RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

First trip successful but with issues - Discovery

Hi guys, I just wanted to tell you about our first trip in the MH and to get your thoughts about a few things. Our first trip was to the Clemson Georgia football game this past weekend in Clemson SC, about 250 miles away. The DW and 4 kids (6-10yo) went along and all had a really good time. I did, too, but there were a few stressful moments. Our RV site on campus doesn't have hookups, but that is not really a problem for the Friday noon to Sunday trip.

Set up went smoothly and there were no issues on Friday. But sometime during the first night the generator shut down. The DW woke me up to till me it was hot. So I got up and the generator restarted fine on the first try and all was well. Later during the day on Saturday, I noticed that only one of the two A/C units were running. It was a hot day Saturday and we had lots of people dropping by and the door was constantly being opened/closed. I believe the ECC will turn off (SHED) power to one or both of the A/C's if the overall usage reaches the maximum. At least I assume this was what was happening.

My first head scratcher was that my power load was the same. ..a few lights outside, TV, Satellite, etc. Both A/Cs ran fine all night but as the day got hotter, they started to SHED. I supposed as the temperature rises, the head pressure could get higher causing the compressor to work harder, drawing more current. Is this common? Shouldn't my genny run both A/Cs on a hot day?

The next problem happened around 2pm on Saturday. The DW tells me the "water is off". The water pump was not working. (Ok, I've had some issues with the water system in the driveway that I've discussed in other posts. Cloudy water, blown fuses). The (7.5amp) fuse was blown. I swapped the fuse and all was well for a little while. About an hour later she say's it's off again. I change the fuse and it blows immediately. I disconnect the hoses to the water pump, replaced the fuse with a (15amp - all that I had) and it starts working again. I reconnect the hoses and problem is solved for a little while. About an hour before kickoff, the DH texts me to say she smells something "electrical". I remove the fuse and inspect the pump. It's HOT and smells - most likely a goner. Fortunately, there are a few water connections scattered about for about 400 RV's. My neighbor (3 spots down from me) had water and I Y'd into him. With the water back on, I go to game. Clemson wins! Everything is OK around midnight when I get back to the MH. Both AC's are running.

About 6am Sunday morning, the DW wakes me again to tell me she's hot. The genny is off again. I go restart it, it runs for about 45 seconds the turns off and won't restart. The LP tank is empty. The genny had ran from about 2pm Friday thru early Sunday morning, practically nonstop. 25.9 gallons to refill the tank when we got home. I figure about 0.7gals/hour. Is that about right?

With no generator (and no A/C) we decided to pack it up early. Ironically, my other LP tank (used for appliances) was full. Is there no way to use that fuel so that I can get more run time? Or is there a way to hook up a propane cylinder ?

The last thing is this... I think my oil pressure gauge is malfunctioning. The PO told me that the gauge always read "H" while driving. It reads Normal at idle. I also observed this in the 460 mile trip back home when I first picked up the RV. However, on the way to Clemson this weekend, the gauge pegged out, way past the "H". Sometimes it would jump between H and pegged. This is a bit unsettling. The temperature remained normal. Is this something simple like a sending unit?

Overall, we had a great time even with the few set backs. We noted a few things to fix/change before the next trip, like bring MORE ICE. Can't wait until next week! Getting a new water pump this week, any recommendations?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

The oil pressure more than likely is a sending unit, especially if the gauge needle shoots up very quickly.
I don't have an LP generator, but my diesel generator uses a gallon per hour under nominal load.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Ours is a diesel 7500 Onan and it will easily run both A/C's. I don't know about the propane generators? The fuse on the water pump was most likely burning out because the pump was going bad and pulling more amps than the fuse could handle. The oil gauge is a sending unit and it may be going bad. But, the gauges are there for a reason and I would get it checked out before your next trip.