RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery Muffler removal

Hi Guys,
I have a weird situation with my 2008 Fleetwood Discovery. I run a little hot when hauling the trailer on the freeway. i feel like it struggles a bit at higher speeds with a heavy load.
Anyway, I contacted a couple companies and found out that it is not a muffler at all.......it's called an EFT Filter. It has a wire coming out of the pipe after the large canister and a couple of valves on it!
Please help me get rid of this muffler (eft filter)!!!
Thanks Guys!
Craig

Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oooops sorry it is called a DPF Filter.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

Is your engine a Cat or a Cummins? Why do you think the problem is the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) ? Have you inspected the rad to see if the exterior of the core is plugged with dirt and oil? That DPF is worth thousands of dollars. The Cat DPF can be cleaned with a mechanical tool. The Cummins would have to be done in a machine. Unless you have a few hundred thousand miles I doubt your problem is the DPF.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check the engine air inlet hose in the rear closet area. Mine was kinked from the factory. I discovered this accidentally while working to route some wiring back there. I straightened out the kink as much as I could and it made a noticeable improvement in power as well as a slight improvement in fuel economy.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DPF's and other re-gen or any of the new EPA mandated "emission control" items are a disaster, one problem in the system will cause a basic shut down of the engine, or a limit of a "limp home" mode. They are causing a lot of un-needed down time in the trucking industry. That being said a google search of 18 wheeler DPF removal or DPF removal will show every thing you need to know to remove it and modify the ECM to accept the removal.

You may want to look for Pittsburg Power, they are real good!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #6

239141: You are correct that emission systems in the trucking industry are a nightmare. But keep in mind that an OTR truck does more miles in one year than most MH's reach in 10. Very few MH owners have problems with the DPF system. The Cat is different as they do not produce any MH engines at this time and deserted the owners of the 07 emission engines. The only people selling dpf delete kits are fly by night. Pittsburg Power became a "legitimate" company and do not sell anything that affects the legality of your emission system. I would never recommend that anyone tamper with the emission system. California would probably sentence you to death! Other states will eventually adapt all the CARB standards. In the meantime the EPA has done the following:

In a court settlement with the EPA, Edge Products, a manufacturer of electronic power modules for diesel engines, has agreed to pay a $500,000 fine for manufacturing and selling electronic devices that allowed owners of Chevy, GMC, Ford and Dodge/Ram diesel pickup trucks (2007 and later) to remove the programming for diesel particulate filters from their vehicles.
The Ogden, Utah, company is reported to have sold more than 9,000 units from January 2009 through April 2011. This is said to have resulted in an estimated 158 tons of excess particulate matter emissions — the equivalent of 422 new long-haul semitrailers operating for 29 years, according to the EPA.
The civil penalty of $500,000 is based on the United States’ determination that Edge Products has a limited ability to pay a penalty in this matter.
In addition to the fine, Edge Products is required to offer to buy back the devices. To sell the device back to the company, the truck from which the device came must be returned to its original factory programming. Edge Products is also required to spend at least $157,600 to implement an emission mitigation project to offset the excess particulate matter emissions it caused. Edge Products will use the additional funds to offer rebates to individuals who own old wood-burning stoves and wish to replace them with cleaner burning appliances such as new pellet stoves or EPA-certified wood stoves.
Shortly after the U.S. introduction of diesel particulate filters in the in 2007, a number of suppliers started offering DPF removal kits (also known as “DPF delete” kits). These kits allow for the removal of the DPF without triggering any engine trouble codes, with potential side benefits being improved vehicle mileage and performance. The kits were also popular with diesel truck racers who wanted to run their daily driver at the track.
Most of the kits targeted three-quarter- and one-ton turbodiesel engines (mostly Duramax and Powerstroke). The case against Edge Products appears to be the first instance of an enforcement action by the U.S. against the sales and installation of DPF delete kits.
To our knowledge, there are no companies selling these types of kits at this date. For more EPA information on the case and settlement, click here.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Craig If you figure it out, let me know, will jerk mine off tomorrow. DPF's suck so bad its pitiful. I asked around a little and did not far, found a guy who said he could do it for $1,500, but don't think he knew what he was talking about.

I have one of those programmers that got baned that I use on my Duramax to do a DPF delete, have not had a DPF on my truck for over 100K miles now, love the way my baby can breath when I stomp on it. Roll some coal!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Craig If you figure it out, let me know, will jerk mine off tomorrow. DPF's suck so bad its pitiful. I asked around a little and did not far, found a guy who said he could do it for $1,500, but don't think he knew what he was talking about.

I have one of those programmers that got baned that I use on my Duramax to do a DPF delete, have not had a DPF on my truck for over 100K miles now, love the way my baby can breath when I stomp on it. Roll some coal!
LOL I just can't let this go! I am sure I can find someone to help me, I tried all the big boys in the industry and failed miserably. It is a huge power robber and I am afraid it is being very tough on my Turbo! I will continue the search and let you know.
If you find an option please let me know!
Thanks Guys

Tags
fleetwood, removal