Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #1

Fleetwood 40G Pig with lipstick?

We have a friend who has saved for many years to buy there first class A. They asked me for advice but I can not really help them because I do not know much about Fleetwood. I am not here bashing any MH. I told them to look at Ventanas floorplans but they like FW floorplans better and it is 35k less than the Ventana. They our scared now to purchase the 40G because I told them I thought the Newmar was better should have shut my mouth any thoughts would be helpful.They are going to follow this thread, Thanks in advance Mindy.
Ranger521c is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2017, 03:09 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd kiss that pig!

As with any motor home you are going to find people who love'em and hate'em. Our previous coach was a 2008 Fleetwood Expedition, we owned it 4 years and put 24k miles on it. Overall it was a well made coach, yes we had repairs but you will on any 10 year old coach.

When we started shopping for our next coach we looked at Newmar and Tiffin. Both coaches are nice but as your friend has noted they run $30-50K more than the Fleetwood Discovery LXEs. Plus you can pretty easily get 30-35% off MSRP on a Fleetwood, which for our pocket book was very important.

We are now the proud owners of a 2018 Discovery, we have had it a little over a week now. We found a few items that needed to be addressed at our PDI, but it was all minor issues. In the week we have lived in the rig, we have found a few "I wish they did this instead of that" but overall we are very happy with the Discovery. Buyers remorse? Not at all!

In the end it is personal choice. If you like the floor plan, features and are comfortable with the price then go for it.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:49 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just my 2 cents. I've owned two Fleetwoods over the last eight years. One used, 03 Excursion, pre REV. The other a REV Product...2012 Providence 42M. It's now 6 years old, looks new, and operates exceptionally well. FW "technical support" was and still is helpful in resolving everyday issues, this is important, very important. ALL...motorhomes will have new coach issues. Sadly, this is the overall state of the RV industry! You need to be mechanically inclined and willing to maintain these machines, without exception. FW several years past put all their eggs in one basket with the Discovery DP models and QC is as good as any manufacturer this day and time. Would I buy a Newmar KA, Entegra Cornerstone, Tiffin Zephyr or American Eagle Heritage package? Of course if money was no object. If you like the floor plan you'll find the quality, factory support as good if not better than comparable manufacturers. One important and much overlooked point...your dealer should be a major decision on purchase. Do your upmost due diligence on their business reputation. This will save you money but above all irreplaceable TIME
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We love our 40G. Had a few warts but Fleetwood took really good care of us. There is no perfect motorhome. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

We love our Discovery 40E. Had a Tiffin gasser prior to this one. I really feel you get a lot of bang for your buck with the Discovery line of motor homes
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:05 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bought our 2018 40G at General RV in SLC when we were visiting our son out there in August. Didn't plan on it, traded in our V10 gasser and drove it home to NY. I really like the unit and it is well built. The only warranty issue I see right now is the way the Girard awning is installed. But since we are going back out to SLC again with it we will stop by the REV plant and have them fix it. Other than that I have not had any issues and I really went over it with a fine tooth come before I took delivery. And to us it looks more like a transformer than a pig.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:37 PM   #7

It’s kinda like saying ford is better then gm. Yes we all have our preferences and also some seem to compare products that aren’t similar in price, targeted market etc.

Fleetwood makes good stuff. Are there better coaches out there? Well it depends on what FW product your talking about and also what your comparing it to
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #8

We looked at Newmar's a couple of times at a dealer near us and was just not impressed with interior appearance of the coach. We looked at gassers, Vantanna & Dutch Star. Everyone seems to think highly of the quality so I don't have much doubt about that, but if I wasn't impressed by the interior appearance, I wouldn't be happy with the coach.

Rev Group makes their own tube & truss chassis and uses Freightliner front and rear clips to complete it. I watched a video about the chassis and they claim it's the stiffest chassis on the market. The less twist the chassis has, the less twist the coach body has to endure. I looked at the ends of my frame rails to see how the tube rails were made. There's no doubt the tube rails are so much stiffer than the standard "C" channel rails are that they are not even in the same class. We are very pleased with our Discovery 40D on the XCM chassis and after I got the alignment where I wanted it (not in Freightliner specs) it handles well, steers easy and we're ready for the road anytime.

I'm continually adding small improvements to make the coach the way we want it for our convenience. I suppose it will never quite be done but I enjoy doing it.

If your friends think they would like a Fleetwood, I don't think they would be disappointed with the coach. Likely one of the best units on the market for the money.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
We moved up to a 2017 Discovery 40G in January of this year. We absolutely love the coach and it has held up quite well for the first year. We've had the usual fit and finish items that needed addressed through warranty, but nothing major.

As a previous poster mentioned - the local dealer has a lot to do with the experience.
anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

We purchased a used 2014 40G 4 months ago. Have had only one major issue with the chassis AC compressor going out, which is not fleetwoods problem. Some minor issues with the king bed hinge ripping out from the force of the gas spring lifts, ans a upper door track needing additional support. Other than that it's been a good coach.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm hoping one of you owners know where the fuse to the outdoor radio is? I was installing a new radio and blew it, but cannot locate the fuse for it.
Nathan951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #11

Was the title of your post a fair comment about FW when you claim to know very little about them, and state your assessment was based solely on your preference of floor plans?
Hardly the basis for the title "Pig In Lipstick"
If the forum is to be used for sourcing or sharing of information, let's be careful to be fact based.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Was the title of your post a fair comment about FW when you claim to know very little about them, and state your assessment was based solely on your preference of floor plans?
Hardly the basis for the title "Pig In Lipstick"
If the forum is to be used for sourcing or sharing of information, let's be careful to be fact based.

Well said. It's sad the OP chose an uninformed and disparaging title, and then bailed on his own posted topic.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think it was a great post title! If you have ever walked into a 2012-2013 Forest River gasser you'd think the same thing. Looks all snazzy, until you get past the glitz and start seeing the shoddy construction. So the OP is asking, is the Discovery a gussied up pig or a motor home with substance? Maybe the OP bailed on the thread, doesn't change the "read" count. Feeling a little defensive boys?
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have put over 10K on our 40G since the spring and love it. The bunkhouse is great for the kids when sleeping in. Couple of minor issues - nothing major that we couldn't live with or get fixed when in for service. when we were RV shopping we just couldn't justify spending a lot more for some of the others - and the disco was in our desired price range.

good luck happy glamping