RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

Fleetwood Discovery vs Winnie Journey?

Need your opinions. Upgrading from an older gas Winne Adventurer to a diesel pusher. The DW and I will be using 3 to 4 months per year. Kind of narrowed down our search to a 2003 to 2006 Discovery or Journey. Both lengths would be 39' and both look like nice coaches. I know I'm asking Fleetwood owners the their opinions on both coaches so expect the Discovery will be more favorable by this crowd (and if I asked the Winne owners, the opinions would probably be different) ... but would like to hear your opinion on some of the differences and why one is a better choice then the other?

Finally, what is the entry coach for Fleetwood during these years and then which is the top of the line (with models in between)?

Thanks all for your help/opinion ... Tom

Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Here's the Fleetwood pecking order and starting prices, as of this month:

- Providence, $336K
- Discovery, $271k
- Expedition, $245k
- Excursion, $180k

Back in the years you are talking about, the top FW was the Revolution, which is now the entry level coach for FW's American Coach line.

Which floor plan do you like best? For coaches of the same year, the gasser vs DP question is an easy one for me...DP.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #3

We have a 2008 Providence and love the coach. One thing through 2007 the Discovery had a Cat engine after that 2008 forward it is a Cummins. Both great engines but I was told the Cat maintenance is more expensive. Also our rig is a freightliner chassis which is outstanding.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Look at the 2008 Tuscany.I know you didn't ask about Damon but I looked at Discovery at time I bought this and they are both about same.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In my opinion, you won't go wrong with either. Among our RV friends I can count multiples of either and all seem happy with their experience, and from what I've seen, both are nice coaches in their market niche.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #6

I agree with Jay, very similar units, either one should fill your needs.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
We have a 2008 Providence and love the coach. One thing through 2007 the Discovery had a Cat engine after that 2008 forward it is a Cummins. Both great engines but I was told the Cat maintenance is more expensive. Also our rig is a freightliner chassis which is outstanding.
Unless there's a significant difference between Dodge's Cummins and the different HP Cummins put into MH's....I have both a Cat and a Cummins and Maintenance has been the same? Back to the OP...we have friends that have an HR and they love it and we are more than satisfied with our Discovery. So I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Choose the Discovery. Why, FW customer service, for one, great Discovery Owners forum. Opens the door for answers to your new to you coach! Best of luck!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #9

Thanks all for the opinions. As suggested by DBOL I'll also take a look at the Damon and the HR suggested by Csrrsr in about the same size. Since they are all pretty similar coaches and I will checked on NADA to see if they are similar in used prices, then I should also throw the other coaches into the mix. Thanks Cat320 for ranking the Fleetwood coaches ... that also helps. But guess in the other manufacturer of coaches I don't know if I'm comparing apples to apples. Is there somewhere on line where there is a pecking order of the other coaches?

The reason I was trying to stay 36 to 39 feet for length is so when not in use, I can fit it in the garage and still have a little room to walk around it. I might be able to go a couple of feet longer, but then the rear of the coach will be against the rear wall and the front near or touching the overhead door ... and prefer not to have it that way.

Thanks again ... it's nice to hear from you experienced MH owners ... Tom
Old 12-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Unless there's a significant difference between Dodge's Cummins and the different HP Cummins put into MH's....I have both a Cat and a Cummins and Maintenance has been the same? Back to the OP...we have friends that have an HR and they love it and we are more than satisfied with our Discovery. So I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Just saying don't have any experience but I was told that by a friend who was a diesel mechanic.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #11

DBOL ... I did take a look at the 2008 Tuscany and the DW did like the center island in the kitchen. I just don't know if this would be a plus or perhaps a pain when moving around the coach. Also, their length is 40.6' which is a little longer than we wanted to go (garage); however, looking on NADA I see the Astoria and Astoria Pacific models are come 37 - 38' size. Will do more research and see what these older 2003 to 2006 models have for interior.

nbargold: Can't comment on which engine requires more maintenance ... I still try to do most the fluid/filter maintenance and simple repairs myself on the several diesel engines I have now in tractors and pickups. Your mechanic certainly has a lot more experience at doing major work on these motors than I'll ever have so would trust his experience.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Many of the manufacturers list the starting prices on thier web sites...that's where I got the information for FW.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #13

I own a 2003 Discovery CAT 330 engine. Model 39S. I love my coach but as you know there is always going to somethings you like and don't like on any model. Some of the little things are the location of the main TV, light switches the co-drivers seat" recliner". Some I can change and some I can't do anything about. 1. Light switches you have to turn each one on/off separately. 2. The location of the main TV and the co-drivers seat which is a recliner, it's hard to watch TV from that location with your head up. And setting on the sofa's with your head turned and up hurts my neck. I'm going to change that with a flat screen TV with a television cart and put it near the dining room. That problem solved. Don't know what to do about the light switches, anybody got any ideas? It's just little things inside and out. Another one is the Black and gray tank hookups, there is not much room for you to connect to the hose to go out, I'm going to ask around if it can be turned and shorten to make more room. Like I said one can find lots of small issues with any coach. I know you will be satisfied with the Discovery coach. Everybody that has ridden with me can't believe the smooth ride. It just floats over the road. The dealer I brought it from said he would buy all the 2003 Discovery's he could find because they are so good and he has no trouble selling them. I can believe him on that. Good luck!
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #14

Thanks Donwat91 with the feedback on the 2003 Discovery ... the likes and some of the smaller annoyances. I think I may have seen a couple on line in my searches over the past couple of months. Will definitely consider. Were there many changes (and perhaps you don't know) between the 2003 and the 2005 standard equipment?

Tags
fleetwood, journey