Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #1

I have a 2003 Discovery 39C. 330hp Cat. The unit has 17,000 miles on it and I just put the third alternator in it. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #2

Has anyone actually examined the "defective" units to determine what aspect of the alternators had failed.I have seen numerous units replaced that only required four dollars worth of brushes to return it to service!This is unlikely the case in your case due to the low mileage,but the principle is the same.The alternator is composed of many parts that each has a function and some external factor may be causing the high failure rate.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #3

I have an '03 Bounder with a Cummins ISB and had to replace my alternator at 20K on the mileage. $450 for the replacement. Technician disassembled at my request. The diode was cracked/broken and had caused the unit to cease operation. I have heard from others of the exact same problem.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Diode failure is the most common alternator problem and can easily be rebuilt in an alternator shop. Most dealers simply replace the alternator with a rebuilt, but you could remove it yourself and take it to motor/alternator shop and save a lot.

As to why you suffered three failures in 5 years, it is hard to say. If it is diodes or windings, it could be moisture problems, which could stem from relative lack of use. If it is mechanical failure it could be a misaligned pully or too much tension on the drive belt. Without knowing the nature of the failure it is all guesswork.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bounderoo:
I have an '03 Bounder with a Cummins ISB and had to replace my alternator at 20K on the mileage. $450 for the replacement. Technician disassembled at my request. The diode was cracked/broken and had caused the unit to cease operation. I have heard from others of the exact same problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would hope that you were able to pay the core charge and take the alternator with you since the failed diodes constitute a relatively insignificant fault.When you get to a place where you can get it repaired,the result will be an inexpensive spare to have on hand.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #6

We have an 03 330 Cat and have replaced the 2nd alternator - going bigger each time. The second time it failed, it shut down our entire electrical system. Our 6 speed Allyson module had to be re-booted to the tune of $1300.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
We have an 03 330 Cat and have replaced the 2nd alternator - going bigger each time. The second time it failed, it shut down our entire electrical system. Our 6 speed Allyson module had to be re-booted to the tune of $1300.
You do know if you see that it has quit working. Start your generator and you should be good to go.

That is if your Inverter/Charger is set up to charge both house and chassis batteries.

Allison doesn't care where its 12V comes from.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
You do know if you see that it has quit working. Start your generator and you should be good to go.

That is if your Inverter/Charger is set up to charge both house and chassis batteries.

Allison doesn't care where its 12V comes from.
Yes, we drove home from Texas the first time on generator power. This time we didn't get the chance. Transmission was shut down before we realized what was happening. The first time, we got dash lights to warn us in plenty of time. 2nd time - dash lights were too late. :-(
Old 03-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks like a VMSpc program could have saved you some money.
You can set a alarm on it for different warnings.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2001 Bounder 39Z Alternator Problems

I have a 2001 Bounder 39Z and while on a trip this week the voltage meter slowly dropped to zero and when I pulled over rose up a bit but seemed when load was applied(lights, Trans, radio, etc) it dropped again also alternator warning light illuminated. I started the AC Generator and completed my trip. Now it's time for repair I need to know if it's the alternator or possibly something else, from my mechanics experience over the years I believe it's the alternator. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:43 AM   #11

Probably is alternator but what is causing it. Mechanics not sure why ours went. Completed trip on generator first time but couldn't do that the second time. Module on Tranny had to be re-burned. $1300. In 04 Fleetwood added a safety for the tranny. Mechanic installed the safety on ours this time so we shouldn't do that much damage again. I would ask about having that done. Apparently there was a recall but it didn't include our coach.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #12

Alternator Problems

I have a 2000 Bounder and just lost my forth alternator. The 130 amp unit failed twice. Then Fleetwood advised changing to a 160 amp unit,it failed so I went to a 200 amp unit and it lasted the longest,but this past month it failed. With the 200 amp unit I decided to go with a 14.5 regulator in place of the stock 13.5 regulator.
The ECM thought the voltage was a little high at times and the dash check engine light would light from time to time.
Will rebuild the 200 amp unit again with the 13.5 regulator and go with that.
The issue is heat in my humble opinion. So with that in mind a little further investigation into a possible increase in the size of the heat sink for the diode assembly will be the net step. Also will make sure there is plenty of thermal grease on the mounting assembly for the diodes.
Wondering what alternator manufacture is failing on all of you coach's. I know the model of mine and have some thoughts along that line also.
Delco, Leece Neville or Motorola.

Dick.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #13

Have emailed Fleetwood for insight. We got our coach home and it still has a problem. There is a short somewhere. Sometimes 12V works - sometimes not. Think we have not yet found the cause of the problem.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #14

PrairieGirl,been reading your posts and it leads me to bad connections on the Alternator or the battery terminals. the problem could be a intermittent ground connection somewhere it the charging circuit. Just loose,corroded or a cable/wire just hinging by the isolation.
When an alternator fails the diodes fail,bearings fail or windings fail. Bad brushes can cause them to come and go also.
You just have to love RVing Dick.

Dick.