Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #1

Excursion battery locations and problems?

I am very seriously considering trading my Class C for an Excursion 33D with a home refrigerator, however the inaccessibility of the fridge batteries may be a deal breaker. One of the two batteries is mounted far inside the rig with almost no clearance above.

How do you check the water levels and replenish when needed?

arne
arneinfloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #2

Wow, that bites. Ours have their own compartment and are easy to check/fill. You could install a watering system: Battery Watering Technologies - Watering systems for battery maintenance
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #3

+1 on battery watering system.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I had to replace my house batteries, did ton's of research, and settled for AGM's. Battery water problem solved--never have to check or add water to AGM's, and as long as the charging system can accommodate them (different charging profiles), my conclusion is that AGM's are better all around. So if it's almost a deal-breaker for you, make it a condition of the sale that they swap out the wet cells for AGM's. I think you'll love that idea.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I had to replace my house batteries, did ton's of research, and settled for AGM's. Battery water problem solved--never have to check or add water to AGM's, and as long as the charging system can accommodate them (different charging profiles), my conclusion is that AGM's are better all around. So if it's almost a deal-breaker for you, make it a condition of the sale that they swap out the wet cells for AGM's. I think you'll love that idea.
X2 re AGMs. I just like less maintenance. Cost was not a factor in my decision.

In the OPs case where batteries are not readilly accessible to check electrolyte levels, this is a no brainer IMHO.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I'm fighting this very problem right now with our Excursion. The batteries are impossible to get to. I'm having a watering system installed next week. Will replace with AGM's when I hit the lottery.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
What brand did you get and did you have any charging problems with them?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
What brand did you get and did you have any charging problems with them?
I purchased Fullriver AGM's from DCbatterie.com. I have a Magnum inverter and verified with Magnum and Fullriver that one of the two AGM charging profiles avail on my inverter/charger would work. It works great and takes a big load off my mind.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I purchased Fullriver AGM's from DCbatterie.com. I have a Magnum inverter and verified with Magnum and Fullriver that one of the two AGM charging profiles avail on my inverter/charger would work. It works great and takes a big load off my mind.
I too have a Magnum Inverter. Did you replace all 6 house batteries and the two chassis batteries? And if so, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you? I might just go ahead and bite the bullet and replace our current ones with these instead of a watering system (maybe).
Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Debbie. I only replaced my house batteries with AGMs. My situation was a rather fortunate one. I bought a brand new Rv after it sat on a dealer lot for a year. They failed to maintain the house batteries and I discovered this after a month if ownership. The dealer fessed up and reimbursed me for the cost to replace them.

If you consider replacing yours, and upgrading to AGMS, it's an all or none proposal. You need to have all house batteries to be the same type (AGMS or wet cells) because they require different charging profiles. If you have some if each type in your bank, some will be receiving an inappropriate charging profile and will die.

I got what I believe to be an excellent deal. I paid $1600 for six 6v AGM's. There are other fantastic brands out there and if you do a search on this fine for "AGM" you will find to a of opinions and info.

Finally--since the engine batteries have a different job to do than the house batteries, I don't know if AGMs are a good choice. Better research that one if yours need to be replaced.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
AGM's are ok for your chassis batteries. Our Providence came with AGM on a Spartan chassis. However you may want to contact FL.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I did talk to Fleetwood yesterday. They said they would not recommend changing anything on the coach that was not "standard" ... and that I should get a watering system for the batteries. Fleetwood acknowledged that checking the water in the batteries in a 2014 Excursion was a "challenge". It's not a challenge, I think it is damn near impossible - other Excursion owners jump in here if I'm missing something! Fleetwood also wouldn't recommend adding the Safe T Plus because it was not "standard" - well .. it sure does help.

So, you are saying that AGM's for the house batteries is not a good idea? And if it isn't a good idea, why not? Thanks
Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #13

DebbieMH

IMHO, Fleetwood is in CYA mode. I suspect they do not put AGMs in even though the design of the storage space severly restricts access is because of cost.

Why would anyone suggest any other option? Especially where battery accessability is tight.

If your charger (and pocketbook) will handle AGMs I strongly recommend you go that way.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Indeed, when I was considering replacing my house batteries, I called Fleetwood too and the guy I spoke to said they chose wet cells because they prefer them. It was less clear the reason when I asked. He claimed that AGMs were more susceptible to dying it they are ever left to drain completely. There may be some truth to that but wet cells also take a big hit if allowed to drain completely. Besides, I have an auto start genie or shore power to prevent that... Notice that I chose AGM's.

I first made sure that my charger was compatible with the exact batteries I was considering purchasing. I emailed both Magnum (charger/inverter) and the battery company and got verification from both that they were compatible. My charger has two AGM charging profiles--AGM1 and AGM2. I was advised to select AGM2. It works great, and other than to show off my shiny new blue batteries to a friend, or to admire my custom install work (had to modify tie-downs), I really never need to get into the battery bay any more. Love them!

Tags
battery, cat