Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #1

Filling with fuel ?

We have a 2010 Revolution 43T and ever since we have had it I have problems when filling the diesel tanks. Whenever it gets full the pump cuts off but fuel washes down the side of the coach. At truck stops with high volume pumps it's a major mess; and even at a low volume pumps it still overflows. I monitor the gallons going in and when I get close to what I think will fill it up I proceed at a very slow pace, but it still spills over.
The fuel fills are more like automotive type fuel caps with very little slope into the tank. My last coach had large metal fuel caps similar to what is on tractor trailers and I never had a problem with them.
Is there something I am doing wrong or can the fuel fill be converted to a truck style fuel cap.

Thanks
NCTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #2

mind does the same if I run the pump to fast i slow down the prob. is the foam
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
sounds like the inverse of the problem I'm having with my old and worn fill vent line...

my situation is only an issue when I'm being OCD by wanting to put every last drop in the tank I can get there like checking mpg on a run through some mountain passes

Yesterday pm I filled with 26gallons having gone 217 miles from Eugene to Sisters on Friday evening (interesting story there) and then a sightseeing run and back through sisters to Bend.

Coming up the hill on 126 I pull over to a wayside to allow a line of cars to pass me... even waited an extra 30 seconds for the straggler in that line to go by. Get back on the road and I'm still coaxing it up to sped whan BAM! a tree comes down right across the roadway.

Fellow in a Dodge van with a trailer coming the other way *smoked* his brakes but managed to stop just in time. to avoid the fallen tree.

About ten of us jumped out with various implements of destruction and ha the road cleared in about ten minutes. You should have seen this one woman (65 if a day) stroking down with her bow saw. Country girls.. you gotta love 'em.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only thing you're doing "wrong" is trying to flow too much volume into to small a pipe. The back flow "splash" is the air trapped in the tank forcing fuel out as it fills. The fuel cap has nothing to do with what's happening. Have you tried removing the opposite side cap whenever fueling?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Have you tried removing the opposite side cap whenever fueling?
That can lead to more excitement than you expected.

It could be a kinked or improperly routed vent or a bad design of the filler pipe and/or location.

Location is not really changeable.

Some Newmars had the filler mounted too low and Newmar had to redesign and install a new body panel with the filler mounted higher.

You should be able to fuel at the faster rate if everything is correct,

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #6

Mine does the same thing. Putting it in slowly helps but stiil gurgles out. I think the design is wrong, and not the vent pipe. Opening the other side could just flow more out that side, espiecially if tilted to that side.
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
That can lead to more excitement than you expected.
Just what Fleetwood technical support recommended to a friend of mine, I don't have any personal experience and the FW tech probably didn't either.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #8

I have the same issue with my 2007 Bounder diesel. If I do not open both fuel doors then the fuel nozzle will just keep shutting off. I know about haw many gallons the tank needs and start slowing down the pump when it starts to get full. The fast fuel pumps guarantee a fuel spill.
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #9

I believe this is a known problem w/ the Revs, and some AC units. Robbie

'06 AWD Saturn Vue-toad
riggarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

On my AC, the fill tube is plenty big enough, but the angle to the tank is very shallow and the vent line rather small too. Get lots of splash back unless the coach happens to be tilted away from the pump. Sometimes I have to open the other filler (opposite side), but that risks an overflow there. Lost 3-4 gallons that way, once. Now I run back and forth if I do that.

Basically the problem is that the filler port on a motorhome is often barely above tank level. Not much can be done about it, unless you want to put a fuel filler port up in the living room.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:34 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Diesel Pump Issue

We have two filler tubes.
We open both. I fill on one side while the CINC listens on the other.
When she hears the fuel coming (yes, you can hear it) she lets me know
and I slow down the fill rate.

With out the other door opened the back flow from captured air results
in a diesel bath for you and the coach.

Hope this helps.

nam.64
nam.64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #12

Thanks for all the input. I guess that I will have to live with a tank that is almost full. I just wish that Fleetwood would use a better design. A larger fill opening like used on large trucks would solve the problem, but I don't see anyway that an owner can modify it.
NCTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I think you have the large truck size fuel opening - the truck size nozzle on the truck island diesel pumps wouldn't fit if you did not. I have the big filler port - it still can be a major nuisance to get fuel in.

It's not really the fuel port size - it is insufficient venting combined with the diesel propensity to foam. The foamy fuel clogs the filler tube and the vent line is unable to handle the air flow. That's why opening the other filler helps - it's a giant vent line.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #14

I fueled up last week and the coach was leaning forward. I set the handle to its lowest setting and wahed the windshield. When I checked on the progress the tank had clicked off but the fuel was running out of the tank. I tried to pull out the nozzle and put the cap on quickly but in turn dropped the cap and it rolled under the coach, the fuel is still gushing out of the fill tube. I grabbed the washer stick and fished the cap back from under the gushing diesel fuel and finally got the cap back on. The fuel was still running out. I lost about three gallons of fuel onto the ground and ruined my favorite shows.
I now feel the vent pipe is too small or mislocated. How could that much extra fuel be pumped into the tank? I dont feel foam is the problem since I have never seen any foam in the fuel neck, only diesel clear to the top. The pumps never click off as if there was foam, they just push out diesel.
I wish Fleetwood/AC would have a RECALL on the fuel filler systems. It is a true safety hazard and the Service centers are stuck with the cleanup.
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote