Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #1

Fleetwood 33C awning help

Our new automatic Carefree awning got badly stuck when a small branch got rolled up inside the awning when we retracted it at a campground yesterday. We finally got it unstuck enough to remove the twig that had caused the problem. The awning fabric was roughed up and now there's a pinhole were the twig rolled up tightly into the box.

We never had this problem with other RV awnings because the twigs and leaves would just fall off as we retracted the awning. (My wife would use a broom to brush off any leaves that stuck to the fabric as we rolled it in).

When this Carefree awning retracts, it rolls up into its box. We would have to climb on top of the MH every time before retracting, to make sure no twigs were laying on the awning.

Those of you who have a similar Carefree awning, how do you tackle this problem? Now we're afraid to even put the awning out, for fear another twig will get rolled up inside the box, damaging the fabric again.

Thanks,
David
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 12:09 AM   #2

Well there is awning tape you can use for the hole. I always get up on my roof and broom of any slides as mine are not covered. If my awning folded out like that I guess I'd check that too.
vdubbugman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My Carefree does not roll up into a box. I have found that it does roll up easier if the leading edge is dropped. If you drop the leading edge before rolling it up it would preform two functions, one it is easier on the motor in the roller, and two you could visually check the surface of the awning for debris.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
My Carefree does not roll up into a box. I have found that it does roll up easier if the leading edge is dropped. If you drop the leading edge before rolling it up it would preform two functions, one it is easier on the motor in the roller, and two you could visually check the surface of the awning for debris.
The awning on the 2017 Fleetwood Bounder 33C is supported by three folding arms that extend outward under the fabric. There are no side support arms like on other types of awnings, therefore, no way of lowering the leading edge (like we used to do on our travel trailer).

David
Old 06-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #5

Can you use that same broom to tap the awning from below starting at the top to bounce off any debris sitting on it, just before you roll it up?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepar108 View Post
Can you use that same broom to tap the awning from below starting at the top to bounce off any debris sitting on it, just before you roll it up?
Of course the other problem is that this awning has a motion sensor that automatically retracts it whenever there's a breeze, thus trapping debris before we have a chance to "bounce" it off. I'm going to have to disconnect that sensor somehow.

There's very little slope, so some debris stays up there unless we get up on the roof to brush it off. The problem is that the roller is inside a box attached to the side of the motorhome, unlike other awnings where the roller is located on the extended edge and debris falls off as you retract it.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #7

The pitch of the awning can be adjusted.
Also, if you contact Carefree of Colorado there is a new sensor that is not as sensitive. Email them with your model number and they will let you know. It is a free warranty item.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
The pitch of the awning can be adjusted.
Also, if you contact Carefree of Colorado there is a new sensor that is not as sensitive. Email them with your model number and they will let you know. It is a free warranty item.
Hi Computerguy.....yep, I know about adjusting the pitch and the replacement motion sensor. Not sure if the pitch can be adjusted enough to really matter.

Does your 2016 have the same box awning? Curious how you handle twigs and debris getting accidentally rolled up into the awning?

I still plan on completely disabling the sensor even though it has it's good points. One twig on the awning and too much breeze will roll it up and possibly damage the fabric (again). We like wooded campsites.

Thanks,
David

Tags
awning, fleetwood