RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Fill Tank by pass valve.

I have a 2006 36Z, the Fill Tank valve is leaking very badly. I have contacted Fleetwood they are no help. I asked them for the manufacturer name of the valve and/or part number. All they said is that it's no longer made. They either chose not to look in their archives for an "as built" drawing or don't archive that stuff. If I had the name and part number I gotta believe that somewhere, sitting on a shelf, in a back room there is one. This is NOT a ball valve, as I understand it, when the valve is moved from one position to the other a cylinder is turned inside that moves a hole to the water flow and routes it to the tank.

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_061857.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	229644[/ATTACH]

I've attached two photo's but I'm not sure they reproduced.

All I'm looking for is the Manufacturer of the valve and Part number. Also, if anyone has replaced it let me know how you did it. The valve is mounted in such a way that the entire water valve panel must be removed to access it, major work.

Any information regarding this is appreciated and thank you for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_061831.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	229643  

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
I have a 2006 36Z, the Fill Tank valve is leaking very badly. I have contacted Fleetwood they are no help. I asked them for the manufacturer name of the valve and/or part number. All they said is that it's no longer made. They either chose not to look in their archives for an "as built" drawing or don't archive that stuff. If I had the name and part number I gotta believe that somewhere, sitting on a shelf, in a back room there is one. This is NOT a ball valve, as I understand it, when the valve is moved from one position to the other a cylinder is turned inside that moves a hole to the water flow and routes it to the tank.

[ATTACH]Attachment 229644[/ATTACH]

I've attached two photo's but I'm not sure they reproduced.

All I'm looking for is the Manufacturer of the valve and Part number. Also, if anyone has replaced it let me know how you did it. The valve is mounted in such a way that the entire water valve panel must be removed to access it, major work.

Any information regarding this is appreciated and thank you for your time.
Have you tried rv salvage yards
Sometimes they have what you need and is no longer for sale

Cacique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TinCup,

Why not do what you have to do - pull off the cover panel and inspect the part needed. Though you may not be able to track down the exact part due to age you will be able to pull up available valves on the internet or visit your local rv store, compare them, buy the replacement and put it all back together. Problem solved.

Easy peasy - Ricahrd
Old 12-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
July of this year I watched a RV tech fix a valve like yours by installing new "O" rings. He suggested it is an on going problem in many RVs.

Richard
3 Years Wheel & Track Mechanic US Army. 11 Years Automotive Mechanic. 12 Years Operating Engineer Interstate Brands. 3 Years Job Shop Machinist. 11 Years Chief Engineer INX International. 10 Years RV Mobil Repair Owner operator.
RLS7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #5

RLS7201, you wouldn't happen to know what the manufacturer of the valve is would you? Or, what it's called? The name or contact of the guy that did the repair?

I have heard that's the easiest way to repair it, apparently there are small O rings that fail if the valve is operated under pressure. Thanks for your response.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
RLS7201, you wouldn't happen to know what the manufacturer of the valve is would you? Or, what it's called? The name or contact of the guy that did the repair?

I have heard that's the easiest way to repair it, apparently there are small O rings that fail if the valve is operated under pressure. Thanks for your response.
I'm still in the stone ages with my 95 Bounder and am uninformed as to the name or part #s of the valve on your coach. I was in Naples, FL when I observed the valve repair and normally reside in the KC metro area.
If it was mine, I would disassemble the valve and take the "O" rings to a local seal/hydraulic shop or automotive parts house. Your old "O" rings can be matched up. Make sure the spindle and housing are clean and reassemble with a lube designed for valves, such as the faucets in your house.
While you're there, buy at least 2 sets of "O" rings. The failure will happen again.
All the doo-dads & foo-fahs on the newer RVs are why I keep driving my old coach, with the original, unrepaired, globe valve that pressure fills the fresh water tank.

Good luck with your repair
Richard
3 Years Wheel & Track Mechanic US Army. 11 Years Automotive Mechanic. 12 Years Operating Engineer Interstate Brands. 3 Years Job Shop Machinist. 11 Years Chief Engineer INX International. 10 Years RV Mobil Repair Owner operator.
RLS7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

Thanks for your quick reply Richard.

The more I look in to this I think I'll simply replace the existing valve with a high quality brass Anderson ball valve. The work will be all by "touch and feel" because it's behind a sheet metal panel that is impossible to remove easily.

When Fleetwood built this it probably would have cost them an extra buck to put in a quality brass ball valve. I'm sure they buy'm by the truck load.

Thanks for your time Richard.

Tags
tank, valve