Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
That stress crack is not limited to Bounders, or Fleetwoods - it's an industry-wide issue. The panel is a single sheet of fiberglass, and holes are cut into it for doors, windows, vents, and slides. In the case of doors and windows the corners are usually rounded for the radius corners of the frames. But in the case of slides the corners are generally left square. As the rig is driven the sides flex from movement, air pressure, etc. and the corners of those cutouts are weak points where stress cracks form.

The solution is to radius the corners when they're cut, or to otherwise eliminate the corner. The solution our service shop chooses is to cut a vertical seam from the corner down to the edge of the panel and cover the cut with a piece of molding that matches the rest of the molding on the unit. That removes the stress point at the corner and you can't tell that it wasn't done at the factory. It's a lot easier and less expensive fix than replacing the entire wall, which will still have that sharp corner built in to it.
From what I can see of the picture,and comparing it to the body on my terra 35k,
the side wall on the bounder ends at the beltline of the coach(floorline).Fleetwood uses that interlocking channel to hold the wall to the floor,and that the bottom of the slide out opening is too close to the bottom edge thus making it weak.On the terra the sidewall ends at the bottom,below the cargo holds,with radiused edge cargo doors cut out of side wall,which ultimately leaves about 2 ft from bottom of slide opening to bottom of side wall,we have a 2013 ,no cracks at that spot.IMHO,design flaw,Alan's fix makes sense to me ,controlled expansion joint,with sealant and trim. I'm not thinking it has anything to do with rounded vs squared corners, just the proximity to the bottom edge of sidewall.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Alan's Fix.

Tiffin has experienced the same issue with multiple models. There fix is as described, cut the seam to relieve the pressure. Add molding with matching color and move on down the road. FW will repair the issue or authorize a qualified dealership or body shop to effect a repair. Personally I would add matching molding to maintain appearance. However, I'm very OCD. I know your frustration over what I call "new coach blues". Been there, relax go with the flow. FW was excellent in handling my issues and I used the "blues" as a learning experience for my new systems.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #17
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same coach also purchased March of 15. I had a list for the factory to repair (I never go to a dealership it's always a waste of time/money) and one of the items was a 3-4 inch stress crack at the top left corner where the bedroom slide comes in. They did a great job of fixing and finishing about 4 months ago now still looks perfect after another 3500 miles of road travel.
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #18

Can you post a picture of the repair?

Hi if could please post a picture of the repair you did on your 2015 Bounder
I'm starting the prosses of getting mine fixed so I would like to see the the fix they did for you.
Thank you much Steve St. Martin
kg6vvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #19
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here you go Steve - ignore the AZ dust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	115529  
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
You'll notice the emphasis on "qualified" dealership. They do exist.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #21

I have seen quite a few people driving around with improperly adjusted anti-billow arms on their slide toppers! Jammed right up against the outer wall, OUCH! I'll have to remember to take a picture next time.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fleetwood