Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #1

Fleetwood’s Response to peeling material

I sent a letter along with photographs to Fleetwood, Flexsteel, Lazydays and Motorhome Magazine expressing my displeasure with the poor quality material used on my driver and passenger seats, the L-Shaped sofa and the dinette benches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3518.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	180300

I only use the driver’s seat while driving and I have driven it about 16,000 miles. We do not live in it full time. It is only used about 50 days per year.

I will say that Fleetwood did contact me by phone, however their response was to blame the material supplier. It seems that Fleetwood buys the material and supplies it to Flexsteel or whomever is manufacturing the furniture. So, a company which made possibly a $20 profit on the sale of my RV, made the decision that I should not be reimbursed for having to replace my 3 1/2 year old furniture. Fleetwood gets a “F” for their customer support after warranty. Furniture covering was warranted for 1 year. Fleetwood would not admit that the material was defective even though it peeled everyplace it was sewn.

I installed a Lazyboy recliner and four folding chairs. After removing the old furniture, they were donated to someone who’s RV had flooded during Hurricane Irma and they had no money or insurance to replace their furniture (At least one good thing came out of Fleetwood supplying poor quality furniture).

I still need to use the driver’s seat, so has anyone purchased covers for their seats? I would appreciate any references where I can purchase good quality covers.

Thanks,

Jim
2014 Bounder 35K
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #2

Actually, it is the tanneries fault (assuming that the cover is leather). One year leather warranty is standard in the home furnishings industry. Usually top coated leather will last for many years, but sometimes there is a bad batch from the tannery and the top coat peels much quicker than normal.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #3

I have a 2014 35K bounder. Did you any cleaning material on your furniture? I'm afraid that our furniture will do the same in time.
Gefan
Old 10-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Actually, it is the tanneries fault (assuming that the cover is leather). One year leather warranty is standard in the home furnishings industry. Usually top coated leather will last for many years, but sometimes there is a bad batch from the tannery and the top coat peels much quicker than normal.
Bounder does not have leather
Old 10-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

Maybe bonded leather? Low quality bonded leather will peel.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Maybe bonded leather? Low quality bonded leather will peel.
I'll say it again, the Bounder of this era does not have leather seats, not even bonded leather.

They are a knock off of "ultra leather" if I understand correctly. Polyurethane. That is what my chairs say on the label.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #7

I doubt anything under $500,000 has real leather. But there are various grades of Ultra Leather.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geffanning View Post
I have a 2014 35K bounder. Did you any cleaning material on your furniture? I'm afraid that our furniture will do the same in time.
Gefan

No cleaning material used, just mild soapy water when needed.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I'll say it again, the Bounder of this era does not have leather seats, not even bonded leather.

They are a knock off of "ultra leather" if I understand correctly. Polyurethane. That is what my chairs say on the label.

The Bounder does not come with leather. However, the cloth fabric in my 2010 Dodge Ram looked pretty amazing after 70,000 miles. This is just a case of poor quality material being used on seat coverings.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I doubt anything under $500,000 has real leather. But there are various grades of Ultra Leather.
Just to put that in perspective when we ordered my wife’s Mercedes in 2013 real leather was an option and the dealer told us most of their cars did not have real leather anymore. Also our coach a big brother to the Fleetwood does not have real leather and it had MSRP of around $550k. We also have some excess wear on the drivers seat in our coach BTW.

Tom
Old 10-22-2017, 06:02 AM   #11

If is is PU, then it is either real crappy PU, or a bad batch. It should last longer than 3 years, but usually warrantied for 1. Time to get it recovered in a material that you like. (Always trying to look at the bright side)
Old 10-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #12

I have a similar situation going on in my Terra.

The sofa material, a vinyl/leather looking material, is cracking and peeling like sunburned skin, all over....

A bit out of warranty so I'm thinking I'll have it re-upholstered

Anybody know of and can recommend a good quality, long(er) lasting material?

I don't mind spending a few bucks..... with-in reason obviously
Old 10-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #13

Most leather is tanned in China because of EPA regulations. Sadly it’s very poor quality
Old 10-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkenhall View Post
Most leather is tanned in China because of EPA regulations. Sadly it’s very poor quality
It's not leather. It's vinyl simulated leather. Made badly right here in the good ol USA. Fleetwood is not the only mfr to have this issue. Best option is to re-upholster with Ultra-Leather. Pricey but UL has a good reputation for holding up.

Tags
fleetwood