RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2014, 12:20 AM   #1

Filling water tank via city water

I bought a 2008 Southwind. It offers the option of filling the water tank via a valve/handle at the city water connection. My question: If I hook up the city water and turn the handle to "fill tank", how do I know when it's full? It's not like on my old Dutchstar which had the tank under the bed where I could see the water level.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #2

Just open gravity fill door then cap and fill tell water spills. You need to remove gravity fill cap anyways to vent tank or tank will swell and may damage floor.

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #3

I presume most rigs are like mine. There is an overflow tube. I simply keep the water on until water runs out the overflow onto the ground, if I desire a full tank.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #4

Doesn't it have a tank fill gauge inside along with the grey and black tank gauge.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

When I fill my Southwind I push the button for the fresh water. That said I have over filled and there is a tube under the rv that just spills to the ground when over filled.
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You'll have a sensor, as mentioned. You should crawl under locate the overfill tube to become acquainted with its position. You must open the gravity fill tank to prevent damage. Pretty simple, welcome to the owners forum!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
You should take the cap off the gravity fill to help it vent, and at that point you will see it overflow and it will also gurgle just prior to being totally full.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #8

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the help. I bought the Southwind (totally unplanned) in Ft. Lauderdale while on a trip in my old Dutchstar and returned to St. Louis in it during a break in the cold weather. Had to immediately winterize and cover it, so I haven't really had a lot of time (or need, thank God) to crawl underneath and check things out down there. Weather just warming up now and we're gonna head to the Grand Canyon in a few weeks. I'm sure I'll learn a lot more about it on that month long trip.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't say what model you have so this may or may not help: our 2007 Bounder 35E has the same system. If I open the basement storage door next to the entrance door I can see my fresh water tank. It's translucent so I can monitor the water level in the tank visually.

As others have said, you should always open the gravity feed port to allow the tank to vent as you fill it - the installed vent line may or may not be able to keep up with full city water pressure and flow.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 87 Southwind does not have a vent/overflow tube that I can find, so I have to fill with the city water on very low and still get air pressure buildup that spurts water back out the fill spout, not a very good design. One of my many projects planned for it is to put in an over flow tube so the air has a way to escape and to tell me when the tank is full. We do have a gauge in the motorhome that monitors the level, but that does not help the blow-back problem
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

Do you not have a fresh water fill (gravity-type) on the exterior of the coach? If so, you can simply remove the cap and the tank will be vented fine when filling with city water hook-up. When the water overflows, you will know the tank is full. I can hear mine gurgle or hiss when close to fill as the air escapes. I may be missing something in your last comment, though.
BigOilJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While I admit I haven't seen every RV ever built, I have never heard of one built without a vent for the fresh water tank. We did have a fifth wheel that was built with the vent line about 2 feet too long - it had a kink in it that prevented it from working, but it was there. I simply cut it the right length and it worked fine after that.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOilJones View Post
Do you not have a fresh water fill (gravity-type) on the exterior of the coach? If so, you can simply remove the cap and the tank will be vented fine when filling with city water hook-up. When the water overflows, you will know the tank is full. I can hear mine gurgle or hiss when close to fill as the air escapes. I may be missing something in your last comment, though.
Yes, I have a gravity fill port, but even with the water flowing more than a trickle there is a build up of pressure and when the gurgle begins, I remove the hose and wait for the air pressure to blow out, along with water--got soaked the first time i tried to fill the tank--that is why I think that there is no vent, either that or it is plugged, When I get it back from the rv dealer, I will go underneath and check it out closer.

Berniece and Russell Johnson with LilBit, the Netherland Dwarf Rabbit who knows she is the queen
1987 Southwind
2004 Kia Sedona
Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers often
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #14

Don't know if you've solved your water fill issues but here's what I've used in the past.
Camco RV Water Tank Filler

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water