Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Flashing lights

I thought I was doing a helpful jestur by flashing my lights for passing vehicles. Turns out I was just moving a switch.

I thought that pulling the turn signal switch would flash the lights on my 05 Providence. Nothing happens . Is it broke? Also I have an ICC switch on the panel. What does this do? Walked around the coach while the switch was pushed, but nothing.

Suggestions?
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you mean you attempt to flash the front lights when the headlight switch is not on? If so that is how mine work (or not work). When I start the headlights are on all the time---I cannot flash them with the dim/bright switch (turn signal). I think this is just how it is made.

So you can run with your light on if you wan then it will work----or in my case I flash my driving lights which are lower but seems to get attention===like when I tell an 18 wheeler he has past my front and can move over etc;

I hope I understood correctly--------?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
On our Bounder, to flash the headlights, I do pull the turn signal handle towards me. I would think your Providence would work the same. Please be aware this is not a good practice when it's dark out because it can distract or blind oncoming vehicles.

The ICC (stands for Interstate Commerce Commission) switch flashes your marker lights which are the lights running across the top of your coach.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Horace, I assume you are on a Freightliner chassis. If so (they provide the switches), the driving lamps can not be flashed to high beam for signaling. If you drive with the headlamps on then you can do as you say. Have you noticed the 18 wheelers not signaling as much when its clear to pull back in front of them? One driver told me it has become an issue due to someone getting sued over being signaled and then coming back over to quickly and having a collision.

The ICC switch flashes the clearance lamps as Lori stated. They only work while the key is on and the transmission is in D.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
My Freightliner chassis has full time headlights and the dimmer does not work when the headlight switch is off. My remedy is to turn the headlights on, switch the dimmer to high beams and leave them there. When I want to signal a truck to pull in, I just turn on the headlights. This switches them from low beams to high beams.

My coach doesn't have a clearance light flash switch. To 'thank' someone for flashing at me, I just blink the 4-way flashers a couple of times.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well Mr. S. Though your plan works. Please use LOW BEAMS, even in daylight high beams can "Dazzle" an oncoming driver and that is not a good thing. High beams are for two things, A brief blink to signal a truck it's clear to pull in front of you and night driving when there is not another car in sight in front of you. NOT for routine driving.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #7

I believe Mr S drives with his daylight driving lights on ( not his hi beams) but when his headlights have been preset to hi beam if he just turns them on momentarily that serves as his flash. Unfortunately ( or perhaps fortunately) the daylight running lights cannot be turned off on my Bounder as they can on my towed.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights