engage the switch. Chuck
Old 08-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did it ever charge the engine battery to your knowledge?

Not all RV's charge the engine battery from the house side.

My Monaco does NOT charge the engine battery by design and that's how I like it.

I don't want the chassis and house electrical system tied together.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #13

I have a 1998 Fleetwood Southwind on a GM gas chassis. While mine is not identical to your Bounder, it is from the same era, and from the same company. I am quite sure that mine does not charge the chassis battery while plugged into shore power.

I read your thread in the Class A forum. I agree with the poster there, who said that the salesman was either BSing you or didn't have a clue. I believe that the electrical system typically used in Fleetwood gas motorhomes of that era did not have that function.

Mine does have the small solar panel on top of the front AC unit. The indicator light comes on, but I don't know which battery bank it charges. On another thread, there was a suggestion that it may be the chassis battery. I need to do some investigating to confirm.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Did it ever charge the engine battery to your knowledge?

Not all RV's charge the engine battery from the house side.

My Monaco does NOT charge the engine battery by design and that's how I like it.

I don't want the chassis and house electrical system tied together.
That I don't know since I'm just getting into the electrical system. I would prefer that the charger be able to handle both the engine and coach batteries. For now, the RV sits while we're getting it ready to use. I don't want to have to run the engine to charge the batteries right now. We do occasionally take it our for a drive to turn the wheels over. Once we get to use it, I won't care. And I would especially like for everything to work if it's set up that way. The previous owner would have had no reason to tell me both should be charging if that was not the case and he was the original owner. Chuck

Tags
battery, charging, engine