Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #813

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
So many people complain about their RV lights. My 2013 Discovery 40G must be an anomaly, as I really can't complain about the light output. I do use the fog lights almost all the time to help illuminate the road close to me, but I do that on my car too. I do wish that I had better reverse lights and brighter docking lights. I improved the docking lights by replacing the OEM ones with LED versions, but still wish there were more lights along the 40' coach than just the one-per-side located near the rear wheels. I also hate the design of the light over the engine compartment and will replace that someday when I get the courage to actually cut into the fiberglass.... or maybe not.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #814
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mst0neham123 View Post
I've looked at the mirrors on back of the living area wall TV. How do you get them off? How do you get to the back of the front TV?
Gently pry the 4 little covers off (one on each corner of the mirror). That exposes the screws that are holding the mirror on. Be sure to close the toilet lid before you begin.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #815

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
So many people complain about their RV lights. My 2013 Discovery 40G must be an anomaly, as I really can't complain about the light output. I do use the fog lights almost all the time to help illuminate the road close to me, but I do that on my car too. I do wish that I had better reverse lights and brighter docking lights. I improved the docking lights by replacing the OEM ones with LED versions, but still wish there were more lights along the 40' coach than just the one-per-side located near the rear wheels. I also hate the design of the light over the engine compartment and will replace that someday when I get the courage to actually cut into the fiberglass.... or maybe not.
My Pace Arrow came with a marker light in the engine compartment. Fleetwood had used a marker light with a clear lens. It was like a candle. I went to exit 201 on I-75. They have a store called the chrome shop. It is for 18 wheelers but a lot of the stuff is great for motorhomes. I bought a LED back up light for trucks. Now my hood area is as bright as daylight.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #816

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Looks really nice. I have often wanted to change my headlight assemblies to be more modern - but my model of Fleetwood has all the lights individual. If someone has any info for the lights on a 2013 Expedition - it would be appreciated.
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #817

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
Looks really nice. I have often wanted to change my headlight assemblies to be more modern - but my model of Fleetwood has all the lights individual. If someone has any info for the lights on a 2013 Expedition - it would be appreciated.
Look at the outside of the headlights and see if they have a number on them, and if so Google that number. It should indicate what vehicle the headlights were originally manufactured for. For instance on my 06 coach, the headlights have a number TYC 20-6439 which indicates it is for a Ford F series truck. Then you can look for some super duper replacements.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #818

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Gently pry the 4 little covers off (one on each corner of the mirror). That exposes the screws that are holding the mirror on. Be sure to close the toilet lid before you begin.

Anyone know how to get replacement pictures? Mine is missing the top left on. Fleetwood Bounder 35k.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #819

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sure Fleetwood could supply them. They have been similar for the last couple years
Old 09-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #820

Ford Super Duty Owner
Front TV. Was the old box one with a VCR. We took that down, then took the lazy susan down.

We bought this:
Amazon.com: MX Desk Mount LCD Arm: Computers & Accessories

Old 09-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #821

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post
Eddie,

It's a La-Z-Boy Pinnacle Reclina-Way.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, i.e. sleep in the dog house, due to wifey's foot surgery, but I slept on the flexless steel couch folded up and this one is way more comfy just sitting on it. So, I don't think I'd have a problem sleeping in the dog house on this one.
Yes, there is plenty of room when it's lounged out. The supporting feet are right at the edge of the slide floor in ours, no problem with hitting the wall.
Sarah has a 33C, as you do, and she was the first one to put this sofa in. So it should fit. She has a thread regarding the flexless steel sofa removal as well as the mods to the window things. Not sure how to attach threads yet, but search for la-z-boy sofa install or something similar and it should come up. Also, it's on the first or second page of this thread.
Many thanks Sarah!

Now for the dimensions:

Pinnacle Reclina-Way® Full Reclining Sofa
Product Dimensions as shown:
Overall : 41.00" H x 81.50" W x 38.00" D
Seat : 20.00" H x 68.50" W x 20.00" D

My closed fist is 4" wide, that is more or less how much room is left on each side of the sofa from the cabinet and dinette. Plenty to reach the recliner levers.
Good luck with it. I think you'll be pleased with the results.
Rich

Boy this L sofa topic has legs!
Just purchased 2016 35K and haven't even picked it up yet. Part of the deal is for them to remove that L sofa and if they have a spare loveseat to put in it's place. Otherwise to leave the space empty. The facing dinette is coming out also but I'll do that one.
I am going to be close to the CCC on this coach and was just wondering if anyone has the weight of the 'lovely' L sofa? I need to make sure the Lazyboy I put in it's place is less than that.
Thanks in advance for any info and great thread!
Cheers
Old 09-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #822

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Replaced Surface Mounted CO detector with Flush Mount

The CO detector in the master bedroom of our 2013 Discovery 40G died prematurely. These are supposed to have a 5-year effective life, however they are known to fail early, and after following the instructions for troubleshooting the specific beep pattern mine was emitting, I concluded that it needed to be replaced.

To be perfectly honest, I was somewhat relieved when I concluded this because I hate to waste money, but I never liked the way Fleetwood installed this CO detector in the first place, so I was happy to replace it with a better design. Regrettably, I did not take a "before" photo of this CO detector to share, and I invite anyone to upload a picture of their CO detector if your install sounds like mine.

Fleetwood installed my CO detector on a wall that is adjacent and at a 90 degree angle from a very nice storage cupboard on the left side of the master bed. Unfortunately, the unit was a round surface mounted detector similar to a common home smoke alarm. It stuck out about 2" from the wall surface, and was mounted so close to the adjacent cupboard door that the door would only open about half way. This severely limited the storage capacity and ease with which items could be stowed or removed from the cabinet.

The original CO detector did have one very nice feature in that it was powered by two independent 12v power supplies. I assumed, and later verified, that one of the positive (+) leads went to the chassis battery bank, and the other went to the house batteries. This was a great safety measure, however I learned that the company that made these CO detectors went out of business, and I was not successful at finding any leftover inventory to purchase. No other company made dual-powered units like this either. Besides that, I wanted to improve the installation design by using a flush-mount CO detector that did not interfere with the storage compartment, so even if I could have replaced the unit with the original, I probably wouldn't have done so.

My options for replacement units were wide open, and basically fell into two decisions: (1) flush mount (yes) or surface mount (no), and (2) 9V battery-only unit or 12v. power supply from either of the RV battery banks. I decided on a flush mount that would use one of the two 12v. wires that were available to me. I will also supplement this CO detector with a second detector that runs from a 9V battery, but that is not "RV-specific", so not as expensive, and possibly not as robust to the life of an RV (temperature and humidity swings, etc.)

The unit I chose is here: Amazon.com: MTI Industries 65-542 12-V Flush Mount Hard Wired Carbon Monoxide Alarm: Automotive

I concluded that NONE of the RV-CO detectors that I researched had 100% glowing reviews. Just about every model I read about had at least a few very negative reviews from people. Most complaints were about false-alarms or premature failures. I did not find any CO detectors that was absent these two complaints, however the one I settled on seemed to have more positive than negative reviews, so hopefully it'll hold up fairly well for me.

Now for the install.. The pictures that I uploaded (hopefully) show the three basic steps of the install. First I had to test the wiring to determine which positive (+) was routed to the house batteries. I did this using a 12v. test lamp and by turning on/off the "aux" and "main" switches located near the front door of my RV. I learned which of the two (+) wires was powered by the chassis vs. house batteries, and I decided to use the house batteries for this CO detector.

Given this information, I then snipped off the 3-wire harness that was part of the original CO detector and made a retrofit for the replacement CO detector. This involved capping the unused (+) wire and connecting the remaining (+) and (-) wires to the new CO detector.

Finally, I had to cut the hole in the wall that would be just the right size for the flush-mounted CO detector. With some careful measuring, feeling around, and eventually cutting, I was able to mount the new unit in the same place as the original. NOTE: I was unable to mount it "sideways" as I had originally intended because of obstructions behind the wall and to the left and right of the hole where the wires were located. Instead, I mounted the unit "up-and-down." This does not affect function, but the anesthetics are slightly annoying because the writing on the face of the unit are now sideways.

Ultimately I was very happy with the finished product. The new unit works as designed, but the new install is better than original. The flush mount did exactly what it was supposed to do. The cabinet door opens all the way now and provides 100% access to that cabinet, turning a previously poorly utilized compartment into prime storage real estate.

My only concern with this whole project is the possibility that, when this CO detector dies, I may have difficulty finding an exact replacement. This could present a bit of a challenge in dealing with a rectangle hole instead of the smaller circular one, but I'm willing to take the risk. At least for the next 3-5 years I'll have a working CO detector and an accessible storage compartment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	107546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	107547  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	107548  
Old 09-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #823
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Nice write up & install! Thanks for posting that.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #824

I need one and dislike the surface mount and really like the one you installed!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:05 AM   #825

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #826

Discovery sofa help

I have followed everyone's sofa removal and replacement with great interest and hope in my heart! We have a 2015 Discovery (just moved from the Bounder 35K, always wanted to remove the sofa, never did), and once again, we have the instrument of torture, AKA the sofa. The added wrinkle is that it has the pull out bed. We're almost sure the Pinnacle will work, but will measure more precisely, but has anyone had experience removing the sofa in a Discovery? DH is quite handy, and more importantly, he hates the sofa, too, so I want to strike while the iron is hot! As always, thanks to everyone!
Fulltime and loving it!
lsw9658 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood