Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Fog Light Replacement 1997 Dream

So...without even looking other than measuring I ordered a replacement LED light that will fit in the stock fog light location.

I have held it up to the existing light and they are almost exactly the same size.

Ok so now I'm being lazy. I know there is a circuit breaker in the dash for the fog lights, but do not remember it's amperage rating. I will look tomorrow, but does anyone know off hand what it is?

What I am wondering is if I need to set up a relay to carry the current for the LED lights.

I will have two, using the amperage formula, each light uses 18 watts at 12 volts which means each light will use 1.5 amps. The side of the box lists this;
Power Consumption 13 watts
Voltage 12 - 24 VDC
Current Draw 0.97
Lumens 1350
Dimensions 5.71" X 1.79" X 2.6"

I think I am ok just to remove the existing fog lights and install these with no changes to the existing wiring.

Product Description

This high-powered LED work light is great for off-road driving lights, daytime running lights, or fog lights on your motorcycle, truck, ATV, or UTV and can also be used for industrial lighting, marine lighting, and tractor lighting. The 5.5" rectangle work light has 6 powerful LEDs that produce 1,350 raw lumens of cool white light. LEDs emit either a 30° or 60° beam pattern. The durable LED work light is waterproof and shock resistant. A black-painted aluminum housing and polycarbonate lens protect internal components, and an integral heat sink allows LEDs to run cool, which leads to an incredibly long life span. The LED work light is capable of being driven at 18 watts but typically consumes 12.4 watts of power. The light has an adjustable stainless steel mounting bracket and operates within a wide 12-24V DC range. Lifetime warranty on all LED work lights.

I will write the install up and post the results.

I ordered the 30 degree pattern.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Cool - those look like they will fit good. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they work at night. I think you're right, will probably pull less current than the old lights.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #3

Sounds like an awesome idea. Are they DOT certified?
wizechatmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #4
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizechatmgr View Post
Sounds like an awesome idea. Are they DOT certified?
I did not find any DOT information on the box or lights. I would have to assume they are not. I am really afraid they are going to be to bright. That is ok I will find other places to use them. I have them installed on the motor home now and am waiting for dark to take some pictures. I will also do a complete project summery in my thread.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fog Light Replacement with LED lights

I have added to my thread the Fog Light replacement with LEDs post.

These lights are in fact to bright.

I will have to remove them, but I have a good place for them. I will put them on the back of my trailer to use as loading lights.

I will need to find another set of lights more suitable for fog lights on the front of the motor home.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-03-2017, 05:13 AM   #6

Glen,

Last year I replaced my headlight and driving light bulbs with HID in my 96 eagle and what a huge difference. Ive had them in for over 6,000 miles now and still going strong they give off a nice white light Makes them look very updated I didnt replace the high beam as they are HID and need to warm up, But now never use high as these are plenty bright

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

96eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #7

You Guy's have more options than I do having an older 92.
My headlights are the older H series and I have up graded them to Halogen's and seem to be ok.
My factory Fog's are made by Grote Lighting.Severe heavy duty S/S cases, mounted to the front steel frame-hence --no vibration issues.
However in Glenn's case: I searched a little and I don't fine much in a true LED Fog light.
Look Here >Per-Lux® Fog & Driving Light Product Family - Grote Industries
- You have more options by just replacing the bulbs for more effective lighting, as 96Eagle has suggested.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96eagle View Post
Glen,

Last year I replaced my headlight and driving light bulbs with HID in my 96 eagle and what a huge difference. Ive had them in for over 6,000 miles now and still going strong they give off a nice white light Makes them look very updated I didnt replace the high beam as they are HID and need to warm up, But now never use high as these are plenty bright

Did you have to modify the headlamps for those things? Or do they just replace factory bulbs?
Old 06-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
You Guy's have more options than I do having an older 92.
My headlights are the older H series and I have up graded them to Halogen's and seem to be ok.
My factory Fog's are made by Grote Lighting.Severe heavy duty S/S cases, mounted to the front steel frame-hence --no vibration issues.
However in Glenn's case: I searched a little and I don't fine much in a true LED Fog light.
Look Here >Per-Lux® Fog & Driving Light Product Family - Grote Industries
- You have more options by just replacing the bulbs for more effective lighting, as 96Eagle has suggested.

The original light bucket is no good and needs to be replaced, upgrading the bulb is not an option.

I will look into Per-Lux® Fog & Driving Light Product Family - Grote Industries, they do not list the dimensions.

Found them. They are too large by a bunch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	163945  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Does anyone know who made these or can pick a part number off it?

I think they were on a number of year coaches.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-04-2017, 07:50 AM   #11

I'm keeping an eye on this thread. A piece of wood hit my fog light on my 2002 Eagle and shattered the cover.I can't find a replacement. (PIAA).
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Just so it's posted here also for future reference. Brand is "NAL" North American Lighting and it appears something similar was used on 1992-1997 Mercury Cougar XR7's and not sure what year Ford Aspire

Old 06-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #13
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
These do seem to look very similar and will fit in the opening (XR-7 lights)

on e-bay

Fit Milan 5 x 1.75" Square Bumper Driving Clear Fog Light Lamp Switch & Harness

Fit Milan 5 x 1.75" Square Bumper Driving Clear Fog Light Lamp Switch & Harness | eBay

5" x 1-3/4"

There is also a conversion kit

880/881/896/893 6000K White DC Slim Ballast Xenon HID Conversion Kit Fog Lights

880/881/896/893 6000K White DC Slim Ballast Xenon HID Conversion Kit Fog Lights | eBay

Can someone educate me please? Do they draw more current, are they brighter? Too bright?

I have also come across these which would fill the holes a little more

Driving / Fog Light: NV-515W

Description:

• Navigator 5-3/4 inch x 2 inch Rectangular Fog Light Kit, H.I.D. White
  • UPC: 757558885152
  • Weight: 1.8 lbs
They have a 55 Watt bulb, and do not say how many lumens?

Pilot Automotive Driving / Fog Light NV-515W

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?????????

What have you guys done?

These seem more like replacements, not upgrades and if I'm going to do this I would like to UPGRADE.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
I think either of those with the HID conversion would be bright enough, and at least these two (unlike the LED earlier ones) have lenses to focus the beam much better. My two cents, get the regular bulb setup and try em' out and see if they do the trick, not bright enough add the HID Kit. I'll just tag along and let you be the guinea pig haha.

Oh, something else to look at as well - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O0AIOS/

Tags
light, replacement, replace, ace